Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2012, 08:12 PM   #51
livingseas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganbrian View Post
Yes, do NOT use eggcrate under rock!
Hmm is this the case with a 4" DSB? I was planning on using eggcreate just under my rock work areas to reduce the point load of the rockwork on the glass. I have a 72x36x24 300 gallon tank so it will have a lot a rock weight on the bottom glass.

So my tank has dual rear corner overflows and its quite wide at 36"

Any suggestions on a layout to use? I'd love to cover both corner overlfows
but I dont want a giant pile of rock in each corner.

It will be viewable from 3 sides with the back painted a medium blue.

livingseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2012, 01:03 AM   #52
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Or another idea I was planning on doing was placing various PVC pieces along the bottom of the tank about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in height depending on how high you want your sand bed to be. The PVC could be the same diameter and then stack the rock on top of the PVC pipe. What pipe doesn't get used can be removed. That way more bacteria can be colonized on the rock if that makes more sense.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2012, 01:31 AM   #53
Ptyochromis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
Or another idea I was planning on doing was placing various PVC pieces along the bottom of the tank about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in height depending on how high you want your sand bed to be. The PVC could be the same diameter and then stack the rock on top of the PVC pipe. What pipe doesn't get used can be removed. That way more bacteria can be colonized on the rock if that makes more sense.
+1

Maybe even drill holes in the side of the pipe so worms and other critters can still move around the DSB.

Don't misidentify Phyllangia sp. as Aiptasia.

Current Tank Info: skimmerless, sps dominant 29gal+20gal fuge. 100% NNR
Ptyochromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2012, 04:39 AM   #54
swcc
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie Aquarist View Post
some folks do build a PVC base for their rocks... basically you build a square with the pipe and elbows for each rock work section. Much better way to raise the rock up over the substrate.

swcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2012, 06:32 AM   #55
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

Quote:
Originally Posted by swcc View Post
some folks do build a PVC base for their rocks... basically you build a square with the pipe and elbows for each rock work section. Much better way to raise the rock up over the substrate.
But I was thinking about cutting them about the size of couplings and laying them in designated areas where you want to place the base rock and build the rock on top of that then removing the leftover PVC. I cut a few 2 inch PVC pipes in 1 1/2 in lengths and plan on placing them on the bottom as I want some jawfish and i didn't want to put the rock on the bottom of the tank.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2012, 07:05 AM   #56
MadBeach
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingseas View Post
I was planning on using eggcreate just under my rock work areas to reduce the point load of the rockwork on the glass. I have a 72x36x24 300 gallon tank so it will have a lot a rock weight on the bottom glass.
Salt water weighs approx 8.55 lbs per gallon so at 300 gallons, the bottom glass of your tank is already weighed down with 2,565 pounds of water.

MadBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2012, 07:46 PM   #57
PMc
Registered Member

I am too new to have an opinion about a sticky or not but this is a great thread. Those of us with no talent for art know vaguely what we want but don't know why or how to get there. We just know it when we see it. The OP is able to articulate what the rest of us feel when we see it. I am all for whatever keeps this thread on the front page where I can reference it again. Thanks.

Mc

PMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2012, 08:09 PM   #58
mwilliams62
Registered Member

Thanks for posting this I am always rearranging my rock work never happy with it. With this thread I hope i too can do beautiful rockscaping.

mwilliams62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2012, 09:00 PM   #59
biecacka
Registered Member

Mine attempt at a rework
Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2012, 11:02 PM   #60
Veganbrian
Registered Member

Looks great. I would just clean up some of the stuff off the sandbed. glad This thread is helping people. Any questions just let me know.

Veganbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/03/2012, 10:26 PM   #61
biecacka
Registered Member

Yeah when I get a lil free time this weekend I'm pulling all the junk on sandbed out
Corey

Unread 10/03/2012, 11:43 PM   #62
Veganbrian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
Yeah when I get a lil free time this weekend I'm pulling all the junk on sandbed out
Corey
That will change the whole look of the tank. Also i would run all the wires in the back down the side of the tank since it looks like you have a clear background and clean the back glass Post pictures after! it will look so awesome!

Unread 10/03/2012, 11:47 PM   #63
jbfloor
Registered Member

As I said in my build thread, this thread is a great help and inspiration. I never thought about color composition, but after having read that paragraph, it will certainly heavily influence the way I will place corals.

jbfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2012, 12:40 AM   #64
Veganbrian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfloor View Post
As I said in my build thread, this thread is a great help and inspiration. I never thought about color composition, but after having read that paragraph, it will certainly heavily influence the way I will place corals.
Thanks! glad it helped. Color composition can drastically change the overall look of your tank. It will not look like the corals were just thrown in there. It will look composed like the art it should!

Unread 10/04/2012, 01:12 PM   #65
nwnugget
Registered Member

Here is my tank. A 12 gallon nanocube. Please, those with art skills direct me on how to make this look as good as it can. Thank you in advance.

nwnugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2012, 02:35 PM   #66
ReefNOOBIE21
Registered Member

def a great read, i want to reaquascape and im also putting toegheter another nano.

ReefNOOBIE21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2012, 10:27 PM   #67
biecacka
Registered Member

I'm gonna put up something black on back of my tank to hide the wires. I took down part of my foam wall last week and haven't gotten around to covering e back of the tank
Corey

Unread 10/04/2012, 11:09 PM   #68
Augustus
Registered Member

Great thread!

Is there any type of clay or something similar you can sculpt to make fake corals, rocks and structures that is also reef safe?

Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2012, 11:52 PM   #69
milehigh
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Big E;20725156]

3) Maintain an algae free back (and sides if possible) to create an illusion of infinite depth....contrary to what we'd all like to believe, coralline does not create an attractive back drop...only a distracting one.

5) don't clutter the sand bed with a bunch of livestock....a clam or two...maybe...but that's it. Cluttered sandbeds just make the overall display look too busy. You can improve the overall display tremendously by just removing all the frags, zoas, blastos, etc that so many people seem to keep on the sandbed these days......it just distracting.

I completely agree with the algae free back.. it may be a pain to clean, but well worth the impression of "depth". It is truly a subconsious thing, you don't realize why a clean background is cool until you take it away.

milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2012, 12:00 AM   #70
Veganbrian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwnugget View Post
Here is my tank. A 12 gallon nanocube. Please, those with art skills direct me on how to make this look as good as it can. Thank you in advance.
I would say move that forward "brain" looking rock more off center to the right get something to scrub the back false wall. Getting rid of the algae and take the corals off the sandbed. Maybe one or two on the bed but planned out so it doesnt look cluttered. The center structure looks pretty cool where it is though.

Unread 10/05/2012, 12:10 AM   #71
Veganbrian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biecacka View Post
I'm gonna put up something black on back of my tank to hide the wires. I took down part of my foam wall last week and haven't gotten around to covering e back of the tank
Corey
Great to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
Great thread!

Is there any type of clay or something similar you can sculpt to make fake corals, rocks and structures that is also reef safe?
Thanks! I'm sorry but i dont know the answer to this question. Maybe someone else can answer or searching online on the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post

3) Maintain an algae free back (and sides if possible) to create an illusion of infinite depth....contrary to what we'd all like to believe, coralline does not create an attractive back drop...only a distracting one.

5) don't clutter the sand bed with a bunch of livestock....a clam or two...maybe...but that's it. Cluttered sandbeds just make the overall display look too busy. You can improve the overall display tremendously by just removing all the frags, zoas, blastos, etc that so many people seem to keep on the sandbed these days......it just distracting.

I completely agree with the algae free back.. it may be a pain to clean, but well worth the impression of "depth". It is truly a subconsious thing, you don't realize why a clean background is cool until you take it away.
Yep yep. I also think clear backgrounds make for a cleaner tank with absolutely nothing on the back of the tank. Hiding the overflow behind rocks makes for a nice clean tank but you have to avoid the "rock wall" look.

Unread 10/05/2012, 06:17 AM   #72
MadBeach
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
Great thread!

POLYGEM reef safe epoxy.

You can get it here.
http://store.polygem.com/productDeta...2&categoryID=5

REEF SMAC used it on his TOTM tank and he swears by it.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

MadBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2012, 08:23 AM   #73
nwnugget
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganbrian View Post
I would say move that forward "brain" looking rock more off center to the right get something to scrub the back false wall. Getting rid of the algae and take the corals off the sandbed. Maybe one or two on the bed but planned out so it doesnt look cluttered. The center structure looks pretty cool where it is though.
Thanks. I will try that and post up a pic over the weekend. Now, where to put all those corals and ricordea...

P.S. we call the brain looking piece Krang.

nwnugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2012, 10:15 AM   #74
Jeff000
Electrician

Great thread.

I always use painters tape and tape out the outline that I want on the tank, then stand back and have a good look at it. Make changes and repeat.

Jeff000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2012, 09:31 PM   #75
Augustus
Registered Member

MadBeach that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for posting the link!

Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote