Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/07/2019, 08:45 AM   #1
Johnic
Registered Member

Specific gravity in tank is 1.028

I haven’t checked in a while but did today and noticed it’s 1.028.
Is this too high ? If so how should I drop it?

I use Reef Crystals and also noticed how much brown stuff is in the mixing 50 gal container. Corals look great but should I clean the mixing tub ?? I hate to screw up a good thing right now. All is good with the corals.

75 Lee Mar Peninsula Tank, Reef Octo Elite 150, Custom Advanced Acrylic Sump, (2) MP40, Vectra M2 Main Pump, (2) XR15 Pro, Clear Water ATS CW-50, Alkatronic,GHL Doser 2.1, Apex Neptune El with Trident

Last edited by Johnic; 09/07/2019 at 09:10 AM.
Johnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2019, 09:15 AM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I had tanks at 1.040 and none of the inhabitants looked as if they would mind it. Added RO to adjust it to 1.026 and again no fish, shrimp, or coral took offense.
Things like that actually happen in the wild quite often. In tide pools, lagoons, atolls, and other bodies of water that get frequently or occasionally cut off from the ocean sun and wind can cause significant evaporation and drive the salinity up within hours. How extreme it gets depends on the size of the water mass and the duration it is cut off from the ocean.
When the connection is reestablish by the incoming tide or a spring tide, the incoming ocean water adjusts the salinity down again.
Most lifeforms in the ocean can handle quite a bit of variation in salinity.

BTW 1.028 is just about right for a Red Sea biotope.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2019, 09:17 AM   #3
Johnic
Registered Member

Gotcha. I guess I’ll leave it but as I mix new Salk I’ll drop it the incoming down to bring the tank down.

Should I clean my mixing tub ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 Lee Mar Peninsula Tank, Reef Octo Elite 150, Custom Advanced Acrylic Sump, (2) MP40, Vectra M2 Main Pump, (2) XR15 Pro, Clear Water ATS CW-50, Alkatronic,GHL Doser 2.1, Apex Neptune El with Trident
Unread 09/07/2019, 09:44 AM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Can't hurt to have a clean tub.
Do it when you have time.

Unread 09/07/2019, 09:52 AM   #5
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Can't hurt to have a clean tub.
Do it when you have time.

Ya.
Soooo
I’ll confess. I put trust in my Milwaukee digital specific gravity device but I haven’t calibrated in some time and it was off by 1.002. Uggggg. I tested with my Sybon old school refract and the tank is 1.026.

Unread 09/07/2019, 11:01 AM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I stopped using RC because of the "brown stuff".
Using Red Sea Pro, mixes clean, barrel stays clean, I hate cleaning buckets.
Worth the extra cash IMM, Tropic Marin Pro mixed fast and clean as well.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2019, 11:59 AM   #7
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
I stopped using RC because of the "brown stuff".

Using Red Sea Pro, mixes clean, barrel stays clean, I hate cleaning buckets.

Worth the extra cash IMM, Tropic Marin Pro mixed fast and clean as well.

Ya I agree. But I hate to change something that’s working and corals look good. Changing salts is a big move. I get the rc on Amazon delivery to front door to for great price.

Unread 09/07/2019, 01:18 PM   #8
bertoni
RC Mod

I'd probably lower the SG to 1.0264, but I agree that 1.028 is safe enough. For a 75 g tank, maybe replacing ½-1 g of tank water with fresh RO/DI once a day for a while should fix the situation quickly enough.

Unread 09/07/2019, 01:29 PM   #9
ThRoewer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
... Red Sea Pro, mixes clean, barrel stays clean, ...
That's not my experience with Red Sea salt. If you don't clean the barrel every few mixes it encrusts quite a bit.
Tropic Marine is probably the cleanest, but definitely not the cheapest.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/07/2019, 02:29 PM   #10
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post
That's not my experience with Red Sea salt. If you don't clean the barrel every few mixes it encrusts quite a bit.

I used to use tropic marine and it’s def not cheap but very good.

Unread 09/08/2019, 02:55 PM   #11
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnic View Post
Ya.
Soooo
I’ll confess. I put trust in my Milwaukee digital specific gravity device but I haven’t calibrated in some time and it was off by 1.002. Uggggg. I tested with my Sybon old school refract and the tank is 1.026.

Why do you think the Sybon is correct? Have you calibrated it?

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/08/2019, 02:56 PM   #12
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgar View Post
Why do you think the Sybon is correct? Have you calibrated it?

Yes. And I calibrated the digital one too now.

Unread 09/09/2019, 09:08 AM   #13
jd371
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnic View Post
Gotcha. I guess I’ll leave it but as I mix new Salk I’ll drop it the incoming down to bring the tank down.

Should I clean my mixing tub ?

I use IO and clean the Brute trash can after every 5th mix. I'd switch to something cleaner but at $35 for a 200g box I'd rather take the 20 minutes to clean than spend a lot more money for a clean trash can.

jd371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/09/2019, 09:40 PM   #14
bertoni
RC Mod

Oops, missed the part about the mixing tub. You can clean it when it gets gunky, but the precipitates are unlikely to cause any problems. It's mostly an esthetic issue.

Unread 09/09/2019, 09:51 PM   #15
Johnic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Oops, missed the part about the mixing tub. You can clean it when it gets gunky, but the precipitates are unlikely to cause any problems. It's mostly an esthetic issue.

Gotcha. I haven’t cleaned it for years and it seems that it doesn’t affect the tank. One thing I realize in reef keeping is.... leave well enough alone.

Still wonder what the heck that stuff is.

Unread 09/11/2019, 02:38 PM   #16
bertoni
RC Mod

It might be a mix of calcium carbonate and some organics, but that's just a guess. The calcium carbonate would fizz if an acid like vinegar were added.

Unread 09/17/2019, 06:40 PM   #17
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThRoewer View Post

Truly happy with RedSea, have not cleaned get barrel in over a year now as it does not require it.

Then again, I mix only what is needed and deploy in 24 hours, I don't need to store salt water, since I have not stored, maybe this is where it encrusts? Strange, never encountered this problem.

I did note that parameters became very predictable with Red Sea, each and every batch I make mixes clean, and so, so on point, no variances in over 2 years now.

I am sure everyone has their favorite, one thing I have learned is you get what you pay for for most things, most, not all.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote