Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/27/2018, 04:36 PM   #26
Willistein
Registered Member

Picked up some 3/16" smoked acrylic and built the frag tank overflow.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Willistein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2019, 04:51 PM   #27
jfl14609
Registered Member

Looks good dan I might have some reflectors crap I think I even have the sit ones you made me I also have a few black box leds

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon reef
jfl14609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2019, 02:02 PM   #28
Willistein
Registered Member

I still have my DIY reflectors! although two of them are getting pretty corroded...
Do you still have a tank going Jeff?

Unread 01/09/2019, 02:13 PM   #29
jfl14609
Registered Member

sort of i have a 65 recently my ato stuck on and wiped mot of it out first loss in all these years

Unread 01/09/2019, 02:47 PM   #30
Willistein
Registered Member

man, that's rough. My plan for this build is to use a litermiter to dose kalk for 90% of the topoff, and for the rest, I'll rely on a float switch (and redundant float switch) to activate a pump from a brute can freshwater reservoir.

Unread 01/10/2019, 08:32 AM   #31
jfl14609
Registered Member

i ditched the top off i just put a wifi outlet on a pump that top sit off for 5 mins a day every once and a while i have to add more but or the majority it works are you still living locally?

Unread 01/10/2019, 11:45 AM   #32
Willistein
Registered Member

Yep, I'm near Mumford

Unread 01/24/2019, 05:22 PM   #33
jfl14609
Registered Member

thats cool ill have to check the tank out when your going

Unread 02/12/2019, 11:51 AM   #34
Willistein
Registered Member

So, its been slow going, but here's an update. Picked up a standard Aqueon 120, and it's sitting in the basement waiting to be drilled. Still have to work out how I'm going to move it up the stairs...

I've made some progress building the sump. Because I'm not going to spend $500 on a sump, I'm using a 40 breeder and fitting it with acrylic baffles. The acrylic baffles are be bonded to each other with acrylic cement, and bonded to tank with GE silicone I. I'm still coming up to speed on acrylic routing, bending, bonding, etc, so bear with me...
The picture shows the inlet portion. Beananimal full siphon and trickle line enter on the right through two 1" bulkheads. Water will overflow the black baffle and enter the filter sock section. Water flows down through the socks, and out through the slot on the bottom into the skimmer section. If the socks get plugged, water rises and flows out the slot at the top. I'll post more pics tonight. At the opposite end of the sump, I'll drill for an external return pump (Blue line 40). Still need to work out the anti-bubble section.

Unread 02/13/2019, 08:08 AM   #35
Willistein
Registered Member

Now I'm wondering if I'll even need bubble-reducing baffles... Anybody out there running bean-animal overflow - can you tell me if bubbles are really an issue?

Unread 02/13/2019, 08:14 AM   #36
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Every set up differs

But (generally speaking) bean animals aren't known for producing a copious amount of bubbles

One thing I do NOT like about my Synergy sump are all of the baffles.

My old 75 gallon DIY sump was (IMO) a better (and much simpler!) design: one up baffle, one down baffle and a sock holder.

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2019, 08:38 AM   #37
Willistein
Registered Member

Yeah, I really favor simplicity as much as possible. I think I'll go without, and worst case I'll drain the sump, and add a couple baffles. One thing I'm doing this time around is making the inlet and filter sock area make a lot of sense and easy to maintain. The filter sock section will also have a cover to reduce any salt spray/creep.

Looks like this might get hooked up tonight!

In other news, I picked up an algae blenny to live in the frag tank and do some lawn mowing, and he'll be done with QT/tank transfer method tonight

Unread 02/15/2019, 10:55 PM   #38
Willistein
Registered Member

Things are happening, sump is on line and connected to the frag tank. 120 is patently waiting to go upstairs.

Unread 03/18/2019, 07:44 AM   #39
Willistein
Registered Member

Sorry for the slowest build thread ever, but I want to do things right, and I don't have unlimited funds (just ask my wife...). Over the weekend I ordered a 20" low-profile overflow kit from Exotic Marine Systems! I will have to drill the tank for it - it will sit centered along the back wall of the tank. I looked at a few different companies that all sell something similar, but I chose EMS for a couple reasons:
-1/4" cell cast acrylic for both inside and outside boxes - I don't like how some companies have switched to flimsy ABS.
-inside box is black, outside box is smoked so you can see water level for bean animal setup
-a spacer is included the goes between the back of the tank and the eternal box to allow the external box to sit level with the top of the tank (and not interfere with the tank trim). For power out situations, this seems like it will reduce chance of a flood.
-external box is euro-braced with large radii to minimize stress (and it has a cover)

I'll document the overflow installation process - probably this coming weekend!

https://www.exoticmarinesystems.com/...4-overflow-kit

Unread 03/28/2019, 08:00 PM   #40
Willistein
Registered Member

Waiting for overflow to arrive... I mounted a repurposed cabinet above the sink, and got the litermeter dosing Alk and Ca... Though there's not much usage at this point, the rocks are starting to get nice purple spots.
I need to come up with a slick shelf to house the 2-part gallon jugs and the dosing pumps. I may even build some custom acrylic containers. I'll probably locate the dosing stuff near the sump, maybe even in the cabinet/shelf.
Couple beginner corals to test the waters...
System is at the 3 month point, so algae is gone. I have an algae blenny, emerald crab (son's request) and a brittle star that are doing well for the past few weeks.
It does help having a skimmer sized for 200 gallons on a 60 gallon setup...

Unread 04/01/2019, 07:28 PM   #41
Willistein
Registered Member

Added some frags this weekend... man, my phone's camera is not so good.

Unread 04/06/2019, 11:53 AM   #42
dbone876
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistein View Post
So, its been slow going, but here's an update. Picked up a standard Aqueon 120, and it's sitting in the basement waiting to be drilled. Still have to work out how I'm going to move it up the stairs...

I've made some progress building the sump. Because I'm not going to spend $500 on a sump, I'm using a 40 breeder and fitting it with acrylic baffles. The acrylic baffles are be bonded to each other with acrylic cement, and bonded to tank with GE silicone I. I'm still coming up to speed on acrylic routing, bending, bonding, etc, so bear with me...
The picture shows the inlet portion. Beananimal full siphon and trickle line enter on the right through two 1" bulkheads. Water will overflow the black baffle and enter the filter sock section. Water flows down through the socks, and out through the slot on the bottom into the skimmer section. If the socks get plugged, water rises and flows out the slot at the top. I'll post more pics tonight. At the opposite end of the sump, I'll drill for an external return pump (Blue line 40). Still need to work out the anti-bubble section.
I am going to be plumbing a bean animal on my new system . Anyone with experience with this type of sump have a problem with detritus settling in the full siphon section and not making it to the filter socks?

dbone876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2019, 12:29 PM   #43
Willistein
Registered Member

Good question, I'll let you know once mine is up and running. I imagine it will accumulate detritus over time.

Unread 04/07/2019, 04:59 AM   #44
Willistein
Registered Member

Here's another thought - make the full siphon tubes go down close to the bottom so the high flow prevents anything from settling.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg siphon area.JPG (69.7 KB, 7 views)