Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/27/2008, 10:25 PM   #1
chicken
Premium Member

Best way to transfer Salt

Hi, I am trying to figure out a way to get salt from the buckets to my mix up tank. Its a 900g tank that sits in an insulated covered bump out on the side of my filter shed for my large system. The problem is that I hurt my back a few weeks ago and today I need to lift up the roof on the bump out covering the mix up tank (~125 lbs) and then haul up 5 buckets of salt. Lets just say my back is hurting every time I have to do this. I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how I could transfer the salt from the buckets directly into the tank without having to literally dump them into the tank. I have seen vacuum setups at like Costco where they roast coffee beans and then transfer them from one container to another with a vacuum hose. Anyone seen any setup like this or have any other ideas? Thanks

chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2008, 10:57 PM   #2
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

There are several ways you could do this.

1) use compressed air and a venturi to create suction. The venturi would go at the placement location and the suction hose on the salt bucket.

2) use a modified shop vac to pull the salt up and dump it into the tank. If you want to get crazy, combine 1 and 2 and create a cyclonic type "dust collector" to suck the material up to your level and let it drop out on its own (no bucket to empty at the top).

3) use air pressure to push the salt to the placement location. You likely need a fluffer to get keep it moving and will need to consider safety precautions to prevent catastrophic failure.

4) Build a lifting aid using a block and tackle system. Easier than it sounds really.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2008, 11:00 PM   #3
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Option 1 and 2 are also easier than they sound. A bit of thought and research and you should be fine.

The biggest problem is going to be moisture and somehow cleaning the tools up when you are done so that the do not cake up.

http://books.google.com/books?id=QQ9...sult#PPA225,M1

Unread 10/27/2008, 11:08 PM   #4
chicken
Premium Member

Bean, Thanks for the info. I am also trying to figure out a way to hoist up the roof easier. The buckets are not a big deal, its just the roof. Its about 9'x4' and hinged along the long side against the shed. Between the structure of the roof and the shingles its about 125-150 lbs I suspect. Its not an any thing to open and close, little alone safe. I was originally going to do some sort of rigging to open and close it but have just not been able to find the hardware I need. Any ideas on how I could do that? I'll grab a picture of the shed tomorrow so you have an idea of what I am dealing with. Thanks!

Unread 10/27/2008, 11:20 PM   #5
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Sure... post some photos. There are plenty of ways to easily automate your roof.

Unread 10/28/2008, 01:21 PM   #6
chicken
Premium Member

Bean,
Here is a quick shot of the side of the bump out where my mix up tank is. The tank is a 900g tank (120" x 36" D x 48" T) The bump out is slightly larger as it is wrapped in 4" of ridged foam for insulation.

I was thinking of trying to use an electric hoist I picked up from harbor freight and mount it on the side of the shed and then run a cable up to a pulley on the upper shed roof but I just don't think I have a good enough angle to up the lower roof. My friend had an idea about building a track inside the bump out on top of the tank that an arm could ride in that could be pulled to push up the roof from the inside. I like that idea but have not been able to find any reasonably priced hardware to do this. Thanks!!

Unread 10/28/2008, 01:51 PM   #7
kcress
Registered Member

How about some lift gate spring/pneumatic rods? The purpose would be to make that roof seem like it weights only 2 or 3 pounds instead of its full weight.

kcress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2008, 01:53 PM   #8
murphysfish
Registered Member

super cool

those that dont try, never fail and are truly losers.
murphysfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2008, 02:17 AM   #9
chicken
Premium Member

Anyone know a place that sells life gate rods that list them by size and weight they can lift? All I can seem to find is look-ups based on car models. Thanks!

Unread 11/02/2008, 04:24 AM   #10
dots
Registered Member

I would look into Barn Door track and roll that thing out of your way.

Your salt, to make it as cheap/easy/no lifting as possible.......I would take something like a Brute trashcan on the ground. Add your salt all into the trashcan, pull a siphon off the tank and let gravity work for you dumping the water in the can, set a pump (figure a big Mag or something), lay the pump on the salt with another PH inside the can on top mixing the salt little by little.

As the salt disolves little by little, both pumps drop down to the bottom of the can. By adding the ever popular ball valves, you can play "submarine" and adjust the flow rates of the influent, effluent, and the water level in the can.

With a little tuning you should be able to put all your salt in, turn it on and wait for it to be all transfered and mixed at the same time.

Last edited by dots; 11/02/2008 at 04:30 AM.
dots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2008, 08:42 AM   #11
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Not a bad idea DOTS...

As far as "lift" options... there are a dozen ways to skin that cat.

Car hood hinges and springs would be an easy mod. You would want to find the cammed style so that the force was not linear (most modern hoods).

Heavy duty linear actuators could also be used.

If there is room on both sides of the lower box. an L shaped lever could be used to gain leverage with simple large springs or full automation with actuators or winch/gear motor.

A torsion spring (garage door, etc) could be used (placed along the top, hinged edge) to assist in lifting.

Etc.

Unread 11/02/2008, 09:39 AM   #12
Saboral
Registered Member

I would just mount a double wheel pulley on the side of the house and a cleat on the side of the shed. I think using a shop vac head mounted to the inlet of your tank would be awesome for throwing your salt into the tank with no lifting at all.

Saboral is offline   Reply With Quote