Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2018, 12:14 PM   #1
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Ghost Overflow BA Piping

I've bought a modular marine ghost overflow. Im looking for a starting point for the internal bean animal piping in the overflow box. The box itself is 16" long and 7" high. I cut my emergency pipe @ 5", thinking this will allow 2" before it overflows the box. I would like to know roughly where to start for a height on the u-bends.

I know I may need to adjust once I know my flows.

Str8linespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 02:12 PM   #2
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

1,000 words .....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0447.jpg (59.0 KB, 65 views)

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/05/2018, 02:14 PM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Main siphon is right at the bottom, with just an elbow and a strainer. Secondary higher, with the bottom of the U at about 4". My emergency has an adjustable top ring, but I have been keeping it about 1 1/2" below the top of the box.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 02/05/2018, 05:00 PM   #4
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
1,000 words .....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Main siphon is right at the bottom, with just an elbow and a strainer. Secondary higher, with the bottom of the U at about 4". My emergency has an adjustable top ring, but I have been keeping it about 1 1/2" below the top of the box.
With the picture and the explanation this helps immensely.

One question regarding the pic. It looks like the main siphon is smaller. I've got 1" bulkheads so I would want to keep it 1" correct?

I'll also try to make an adjustable top ring for the emergency.

Thank you for the help!

Unread 02/06/2018, 05:50 AM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2666261

Unread 02/06/2018, 09:46 AM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8linespeed View Post
One question regarding the pic. It looks like the main siphon is smaller. I've got 1" bulkheads so I would want to keep it 1" correct?

I'll also try to make an adjustable top ring for the emergency.

Thank you for the help!
What I did not show in the picture is that I actually run a 5 drain overflow. Three 1" siphons, one 1 1/2" secondary and a 1 1/2" emergency. I did this so that I could use the siphon drain water to 'feed' three different things (ATS, refugium, frag tank) in my basement. If you are doing the standard three drains then yes, in your case, you should retain the native 1" pipe size.

Also note in the picture that my emergency uses a 3" PVC stand pipe but it is still attached to a 1 1/2" bulkhead. I did this so that the water level in the external box would not rise as much when the emergency was engaged. The adjustable ring is simply a slip coupling friction fitted over the end of the 3" pipe.

Unread 02/06/2018, 12:21 PM   #7
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Again, thank you all for the help!

Unread 02/06/2018, 05:02 PM   #8
Member No. 1
Ver. 2.1

These might help.
A little long but it's explains toward the end.
https://youtu.be/S5RB9mwQc_s

And another
https://youtu.be/vXIllsPD8-w

Current Tank Info: In the process - http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2661614
Member No. 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 05:38 PM   #9
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Im doing a google search on piping out of the box and Im seeing people use 90* elbows. Is this ok? It cleans up the piping and you can route it better, but I was under the impression to only use 45* elbows, which is harder to pipe in my opinion..

Unread 02/06/2018, 07:52 PM   #10
Lsufan
Registered Member

45’s are the better option if possible. 90’s will make the open channel a little louder & it also makes it harder for the syphon to purge the air. One or two 90’s can work if they are the only option, but expect the open channel to not be as quiet. U will also want to make sure u don’t have anything else restricting the air from being purged from the pipe or u can have startup issues

Last edited by Lsufan; 02/06/2018 at 08:45 PM.
Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 12:39 PM   #11
Str8linespeed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsufan View Post
45’s are the better option if possible. 90’s will make the open channel a little louder & it also makes it harder for the syphon to purge the air. One or two 90’s can work if they are the only option, but expect the open channel to not be as quiet. U will also want to make sure u don’t have anything else restricting the air from being purged from the pipe or u can have startup issues

Good explanation. Thank you. I would like to use 1 set of 90's to turn the overflow box piping into the cabinet, then I would use 45's for the rest.

If I use 45's to turn it into the cabinet, it just doesnt look as clean as I would like, and I think make it harder to pipe into the sump. The plus side the tank is not going to be in a location where complete silence is critical.

Unread 02/07/2018, 01:23 PM   #12
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

If you do use 90 degree elbows, just make sure that any horizontal runs of pipe have a slight downward pitch.