Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/24/2010, 08:07 PM   #1
FishNutty
Registered Member

10 Gallon Stocking

A 10 gallon nano reef is in my very near future, and I'm trying to figure out what to stock it with.
I already have a baby perc. clown and a peppermint shrimp(+coral, lol), so I need to go from there. For coral, I'm planning on keeping mostly softies.

I was thinking either

2 percula clowns
1 firefish goby
2-3 peppermint shrimp
+coral and other inverts

or
1 percula clown
1 firefish goby
1 four-stripe/black tail damsel
2-3 peppermint shrimp
+coral and other inverts

or

1 percula clown
1 firefish goby
1 yellow-tail damsel
2-3 peppermint shrimp
+coral and other inverts

I'll be starting with what I already have, of course and adding the others in over the next 6-9 months, but [I think?] if I want to go with the two percs I'd need to get another baby sooner than later in order to get a pair[?] Is a pair of clowns even worth it? I know they look cool and they seem nice, but......I'm sure there's a catch, LOL! I'm looking for some advice from those who know more about SW and these fish than I do[!!], since I'd really rather not mess the whole thing up. For what it's worth, the tank's going to be right by my deck in my bedroom, so it'll be a fairly quiet place, not a ton of foot traffic or anything.

Any advice, suggestions or insight would be great!
Thanks

FishNutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2010, 07:38 AM   #2
got2envy
hello fishy fishy

Get another clown, I think they look great in pairs. The larger will be the female.
Skip the damsels...in that sized tank with other fish it will fight as the clown and firefish are more docile...hows about a clown goby

Current Tank Info: 28g JBJ HQI, 40g Long Mixed Reef
got2envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2010, 08:24 AM   #3
MikeandNicole
Registered Member

+1 for going with the pair of clowns. We have had nothing but bad luck with aggressive damsels. If you really want the firefish than I would absoluely forgo the damsel. If the tank does not have a lid you might want to rethink the firefish as they are known to be jumpers.

MikeandNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2010, 08:13 PM   #4
FishNutty
Registered Member

I hadn't heard that about damsels! I've always liked the firefish, so having it covered was a must. I thought the clown pair was a good idea, but then I found that thread in the beginners forum, 'the truth about nemo' or something[?] and I got worried that maybe I wouldn't be able to handle a pair....

Unread 02/26/2010, 04:37 PM   #5
AARON167
Registered Member

+2 on NO damsels, pretty fish but mean

AARON167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2010, 05:19 PM   #6
FishNutty
Registered Member

Okay, after hearing all this, I'm reeeally not going any where near damsels!
My one clown is about 1 1/2in right now, how long can I safely wait to get another if I want a pair? Or will my first one just be the female if it gets larger before I get #2?

Unread 02/27/2010, 06:11 PM   #7
Agu
Registered Member

First of all. a pair of clowns will claim all of a ten gallon tank and harrass any fish appropriatelly sized for a ten gallon to death. Your current clown has probably changed sex into a female and she'll also do the same, even to a prospective mate. Pairing up an immature male with a dominante female is difficult at best. I suggest further research on the clownfish and anemone forum.

Disclaimer, I have two tens with paired clowns and know how aggressive they can be protecting their territory. They attack my hand incessantly if I dare put it in THEIR tank .

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Agu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2010, 06:29 PM   #8
FishNutty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agu View Post
First of all. a pair of clowns will claim all of a ten gallon tank and harrass any fish appropriatelly sized for a ten gallon to death. Your current clown has probably changed sex into a female and she'll also do the same, even to a prospective mate. Pairing up an immature male with a dominante female is difficult at best. I suggest further research on the clownfish and anemone forum.

Disclaimer, I have two tens with paired clowns and know how aggressive they can be protecting their territory. They attack my hand incessantly if I dare put it in THEIR tank .
I've tried to search the clown forum[and have been poking around], but for some reason I'm coming up with problems searching
I've only had the clown about 3 weeks, before that she was in a tank with a ton of juvies....it really happens that fast?

Unread 02/28/2010, 02:55 AM   #9
Alex0219
Registered Member

Also if you like Damsels, though I agree you should stay away from them, you could possibly go with Blue/Green Reef Chromis. They are docile and extremely hardy. I'm interested to see what you do with the 10 gallon as well as I might be setting up the same in the near future.

Alex0219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2010, 01:07 PM   #10
FishNutty
Registered Member

^I thought about those, but I think I want something a little different then them.

Unread 03/01/2010, 09:09 PM   #11
Agu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNutty View Post
I've tried to search the clown forum[and have been poking around], but for some reason I'm coming up with problems searching
I've only had the clown about 3 weeks, before that she was in a tank with a ton of juvies....it really happens that fast?

It probably hasn't changed yet, this is your window of opportunity if you want a pair of clowns.

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Agu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2010, 09:15 PM   #12
FishNutty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agu View Post
It probably hasn't changed yet, this is your window of opportunity if you want a pair of clowns.
Good to know....how long before the window 'closes' do you think? The 10 gallon was just setup Saturday and I'm planning on moving everyone over tomorrow as long as I can get my hands on a hydrometer that will do something other than stick at the highest reading, lol, but I don't want to push things by adding too much too fast.

Tags
10 gallon nano, clownfish, nano reef, perc