Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2010, 09:38 PM   #26
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

So Far have some nice sign of life already see a few Feather dusters.

Coasterfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2010, 10:14 PM   #27
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

also added a 1/2" Sea-Swirl unit. Got it at my LFS for 70% off. Mounted it in middle of tank and ordered a Y fitting to make it cover 180 degrees.

Unread 10/03/2010, 05:25 PM   #28
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

Here is the to unit I'm waiting on a auto top off to shut it off via a selenoid when my buckets full.

Unread 10/03/2010, 06:06 PM   #29
tinkerman
Registered Member

First off tank looks good so far. Like the rock, nice texture. Ok first I would get a aqualifter for your overflow. I started the same way and lost power one night and to make a long story short I drilled the tank the next weekend. Next I would get a refracometer, I couldn't believe the difference in sg after getting one. With the heaters I would get a controller, can't beat the reefkeeper lite for $100, other than controlling my heater I hate mine. Well thats the best wisdom I'll offer so far that I would have done different with mine at the piont you are at now.

tinkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2010, 07:06 PM   #30
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

Actually I do have an aqua lifter on my overflow. And I will look at the reef keeper lite thanks.

Unread 10/05/2010, 11:09 AM   #31
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

So here's an update on my tank. I added the rock, sand, filter sock, and a sea-swirl unit. I ordered a reefkeeper elite which I will do another video on when I get it. I will also be integrating a auto top off into the reefkeeper. So let me know what you think.

Last edited by Coasterfrk; 10/05/2010 at 11:17 AM.
Unread 10/05/2010, 05:39 PM   #32
punchedup
Registered Member

Your setup is gorgeous.
Solid build keep it up.
How long has the liverock been in?
Cycled yet?
Livestock plans?

punchedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2010, 06:07 PM   #33
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

Rocks been in 5 days. Only starting to see a little nitrite. I don't know how much of a cycle I will see with the live sand. I want mainly soft corals. Some anenomes, clown fish and a yellow tang. I also would love a blue tang I know your supposed to have them in larger tanks but we've had them in 55 gallon tanks successfully for years.

Unread 10/05/2010, 09:26 PM   #34
punchedup
Registered Member

I ignore most peoples flack about what size tanks are appropriate for certain fish.

Obviously we're not gonna put a bamboo shark in a 55 gallon tank, but gosh darnit if I want a hippo tang in my 55 gallon tank I'll put him in there and if he gets too big donate him to my LFS YEARS later.

As for sand cycling, that "live" sand you buy in a bag is a bit of a misnomer. It definitely has some bacteria in it, but what I consider to be live sand is sand crawling with worms, pods, tiny starfish, etc... All stuff that takes months to years to grow in your sand. If you find a local reefer with an established tank you might be able to snag a couple cupfuls of established sand to seed your bed. Be careful not to make the mistake that I did of throwing about 15 pounds of sand I got off my friend into my tank and really making a mess of my tank. Once you lose that clean white sand look it's impossible to get it back. (Don't get the wrong idea and think I'm saying you wasted your money buying the live sand. I bought it too. I'm not sure if it was worth it, but I'm sure it can't hurt.)

The amount of bacteria on the live rock exponentially outnumbers that in the sand. In a couple of weeks you should be well done with your cycle and ready to start stocking.

If you have any questions or need any advice feel free to get at me.

Good luck!

Last edited by punchedup; 10/05/2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: clarification
Unread 10/05/2010, 09:54 PM   #35
punchedup
Registered Member

I just wrote this post on another thread and I'm not sure if any of this applies to you but give it a read if you want.

"Whether or not you run your skimmer during your cycle doesn't matter. I can almost guarantee you that in 3 weeks or less after adding the last of your live rock your tank will fully cycle. I wouldn't run it personally but it really doesn't matter.

18 pounds of live rock should be just fine. A rough rule of thumb is a pound of live rock per gallon, but as long as you have a bunch you should be more focused on how your tank looks!

Make sure you set all of your rock up all pretty like now cause later on down the line it gets harder to move stuff around.

I would recommend against using activated carbon. There's really nothing that your live rock and protein skimmer can't handle filtration wise. You should consider replacing the carbon with floss (polyester fiberfill). What kind of filter are you running your carbon and sponge in? You can add floss pretty much any kind of filter: canister, hang on back, etc.

The idea I'm trying to get at here is that your live rock is going to do the work of converting ammonia into nitrites and nitrites into nitrates and nitrates feed algae and whatnot.

Your protein skimmer removes dissolved organic matter that builds up in the water.

Now your sponge and floss remove "floaty" particles. Basically you run floss and sponges to make the water look pretty. You use your circulation to get detritus afloat and your floss removes that crap.

In my opinion LiveRock/Sand, Skimmer, and floss is all you need.

You asked whether or not your going to have to extend your cycle.

My best advice is to add all the rock your planning to add. Then, wait a week. In the mean time cycle your lighting as normal and make sure you have good flow in your tank. There's no reason to run your skimmer. After that week do a good water change. Don't even bother testing your levels. Just wait another week. Do your water change.Test your levels. If your rock was pre-cured your almost definitely going to be fully cycled. If not, wait another week. Be patient.

A lot of people recommend throwing in a raw shrimp. This will offer your bacteria something to eat and your levels are gonna spike hard. It might make your cycle last a little longer but you need to understand the whole goal here is to grow a colony of bacteria. You want the biggest colony of bacteria possible because this bacteria is your filtration. They are responsible for the nitrogen cycle. Anything you feed your tank that doesn't get eaten by your fish or corals will get consumed by your bacteria.

There are different types of bacteria. Some eat organic materials and excrete ammonia. Some eat ammonia and produce nitrites. Some eat nitrites and produce nitrates. Nitrates are removed by plants (algae) and water changes.

All of that to say, if you are patient and want your tank to turn out the best it can, throw a shrimp in there and be patient with the cycle.

As for the color of your algae... Let's wait a few weeks THEN make a determination of whether you have good or bad algae.

Make sure you use RO/DI water and do steady (but not too frequent) water changes and you shouldn't have a big problem with algae.

Algae blooms are a normal part of a cycle. They aren't guaranteed but if they do happen you didnt do anything wrong.

Sorry if you know all of this already but I hope you got something out of this.
If you want more advice lemme know!"

Unread 10/05/2010, 10:03 PM   #36
reefsurfing
Registered Member

I really like your setup as it very clean and I really enjoy the SEPERATE refugium as I wish I had done the same. I am planning on making my split from my Overflow, instead of from the return pump, with a valve on it so It doesnt take away from my pumps power and head pressure. I saw you had some unions and I thought you might benefit by not having to upgrade your pump if you did the same thing. Lastly your rockwork I really like the kind of piillars you have going on in each end with plenty of swimming room I would add a small spillar off centered in the middle somewhere and call it a day on rock design; it looks awesome. On your exisiting pillars when you find you final setup with them I would zip tie or epoxy them together so you can get them off the glass as it creates less in tank issues as far as cleaning which can allow things to collect and deteriorate your water quality faster from lack of flow.. keep up the good work

reefsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2010, 09:02 AM   #37
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

Got the Y fitting for my sea-swirl. So now it covers 180 degrees. My float switches and a wireless bridge to hook up to my soon coming reef keeper will be arriving today. Tomorrow I will be getting Copepoda and chaeto to add to my refugium. And my reefkeeper should arrive in 4 days.

Unread 10/07/2010, 05:49 PM   #38
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

Here is the wireless bridge I got in preparation for my reef keeper elite arrival. This way there will be a network connection by the tank. It's clean looking but I mounted it on the side of the tank so the signal is not weakened by tank and so it doesn't get wet.

Unread 10/07/2010, 07:03 PM   #39
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

WEEK 1 - CYCLING

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0-0.25ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

Hope to see something soon. Starting to see pretty aggressive brown algae growing.

Unread 10/07/2010, 08:02 PM   #40
frozenreefer
Registered Member

hey i really like your setup so far! cool videos too! i think you are off to a good start

frozenreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2010, 08:06 PM   #41
ETBReefer05
Registered Member

Fantastic job on your setup, I especially like how neat your rock looks!

ETBReefer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/07/2010, 08:33 PM   #42
chris3_16
Registered Member

like the build so far keep up the good work.

Question: what colour temp bulbs are you using? You said you have 2 daylights and 2 actinics but I have never seen the water so blue with that combo.

chris3_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2010, 12:00 AM   #43
streak
Reef Madness!

One reason you heaters arnt syncing up is the fact you have them mounted sideways next to each other even when you add the reefkeeper when it turns them on or off the heat from the bottom heater will rise and thermaly shut off the top one.. They have an external thermastat that moniters how much output of heat and always suposedly err on the side of caution although they can break in the on positon and shut themselves down.. This is what your seeing with your heaters not syncing up.. your best bet is to maybe put one in the fuge and leave the other one where it is.. as long as you got enough flow.. or simply move one heater to the otherside of the skimmer where you can still see the light maybe.. ohh and i cant see the pictures humm...

Current Tank Info: 10g nano with 2 clowns 1 Royal Gorama 1 RBTA!
streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2010, 12:05 AM   #44
streak
Reef Madness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3_16 View Post
like the build so far keep up the good work.

Question: what colour temp bulbs are you using? You said you have 2 daylights and 2 actinics but I have never seen the water so blue with that combo.
looks like 2/10k and 2/460 but oddyseas dont list the bulb brand on there site just pink blue white

Unread 10/08/2010, 12:10 AM   #45
streak
Reef Madness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasterfrk View Post
WEEK 1 - CYCLING

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0-0.25ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

Hope to see something soon. Starting to see pretty aggressive brown algae growing.
I had 3 phases of that before my cycle was threw i belive that was all normal... right now im fighting cyno somthing fierch talk about bright red...
might want to test for phosphate just to see..

Unread 10/08/2010, 04:41 AM   #46
chris3_16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streak View Post
looks like 2/10k and 2/460 but oddyseas dont list the bulb brand on there site just pink blue white
thats what combo I thought it was, but I have not seen the water so blue with that.

Unread 10/08/2010, 09:18 AM   #47
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3_16 View Post
The daylight are 12,000k
The actinic simply say actinic they have no other reading. But I think alot of the blue is the camera when the tank is all I have on.

Unread 10/08/2010, 10:39 AM   #48
Lynnmw1208
Registered Member

Quote:
Here is the wireless bridge I got in preparation for my reef keeper elite arrival. This way there will be a network connection by the tank. It's clean looking but I mounted it on the side of the tank so the signal is not weakened by tank and so it doesn't get wet.
this is a very reliable bridge. we have the same one for our xbox, ps3 and dtv box and it's wonderful! great pick!

your tank is coming along nicely. I love that seaswirl jet! that is so cool. if I had the money i'd get one too.

equipment: Eshopps psk-200 skimmer, Mag 12 pump, 30gal sump, 2x 300w Finnex heaters, glass-holes 1500gph overflow kit with 3/4" return kits, 72" 8x36w t-5 AquaticLife light, 66lbs of LR, 150lbs of tropic eden reeflakes, 2 Koralia Evo 1400, JBJ ATO, BRS dual GFO/carbon reactors, Hydor smartwave

Current Tank Info: 125gallon
Lynnmw1208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2010, 12:52 PM   #49
Coasterfrk
Registered Member

My Copepods and chaeto arrived.
Unfortunately the Copepods where too small to see so I guess I just have to believe they are there. As for the chaeto. I already found a bristle worm on it. I'm debating if I want these things left in my tank or if I want to remove it.

Unread 10/08/2010, 02:27 PM   #50
chris3_16
Registered Member

Quote:
The daylight are 12,000k
The actinic simply say actinic they have no other reading. But I think alot of the blue is the camera when the tank is all I have on.
It is a nice contrast so what ever it is, it looks good.

Tags
55g, build, reef, refugium, sump