Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2017, 10:09 AM   #26
minus9
Registered Member

Early October last year.

minus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 02:51 PM   #27
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

This is a picture from last week .....

.... and about 2 years ago.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs

Last edited by ca1ore; 02/18/2017 at 03:03 PM.
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 06:28 PM   #28
dohc97
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Any point source light will have shading problems. MH got around this problem by using large reflectors. Kessil got around it with the AP700 in the same way. It is an issue with the Kessil pendants. Only way around it is to either add more pendants or a 'line source' light like T5 or reefbreeders LED.
I looked into buying an ap700 but it looks to me like the same problem. 2 pucks is not going to fix my issue. I can see where 4 would work. I'm hoping the 2 t5s help a lot if not I'll add 2 more for a total of 4. I would sell the Jessie but I like the shimmer. Going metal halide might not be an option for me at this time, due to heat

Current Tank Info: IM 25 lagoon, diy stand, kessil A360we, mp10 wes qd, apex jr
dohc97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 09:02 PM   #29
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I've not used the AP700, but understood it to use different lenses/diffuser to get around the point source problem like MH does. Check the AP700 thread.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2017, 09:19 PM   #30
timnem70
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post

Top down of my 40b. At about the 1 year mark. Kessil AP700.

All started out as frags, most in the 1" size, some bigger.

Your lights are not the reason you have slow growth. 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates are not good for sps growth and color.

I believe if you run high light, you need more nutrients in the water.

I feed heavy and have 8 fish in the tank. I had to back off on my fuge light schedule , stop my skimmer for periods and not run socks to get my nitrates and phosphates over 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1. Too many have posted beautiful reefs using all forms of lighting. While your specific reef may seem to do better under different lighting, all lights produce. It's the other select parameters and such that Make your SPS grow. While LPS are mostly photosynthetic, SPS use what we think of as "bad" elelments i.e Phosphate in a hobby environment. The ocean has traceable amounts of a sorts of stuff that stony corals use to build themselves. One being Phosphate. It is hard to do a mixed reef if you have the mindset that having good, super clean water will help the SPS grow and thrive. It's a tight Balance. Too clean... Anemones and others grow really well, SPS survive but don't seem to grow. Too "dirty" LPS recede and SPS have their day.
There may be, and I am
Just guessing, more bacterial growth with MH or T5 because of the light source than LED? But no growth due to just a Lighting source? I don't buy into that.
All 3 sources, especially the time tried favorites will "grow" corals. And, there are far to many testimonials from AP700 and other LEDs, Especially if you supplement with the other 2 that blow me away
I hope you find a balance and find a happy place

Galaxy S7 Edge

timnem70 is offline   Reply With Quote