Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2017, 07:37 AM   #1
steve1981
Registered Member

Would this plumbing work

Hi. Was wondering if this layout would work? It's a separate loop from the sump to feed auxiliary filters.

I thought having the loop continue round instead of stopping after the input the last filter would reduce back pressure on the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 05:34 AM   #2
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

You're just going to dump it back in the sump rather then send it to the DT?

I could work, but with the 'T' fittings, if there isn't enough pressure in the system you may not get as much flow to the filters as you want/need. Consider a valve in the line rwtuning the water as well as the ones to each filter. And I can't recommend this strongly enough, in this system, you may really need to do fine tuning. So gate valves rather than ball valves and a DC pump with some speed control. It will make life MUCH simpler in the long run.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Unread 02/20/2017, 08:05 AM   #3
VGT
Registered Member

Probably not the most efficient way to do it. Would prefer two smaller pumps running direct to the items. That said, if this is the way you want to go, you need a third valve AFTER the two items so that you cane ensure enough backpressure to feed the UV/Reactor.

Water will preferentially bypass each item and just loop back around.

VGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 08:08 AM   #4
steve1981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGT View Post
Probably not the most efficient way to do it. Would prefer two smaller pumps running direct to the items. That said, if this is the way you want to go, you need a third valve AFTER the two items so that you cane ensure enough backpressure to feed the UV/Reactor.

Water will preferentially bypass each item and just loop back around.

I have kinda changed the design a little from the picture above. To this.

Unread 02/20/2017, 08:09 AM   #5
VGT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1981 View Post

That'll work great.

Unread 02/20/2017, 08:11 AM   #6
steve1981
Registered Member

Quote:
That'll work great.

Thanks mate.

Unread 02/20/2017, 08:23 AM   #7
WWIII
Registered Member

I would personally dump the water back into the sump from the uv sterilizer and reactor separately just to prevent any backpressure of water trying to come in the wrong way on the uv sterilizer. Then again i dont have a uv sterilizer, so im not sure if this would really cause any issues? If they both dumped into the sump individually it would be easier to see any flow changes from the reactor becoming clogged. Having said that, it should work ok as you have it.

WWIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 08:27 AM   #8
steve1981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIII View Post
I would personally dump the water back into the sump from the uv sterilizer and reactor separately just to prevent any backpressure of water trying to come in the wrong way on the uv sterilizer. Then again i dont have a uv sterilizer, so im not sure if this would really cause any issues? If they both dumped into the sump individually it would be easier to see any flow changes from the reactor becoming clogged. Having said that, it should work ok as you have it.

Are you referring to my second updated diagram? I don't plan on having any salve on the UV steriliser now. I will on the reactor as that only needs a small amount of flow, but the UV can handle 1900Lp/h and the pump I'll be using is only rated at 1000. So taking away the flow for the reactor, the remainder can easily be taken through the UV so a valve wouldn't be doing anything.

Unread 02/20/2017, 08:30 AM   #9
steve1981
Registered Member

Quote:
Are you referring to my second updated diagram? I don't plan on having any salve on the UV steriliser now. I will on the reactor as that only needs a small amount of flow, but the UV can handle 1900Lp/h and the pump I'll be using is only rated at 1000. So taking away the flow for the reactor, the remainder can easily be taken through the UV so a valve wouldn't be doing anything.

I see what you mean now. Well I put the reactor and uV this way round because the reactor is only a slow flow and the UV faster so assume that the faster flow of the uv will take presidency. But guess I will have to try it and see.

Unread 02/20/2017, 09:06 AM   #10
WWIII
Registered Member

Yes thats exactly what im wondering. I figure the stronger flow from the uv sterilizer will prevent this from happening, but now that i look again, it will also try to come back up the reactor the wrong way. I honestly think it will work as you have it, i would just watch for that issue. Im not sure what would happen if the water came in the wrong way on the reactor or uv sterilizer? If at all possible, i still would have them dump into the sump separately. They can run off the same manifold on the input side, just have independent outputs going back to the sump.

If you do try it how you have it drawn up, let us know how it goes!

WWIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 09:13 AM   #11
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:
Hi. Was wondering if this layout would work? It's a separate loop from the sump to feed auxiliary filters.

I thought having the loop continue round instead of stopping after the input the last filter would reduce back pressure on the pump.

That's not going to work, you won't get any flow through the filters. You will have nearly the same pressure on both intake/out put for each. So the water won't move.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 09:14 AM   #12
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:

Much better.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 02/20/2017, 09:29 AM   #13
Colt1911
Registered Member

2nd design is better.

Colt1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 09:32 AM   #14
steve1981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bif24701 View Post
Much better.

Thanks. What's your opinion on WWIII comments about flowback?

Unread 02/20/2017, 10:02 AM   #15
VGT
Registered Member

Quote:

Only suggestion there would be have the UV reactor join the return at a 45 degree angle. 45 from the UV joining to a wye on the return plumbing. Entering a T, the flow will try to split left and right, but entering on an angle will just join the flow (in fact will create a bit of a scavenging effect and help pull water from the reactor).

Either way shouldn't be an issue.

Unread 02/20/2017, 10:08 AM   #16
steve1981
Registered Member

Quote:
Only suggestion there would be have the UV reactor join the return at a 45 degree angle. 45 from the UV joining to a wye on the return plumbing. Entering a T, the flow will try to split left and right, but entering on an angle will just join the flow (in fact will create a bit of a scavenging effect and help pull water from the reactor).

Either way shouldn't be an issue.

Can you get y pieces? I haven't seen any where I'm getting. My stuff from. Will call and ask or eBay it. Great idea thanks.

Unread 02/20/2017, 10:11 AM   #17
VGT
Registered Member

Quote:
Can you get y pieces? I haven't seen any where I'm getting. My stuff from. Will call and ask or eBay it. Great idea thanks.

Probably not stocked in small sizes at local stores, but its available. Can order online or check with a plumbing supply store.

http://pvcpipesupplies.com/3-4-pvc-s...t-475-007.html

Unread 02/20/2017, 02:11 PM   #18
bif24701
Registered Member

Quote:

Well what every device you restrict the most will be further reduced flow by the back pressure. Because there will be an imbalance of pressure and flow when you tune the reactor and UV. Why must you have one return rather than each dump directly to the sump? UVs need very slow flow and reactors need to be tuned and adjusted as they get clogged. Design 2 will be difficult to keep tuned. Having a manifold to supply each device is great but even if each device has its own unrestricted drain each adjustment to one device could effect the other. Usually that's not much of a problem if the pump keeps manifold pressure constant, what would require and oversized pump. Still not plumping the outputs together will cause inconsistencies either way.

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Unread 02/20/2017, 02:55 PM   #19
GimpyFin
Registered Member

IMO, I'd either run two small pumps (One to each) with flow control valves or, hook a Y fitting right off the pump with a couple flow control valves to control flow to each, and then run tubing/piping from there to the UV and the reactor. Even with the second diagram, I think you're still going to have issues getting adequate flow through the UV with the T fitting. I would also not tie the exit lines together as someone else mentioned, just have them dump back into the sump separately. Anyway, just my $.02.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote