Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/12/2019, 06:53 AM   #1
Tides
Registered Member

Looking for personal experiences with big tank equipment (pumps etc)

Long story short, getting ready to purchase some life support equimpent come black friday...

What is everybody happy with in terms of...
Return pumps
Closed loop pumps
External skimmers/Skimmer pumps

I plan on running 2 main returns, 5 closed loop, and I haven't yet decided on skimmers yet. I'm going to need 2,500gph+
I've been looking at Reef Octo for most my equipment because I see a lot of big tanks using it, and very few using Ecotech, Dolphin, etc. I was "burnt" by the L1 melting before, so I'm slightly jaded there.. if anyone has different experiences with the L2, I'm all ears. I'm hesitant to go external pumps due to noise/potential leak hazard.

Thank you

Tides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2019, 07:42 AM   #2
halmus
Registered Member

Used dual dolphin pumps for my returns. I’ve been pretty happy with them. I recommend adding true union ball valves on the input and output to make maintenance easier.

I am curious what the Abyzz pumps look like today. Haven’t researched them recently. They were impressive when they first came out but costly. Maybe they’re worth the extra money?

halmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2019, 08:01 AM   #3
Tides
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmus View Post
Used dual dolphin pumps for my returns. I’ve been pretty happy with them. I recommend adding true union ball valves on the input and output to make maintenance easier.

I am curious what the Abyzz pumps look like today. Haven’t researched them recently. They were impressive when they first came out but costly. Maybe they’re worth the extra money?
Thanks for the reply! Have you had any issues with the seals leaking? Last person I spoke to that used them had some recurring issues with that. But otherwise, I hear great things!

Tides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2019, 08:35 AM   #4
halmus
Registered Member

Actually, yes. I should have added that. They are supposed to have a really good reputation. But, one of them started to accumulate salt creep around the shaft seal. I ended up picking up a spare and swapping them. Sent the damaged one for repair. It was still under warranty. It’s good to have a spare anyway.

They repaired the old and I only had to pay for shipping. They were great to work with, but it wasn’t expected which is a little frustrating.

My local shop was surprised to hear about my trouble. He runs a lot of maintenance accounts where he relies on these pumps. It could be a recent change in parts or manufacturing that’s biting them (and their customers) in the butt.

For my build, the pumps having a little salt creep wasn’t a problem because they’re isolated in a filtration room where I can easily manage that sort of thing. If it was under a stand in a living space, I’d be concerned.

Unread 11/12/2019, 08:39 AM   #5
halmus
Registered Member

Looking for personal experiences with big tank equipment (pumps etc)

I should also add that I have all of the appropriate safeguards in place like a strainer on the intake and it’s not sucking in sandy water. The intakes are pretty clean from my sump. Grit in the water can cause the seals to degrade faster.

So, it’s less likely that the premature failure was human error or improper installation.

In spite of the minor headaches, I’m still pretty satisfied with the pumps for my system.

Unread 11/12/2019, 09:01 AM   #6
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Lifereef skimmers are tried and true and I love mine. Its run with a dolphin pump... My return pump is a Red Dragon 230w and its silent and been running flawlessly for 3.5 years now. My closed loop is run by a Vectra L1, I'm on my fourth or fifth one now due to them failing but Ecotech has replaced them all without any issues. The L1 runs hot though and I haven't gotten over a year out of a single one thus far but customer service is top notch and getting replacements has been relatively easy.

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2019, 09:21 AM   #7
lapin
Registered Member

I too like the Reeflo pumps.
I have an external skimmer
https://www.coralvue.com/reef-octopu...rotein-skimmer.
I also run a large GEO's calcium reactor

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2019, 06:14 AM   #8
tom obrecht
Registered Member

This maybe a late response due to BF sales being gone but if quality, long maintenance free pumps is what your looking for I’d personally recommend Red Dragon from Royal Exclusive. Slief here on RC is the rep! I’ve used a boat load of equipment over the past 20+ years including more return pumps than you can shake a stick at and the ONLY a pump I use now and recommend is Red Dragon! Super beefy, have an excellent track record, have been around a long time and I have never had a single issue with them! Any questions I have had get responded to quickly by Slief and he will help out when needed. I have used internal, external, ac, dc, older models, newer models ect and have always had some kind of issue! The Red Dragon is the ONLY pump I have personally used with ZERO issues! Pricey yes but once you get your hands on one you will see why! Built unlike 99% of all other brands on the market! One thing I don’t skimp on after all these years is my return pump! Waaay to important piece of equipment to cheap out on IMO.

Unread 12/15/2019, 04:05 PM   #9
marinelife
Registered Member

I have an Abyzz A200 Pump as my return pump and one on a closed-loop. I also have a Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon 3 230W Pump on a second closed loop. Both brands are great and worth the money.
I run a Tunze skimmer and love it.

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2019, 11:36 AM   #10
wtac
Registered Member

Late to the game as well...

When it comes to direct drive impellers, Dolphin seals are significantly better than ReeFlo's. Never had to replace a Dolphin seal but ReeFlo at least every year or two. Always have a set of extra seals on hand irregardless as $h!t happens.

DC pumps, Abyzz and RD have been less problematic vs Vectras, IME.

Magnetically coupled impeller driven pumps like Iwaki, PanWorld/BlueLine are workhorses and no seals to worry about. To get the GPH you require, you will need 2 in the 1100 or 1750GPH. Ya, the stock fans are noisy compared to Dolphin but you can remove the back fan guard and remove the fan. Put on a 120mmx120mm finned heat sink and a 120mm computer fan will make the pump almost silent...saw someone do this here on RC about 10-15 years ago...BRILLIANT!

wtac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2019, 05:35 PM   #11
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Reed Dragon would get my vote.

Unread 01/14/2020, 05:21 PM   #12
AcroporaUK
Premium Member

Abyzz & Red Dragon Pumps

as per the title...

AcroporaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2020, 11:10 AM   #13
shafman1
Registered Member

Pumps on my 640 gallon system

I have a 640 gallon system. I currently have been using two dolphin 6250 pumps for my closed loop. I have several water blaster pumps from Coral Vue. They have been great. I run a Reef Octopus SRO 8000 external skimmer.

I may try the Abyzz or the less expensive Red Dragon pumps in place of the Dolphin pumps when it's time to upgrade, but the Dolphin pumps have been very dependable.

shafman1 is offline   Reply With Quote