Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/16/2016, 07:19 PM   #1
bluepoint
Registered Member

Help setting water level

How's it goin. Any help would be great. I'm adding a siphon overflow. I was wondering how to set the water level. I bought a cpr overflow. I was wondering if there's a way to set the hight of the siphon n water level to prevent the dt from overflow. Thank u Jimmy

bluepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Capsle
Registered Member

If your plumbing is setup properly it won't overflow.

You want your return pump to return a little less than what your overflow can handle. It's how much water is going back into the tank that will make it flood, not what's going out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 65G DT with custom overflow, 35G custom sump, maxspect R420r 180w 15K, reef octopus classic 150 skimmer.
Capsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/16/2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Capsle
Registered Member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SP0A8d2UkT8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 65G DT with custom overflow, 35G custom sump, maxspect R420r 180w 15K, reef octopus classic 150 skimmer.
Capsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/17/2016, 04:52 AM   #4
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

My CPR siphon overflows have plastic screws at either side on top. They screw down onto the rim of the tank. Turn the screws in and it lifts the CPR up and thus raises the water level in the tank. Turn the screws out and the CPR sits down lower and thus lowers the water in the tank.

Two serious suggestions:
1) If you don't have one already, seriously consider an aqua lifter pump for your CPR siphon.
2) Consider an emergency drain. If the main drain gets clogged, say a snail or a chunk of algae or food gets caught in the drain line. It may reduce or almost stop the flow of water from the tank to the sump. Now the sump doesn't know this and it keeps pumping water from the sump to the tank. What happens? Overflow and flooded room.

A second siphon box or a bigger siphon box with an extra drain line to the sump can save you serious heartache in the long run. It may never be needed, but it sure is good insurance.

Unread 10/04/2016, 07:03 PM   #5
bluepoint
Registered Member

What what I am worried about. Let's say my overflow does not restart I do have a lift pump to start this-but if it does not work I am worried to overflow to display tank. By the return pump sucking the sump dry and overfilling the DT

bluepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2016, 06:01 AM   #6
kmbyrnes
Registered Member

I've used siphon overflows for 3 years without any issues. But they also have 2 drains, just in case. I've only had a clog once, but I was glad for the other drain when it happened.

A properly designed and maintained siphon will restart on its own after you power up return pumps. Just be sure you are watching for air bubbles regularly.

Current Tank Info: Too small
kmbyrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2016, 02:57 PM   #7
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Set up a second siphon overflow. Or get one bigger one with 2 drain lines.

Tags
cpr overflow, flooding, overflow, water level