Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/10/2015, 05:35 PM   #1
leemchildress
Registered Member

Remove Durso Overflow?

I am back in the hobby after a ten year break and need some guidance. I have a friend who is giving me a reef ready tank 48 x 24 x 30. It has a built in overflow with two 1" durso drains. My thinking is that that is not enough flow for a tank that size. The questions and ideas going through my head are:

1. I would like to drill the back and add a ghost overflow. (My wife would appreciate the security of provided by a Bean Animal).

2. If I do the above, should I remove the overflow and just cap the holes in the bottom of the tank, or leave it and use the two 1" holes for the return? If I remove the internal overflow, do I risk breaking the silicone seal in the tank at the bottom and possibly creating a leak?

3. Am I wrong and the 2 1" dursos are plenty of flow?

Hopefully some of you with much more knowledge and experience than me can shed some insight on my questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

leemchildress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2015, 05:42 PM   #2
stingeragent
Registered Member

Is it a single overflow or dual? I run 2 1" drains on my 125 and they have no problem keeping up. Neither one maintains even close to a full siphon with a mag 9.5 return. If they are in the same overflow, you could remove the durso portion, and setup a herbie system instead. A single 1" drain will be close to 900-960 gph. I personally would setup the herbie provided both your drains are in a single overflow and plumb return over the back.

stingeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2015, 06:14 PM   #3
leemchildress
Registered Member

Yes, just one overflow in the back corner with two holes drilled. Herbie sounds like a good idea as long as you think the flow would be adequate.

Unread 11/10/2015, 07:30 PM   #4
thegrun
Registered Member

I agree, 1" drain lines should be fine. I did add a third 1" emergency drain to my 120 and I think it is a good idea to have one, but two 1" drains is all you really need.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2015, 08:22 PM   #5
leemchildress
Registered Member

Thank you for your wisdom. I will proceed with my tank build then.

Tags
durso, overflow, return