Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2008, 10:22 AM   #1
tami1024
Registered Member

Lights out!

Ok I will ask this question one more time. Is it safe to do a 3 day lights out to eliminate the algea problem I have with an anenome in the tank? Obviously the 30+ RC members that looked at my last post had no clue!

tami1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2008, 10:29 AM   #2
plyle02
Registered Member

No offense, but this topic has been beat to death in AquaBuckets thread about lights out for 3 days. It is not that 30+ RC members don't have a clue, it's that most would take the time to read a previous thread, where many Q&A's were discussed. IMO though, if SPS corals can survive, I can only imagine a nem could too....... This takes place in nature where storms render reefs lightless for days at a time..... Just my 2 cents.....

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2008, 10:53 AM   #3
tami1024
Registered Member

Thanks for the input. Read through Aquabuckets threads but never saw anything about a nem and the 3 day lights out. If there was something mentioned in the previous threads I obviously missed it. I do apologize! My bad!

Current Tank Info: 29 gal with,1 multi rock, multiple mushrooms,1 rock nem, a few snails, 1 harlequin star,2 kenya trees,1 scallop and 1 mandarin goby named Gray!! 75 gal has 1 rock nem, 1 GBTA, 1 brittle star, 2 damsels and 1 tom clown
tami1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2008, 11:20 AM   #4
plyle02
Registered Member

Are you currently using RO/DI w/ zero on TDS? What are your phosphate and nitrates reading? Is your skimmer working up to par? Just a thought, I would really look at the source of the algae, and get to the root of the problem, as to avoid having to do lights out to patch an algae problem. Elevated nitrates and phosphates are usually the cause of algae issues. Get them in check, for example, set-up a fuge with macro algae, and maybe purchase a phosphate reactor. Also, maybe time to check those bulbs...... Just a thought! Noticed your in Jupiter, my father lives there, I love that town!

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote