Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2017, 07:12 PM   #2451
Thor2j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
I'm using the quantum with the 500 head on it. And I said the high 300's..I get about 390 at about 8 inches below the surface. About 180 at 18 inches below the surface. Right at the surface directly under each light fixture is something crazy off the chart. But that's a very small spot. With the two fixtures I'm at a hundred and eighty watch. My old DIY fixture was also 180 watts. And I was getting roughly the same readings
What percentage are you running them, must be near 100. The 360s loose way more then the 700s as the depth increases. Has to do with the reflectors on the 700s.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Thor2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2017, 07:12 PM   #2452
MHG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor2j View Post
What percentage are you running them, must be near 100. The 360s loose way more then the 700s as the depth increases. Has to do with the reflectors on the 700s.

Yes 100%...

Unread 02/15/2017, 11:36 PM   #2453
Squibege
Registered Member

Hey all! Ordering two 360s to put over my 90G with two T5s as supplements. Two main questions:
Do I need to get a controller with them? I eventually want to get an apex and am not sure if I want to wait and hook the kessils up to that, or buy a spectral controller.
Also, what type of bulbs are good to supplement with? What colour temperature should I target?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squibege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 10:59 AM   #2454
philly_rfa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibege View Post
Do I need to get a controller with them? I eventually want to get an apex and am not sure if I want to wait and hook the kessils up to that, or buy a spectral controller.
You can hook the A80/A160/A360 to the Apex using the variable output ports. You can make your own cable, or buy one for about $20. Then daisy chain using stereo 1/8 in cable betwen multiple lights.

philly_rfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 11:08 AM   #2455
cali9dub
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey all! Ordering two 360s to put over my 90G with two T5s as supplements. Two main questions:
Also, what type of bulbs are good to supplement with? What colour temperature should I target?

I use a bluefish controller for my 3. Love it!

cali9dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2017, 11:20 AM   #2456
MHG
Registered Member

Quote:

You dont need that controller but unless you want to manually turn them on and off every day, you need something. A timer on the plug if you want to be caveman about it. If you have a reef controller you can wire it to that.

Unread 02/16/2017, 12:44 PM   #2457
minus9
Registered Member

Quote:

I had mine controlled from my apex, but bought the spectral controller. To me, having the variable speed ports controlling my Tunze's was far more important than controlling the lights. Especially when all that I'm doing is ramping up, holding peak, then ramping down.

minus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 07:05 PM   #2458
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_rfa View Post
You can hook the A80/A160/A360 to the Apex using the variable output ports. You can make your own cable, or buy one for about $20. Then daisy chain using stereo 1/8 in cable betwen multiple lights.
How many can you daisy chain to one var speed port?

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 07:35 PM   #2459
Bronx19
Registered Member

Random observation.

My LFS uses 360s over his stock tanks (Quite deep) and I've always found them to be very dim looking? Nice shimmer, colours look good, but definitely much dimmer than my Chinese LED. Are they pumping out PAR in a deceiving way, or are they in fact not overly powerful?

Bronx19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2017, 09:02 PM   #2460
Thor2j
Registered Member

Kessils are deceptively powerful.

Unread 02/18/2017, 11:33 PM   #2461
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx19 View Post
Are they pumping out PAR in a deceiving way, or are they in fact not overly powerful?
Never trust your eyes for PAR/PUR values when it comes to Kessils. They are quite powerful. Most new users of Kessils actually have to start on a lower brightness (say 50% - 60%) and then gradually ramp up as the corals get used to the intensity of the lamps.

ComforablyNumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2017, 08:10 AM   #2462
MHG
Registered Member

Quote:
Random observation.

My LFS uses 360s over his stock tanks (Quite deep) and I've always found them to be very dim looking? Nice shimmer, colours look good, but definitely much dimmer than my Chinese LED. Are they pumping out PAR in a deceiving way, or are they in fact not overly powerful?
At 90 watts that are not very powerful, but how they look really depends on how high and how far apart. My lbs uses them and I always thought they look quite bright. But if they keep them on the blue side they look quite dim.

Unread 02/19/2017, 11:10 AM   #2463
ERIC85854
Registered Member

Quote:
Random observation.

Because it's harder to see blue light

Current Tank Info: 200G (RS XXL 750) Mixed Reef, Kessil AP700 & A360WEx2, T5x4, Vortech MP40, Gyre XF250, Lifereef SVS2-24, Apex Jr, DOS
ERIC85854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 03:19 PM   #2464
Nirethell
Registered Member

Hey Everyone!

I'm Looking at Kessil for my lighting solution for my 90 gallon 48inch tank.

That being said I was wondering what everyone's preference is for a mixed reef tank. the AP 700 or two 360we's?

Also I have a reefkeeper lite system, should I use that to control these guys or just get the spectral controller. (I very much like apps so if the controller allows for an app that's the way I want to go.)

Nirethell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2017, 03:23 PM   #2465
pelphrey
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirethell View Post
Hey Everyone!

That being said I was wondering what everyone's preference is for a mixed reef tank. the AP 700 or two 360we's?

Also I have a reefkeeper lite system, should I use that to control these guys or just get the spectral controller. (I very much like apps so if the controller allows for an app that's the way I want to go.)
If it were me I would go with the AP700. You can't control it with the reef keeper as it has it's own app. I'm not familiar with the reef keeper, I control my 160's with my apex via tha VDM port.

Unread 02/20/2017, 03:49 PM   #2466
Thor2j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirethell View Post
Hey Everyone!

You will really need 3 to match the 700.

Unread 02/20/2017, 04:01 PM   #2467
Nirethell
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelphrey View Post
If it were me I would go with the AP700. You can't control it with the reef keeper as it has it's own app. I'm not familiar with the reef keeper, I control my 160's with my apex via tha VDM port.
If I can control it from its own app, it says its wifi enabled and the app is through IOS, all of which is fine as long as I can make the settings and it saves them that's all I really need.

Follow up question would be the A-series mounting arms. will they get to the required 15 inches above the tank? (I wouldn't understand why they wouldn't )

Nirethell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 02:45 PM   #2468
mako61
Registered Member

Im setting up 59x24 tank. I hope to do mixed in the future, so i would like to have lighting ready for that. I was thinking about using 3 A360s. Is a single ap700 much better than 2 A360s. I will have a apex to control the 360s, so not having the app is ok. 2 AP700s is a little over my budget.

mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 05:44 PM   #2469
Erics210
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erics210 View Post
Hello All. After several different options, I am finally crossing to the dark side and have added TWO A360WE Kessil pendants. I have a 210 gallon tank (6' x 2' x 30".)
I currently have two Fluval 2.0s with controller spanning the 72 inch tank and am wondering the best way to "acclimate".
I only have a few corals. Hammer, Frogspawn, a couple mushrooms, blue blasto, basic green leathers and a pink Goniopora.
BUT my question is....I ordered a bunch of stuff from Aquarium Depot.
THESE new additions will be my main concern. What level intensity/color should I focus on when these arrive early next week. A lot of Zoas, a couple chalices and one SPS as a test.
So I used "acclimate" for 7 days and my hammer and frogspawn are doing better than ever. The chalice I have on the floor of my tank looks nice as well.

This is the main issue I would like help on.
I received an order of about 10 frags of Zoas and started them on the bottom.
Mt tank is 29 inches deep. My A360WEs are about 8-10 inches off the surface. Only a few polyps are opening after 3 days.
Been using Active 1 program.

Should I be giving MORE COLOR and MORE INTENSITY to hit the 29 inch bottom?

In the future...I will look to install a pair of A700s, but for now....The two pendants on each side and the 3 foot REEF Fluval 2.0 over the center will have to do. I do have the Zoas at the open ends under the Kessils!

Current Tank Info: 210g Oceanic ,40g sump,reef octopus skimmer, 24" sand-LR-Cheato refug. Kessil A360WEs and Fluval 2.0 Reef LEDs, 200lbs LR, sand bed with Mostly Zoas, LPS.
Erics210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 06:07 PM   #2470
Thor2j
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako61 View Post
Im setting up 59x24 tank. I hope to do mixed in the future, so i would like to have lighting ready for that. I was thinking about using 3 A360s. Is a single ap700 much better than 2 A360s. I will have a apex to control the 360s, so not having the app is ok. 2 AP700s is a little over my budget.
Yes, not only more PAR, but penetrated much further to the bottom.

Unread 02/21/2017, 06:54 PM   #2471
mako61
Registered Member

I have 1 more question to control multi 360s it says to daisy chain the control plugs. Has anyone tried to wire all the lights in parallel, so only 1 wire to each light.

mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 07:31 PM   #2472
brad65ford
Registered Member

A160 disassembled/shortened and used in ATI fixture

Hi guys, though i love my T5's i sure miss the look of what a Kessil does regarding lighten effect and shimmer. I've been wanting to add two A160 just for accenting lighting but the cans are big to shove under the ATI fixture. So I took one part and removed fan since i'm only going to run at the lowest setting but kept the heat sink. Have a feeling it will cook regardless do to the t5 heat anyway though I do not care if they don't last a while especially since i'm only after dusk / dawn viewing purposes.

Came up with a cleaner way of holding the heat sink with carbon fiber thin tubes inside of the lip of the ATI fixture. All i need to do now is cut an lengthen the wires, whats cool is i will be able to tuck all wires inside behind the reflectors (should be pretty clean looking). Was also thinking about splitting the power in half by only using one power supply but wiring two fixtures. Not sure if they will cut my power in half which i want or it just may not run both. If anyone has any suggestions i'm more then willing to listen. Photos below with the light on the tank are just mock ups, looks much better in person.

Best,
Brad

Last edited by brad65ford; 02/21/2017 at 07:39 PM.
brad65ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2017, 07:48 PM   #2473
Erics210
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics210 View Post
so i used "acclimate" for 7 days and my hammer and frogspawn are doing better than ever. The chalice i have on the floor of my tank looks nice as well.

This is the main issue i would like help on.
I received an order of about 10 frags of zoas and started them on the bottom.
Mt tank is 29 inches deep. My a360wes are about 8-10 inches off the surface. Only a few polyps are opening after 3 days.
Been using active 1 program.

should i be giving more color and more intensity to hit the 29 inch bottom?

in the future...i will look to install a pair of a700s, but for now....the two pendants on each side and the 3 foot reef fluval 2.0 over the center will have to do. I do have the zoas at the open ends under the kessils!

anyone???

Current Tank Info: 210g Oceanic ,40g sump,reef octopus skimmer, 24" sand-LR-Cheato refug. Kessil A360WEs and Fluval 2.0 Reef LEDs, 200lbs LR, sand bed with Mostly Zoas, LPS.
Erics210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2017, 12:47 AM   #2474
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako61 View Post
I have 1 more question to control multi 360s it says to daisy chain the control plugs. Has anyone tried to wire all the lights in parallel, so only 1 wire to each light.
Not sure what that would accomplish. Daisy chaining will make all the lights behave the same of course. If you want to have a single wire from the Kessil controller to the lights, you will be limited to two lights (or sets of lights) as the controller has only two separate outputs. But each output can be daisy chained separately.

As I said, I'm not sure what your goal is by having them in parallel. Each light requires its own separate power source.

Unread 02/22/2017, 01:01 AM   #2475
ComforablyNumb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor2j View Post
Yes, not only more PAR, but penetrated much further to the bottom.
Do you know how much more powerful each puck in a 700 is versus a 360? I would be interested in that information. I know about the different diffuser on the 700, but I don't know the actual light output difference.

Thx for your help.