Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2018, 03:03 PM   #1
bullock111
Registered Member

First fish

I am 3 weeks into my cycle, i am going to be ready for my first fish in a few weeks. my question is when my tank is cycled how should i add the first fish. I know when you doit will change the bio load and need time to stabilize. I have 2 davinci clowns about an inch long, a 2 1/2 inch open bubble tip anenome, one shrimp and a gobie waiting at my lfs for when i am ready to add them. should i add 1 each week or so or am i save adding a couple fish and waiting? my fish guy will let me keep them there for as long as i want

bullock111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2018, 03:09 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

What size tank?
Personally I would add all that at one time once the tank is fully cycled..
It wouldn't be a bad idea to monitor for the first week to ensure that the ammonia level doesn't start to rise past zero..

Unread 12/06/2018, 03:33 PM   #3
lapin
Registered Member

Have you thought about a QT procedure? maybe just a minimum of TTM for Ich and Prazi Pro for parasites.

Current Tank Info: Interior decorating happening
lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2018, 07:20 PM   #4
bullock111
Registered Member

I have a 25 gallon im lagoon with an ai prime light for qt. I am thinking about using it for the first fish and will definatly use it for any that I get elsewere. my lfs is frags to fishes and he keeps all his livestock in qt for 10 to 14 days before they go into his sales tanks and I have been watching these for 3-4 weeks without seeing any issues. If you would still recommend qt for them I will do it, I don't want any problems from my own stupidity . my display tank is a 90 marineland. I wasn't sure if you could add that much at once

Unread 12/06/2018, 08:35 PM   #5
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock111 View Post
I have a 25 gallon im lagoon with an ai prime light for qt. I am thinking about using it for the first fish and will definatly use it for any that I get elsewere. my lfs is frags to fishes and he keeps all his livestock in qt for 10 to 14 days before they go into his sales tanks and I have been watching these for 3-4 weeks without seeing any issues. If you would still recommend qt for them I will do it, I don't want any problems from my own stupidity . my display tank is a 90 marineland. I wasn't sure if you could add that much at once
Yup that's fine, I have one of these stores also, they do the QT.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2018, 10:48 PM   #6
bcb577
Registered Member

Quote:
I am 3 weeks into my cycle, i am going to be ready for my first fish in a few weeks. my question is when my tank is cycled how should i add the first fish. I know when you doit will change the bio load and need time to stabilize. I have 2 davinci clowns about an inch long, a 2 1/2 inch open bubble tip anenome, one shrimp and a gobie waiting at my lfs for when i am ready to add them. should i add 1 each week or so or am i save adding a couple fish and waiting? my fish guy will let me keep them there for as long as i want
If I was starting a new tank I would add one fish per week u less I was adding a pair of clownfish,then would give the tank another week to add my 3rd fish.some might add them all at once and I'm sure it would probably be ok I just tend to be more cautious than most but good luck on everything!

bcb577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2018, 02:47 PM   #7
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapin View Post
Have you thought about a QT procedure? maybe just a minimum of TTM for Ich and Prazi Pro for parasites.
Get in the habit of doing TTM now, before you introduce Ick to your tank.

Repeat DO TTM!

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2018, 07:41 PM   #8
bullock111
Registered Member

ok I will set up my qt and run them through there for a couple weeks. should that be long enough or should I go longer??

Unread 12/08/2018, 08:29 AM   #9
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
ok I will set up my qt and run them through there for a couple weeks. should that be long enough or should I go longer??
TTM for 12 days, then QT for about two weeks. Research TTM if you don't know what it is. Check the fish disease forum

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 12:49 PM   #10
manateemark
Registered Member

Once you do the process of TTM I would add the shrimp into the tank first, then goby, and then the two clownfish. You don't really want to separate the clownfish because if one goes in the tank first it may get more dominant towards the other one.

manateemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2018, 03:06 PM   #11
bullock111
Registered Member

I can do that, the gobie and shrimp are friends now and the clowns are bonded so I wouldn't want to separate them if I don't have to

Unread 12/10/2018, 11:48 AM   #12
manateemark
Registered Member

Quote:
I can do that, the gobie and shrimp are friends now and the clowns are bonded so I wouldn't want to separate them if I don't have to
Keep us posted on how everything goes. Send pictures too if you can.

manateemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2018, 06:49 PM   #13
bullock111
Registered Member

I will have to see if I can figure out how to send them