Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/17/2018, 06:14 AM   #1
JHall651
Registered Member

Ohio 200 Gallon Reef Savvy Build

Ok, so I am in the very early stages of building a custom 200 gallon in wall reef tank build. Currently I have 2 questions. First I have always been in love with a rimless Reef Savvy aquarium. I think they look beautiful and I have heard that their quality is unrivaled. So with that, my first question is if it would be overkill to go with a beautiful Reef Savvy Tank if most of the tank will not even be viewable? I'm fine with paying the extra money if they are also structurally and durably superior but I am not really sure if that is necessarily the case. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Now a caveat to this is that I do plan on my tank room being a bit of a man cave if you will, and it too will be clean and aesthetically pleasing with areas to work, make and dispose of water as well as relax and appreciate from a different/man cave perspective. My second question is kind of unrelated but I want to have a custom sump made that will not be under the tank for ease of access as well as I want to have a growout/frag section built in. My thoughts are to have a filter sock style that goes into a refugium, to a skimmer/reactor section, that rolls into a growout/frag section, and then into the return pump section. Anyone seen this before or have any thoughts on that idea? I have spoken with a company call Advanced Acrylics in California to have this made and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this company or knows someone who has. Thanks for reading everyone. I will be sure to keep everyone posted but I for see this taking a year (give or take) before it is 100% and wet. With that being said if you have any recommendations feel free to let me know. I plan on using all top notch equipment because this will be my final/dream display tank.

JHall651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 06:15 AM   #2
JHall651
Registered Member

Ok so this is every part and piece of equipment that will be making up the build. It is quite the list but if you guys can think of anything I missed or anything you would recommend against/changing let me know.

Tank: Reef Savvy 72" x 27" x 24" Rimless 200 gallon Phantom Bottom, Armored Seams with Center 21" Ghost Overflow and Dual Return. 3 sides low iron and black back.
Sump: Advanced Acrylics Custom 72" x 20" x 18" with 20" x 20" Frag/Grow-Out Section. Along with 2 x 7" filter socks and refugium.
Stands: Midwest Custom Aquarium Steal Powder Coated Black 72" x 27" x 42" Tank Stand and Steal Powder Coated Black 72" x 20" x 10" Sump Stand.
Plumbing: All Schedule 80 Grey 1" Return and 1.5" Bean Animal Overflow.
Lighting: 2 x Aquatic Life 36" Hybrid T5 and 4 x Radion XR15 G4 Pro w/ diffusers (2 per hybrid). Kessil H160 Tuna Flora Refugium light and Radion XR15 G4 Pro w/ diffuser Frag light.
Pumps: 4 x Ecotech MP40 in main display and MP10 in Frag. 2 x Reef Octopus Varios-8 for return.
Heaters: 2 x Eheim Jager 300W
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Regal 200INT Skimmer Varios
Controller: Apex Controller plus extra EB832 Energy Bar and Ecotech Live.
ATO: Tunze 5017.
Reactors: BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor - Dual w/ MJ1200
Doser: Apex DOS
Rock and Sand: 150lbs BRS Reef Saver, 20lbs BRS Reef Saver Shelf, 20lbs CaribSea Branch Liferock, 6 x Marinepure 8" x 8" x 4" plate ceramic biomedia for sump. 180lbs CaribSea Special Grade Arag-Alive Reef Sand.

I think that pretty much covers it. Let me know what you guys think or if I have missed anything.

Unread 10/17/2018, 06:17 AM   #3
JHall651
Registered Member

These are the overall dimensions and designs. Please let me know what you think. If you think I should add/remove/or change anything. I am pretty new at custom tanks and plumbing so if there are any plumbing gurus here please don't hold back. Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0A500B58-559E-4617-B965-B03BA700D5F5.jpg (79.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg E38D7B18-D0D4-404B-A6DB-CA130C95846D.jpg (84.4 KB, 33 views)
Unread 10/17/2018, 01:24 PM   #4
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

If it will be in wall, I would not spend the money to go rimless as you won't see rim anyway. You'd be better served to go with a Starfire front for a clearer pane.

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/17/2018, 01:32 PM   #5
JHall651
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeoffaith View Post
If it will be in wall, I would not spend the money to go rimless as you won't see rim anyway. You'd be better served to go with a Starfire front for a clearer pane.
lifeoffaith, Not sure if Reef Savvy calls it Starfire but I believe it to be the same. I think I will stay with "starfire" (low iron) quality glass on 3 sides just because I do plan to enjoy it from the tank room side but there is also a chance I may have a "viewing window" cut into one side of the wall (haven't determined which side yet). I have recently thought about going euro-brace though. My reasoning behind that is to eliminate the chances of splashing onto the wall and salt creep. I need to talk to Reef Savvy and see how that changes the price. Thanks for the input.

Unread 10/19/2018, 11:11 AM   #6
JHall651
Registered Member

Any other pointers, opinions, or ideas guys?

Unread 10/30/2018, 08:30 AM   #7
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHall651 View Post
Have you thought of an acrylic tank at all? seams that last forever if correctly done. Also I feel the clarity of an acrylic tank beat glass. in my opinion.

Babydaull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/30/2018, 01:55 PM   #8
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
Another thing to think about as well, with reef savy you only get a 1 year warranty, if you use a stand that is certified by reef savy you only get a 2 year warranty. Companies like marineland offer a lifetime warranty and will cover damages from a tank blowout. For the price that you'll pay for a reef savy tank it should come with a lifetime warranty. just my two cents..

I am from Ohio (Akron Area) myself and I had a shop in Valley City (Aquatica Aquarium Galley) build me an acrylic tank and sump all custom to my likings. They even brought it to my house and set it up for me. In my opinion its always nice to support a lfs when you can, especially one with an amazing reputation and tons of experience.

Lastly if you are looking for clarity, acrylic is waaaay better than any glass out there.

Hope this Helps

Unread 10/30/2018, 02:05 PM   #9
JHall651
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydaull View Post
Another thing to think about as well, with reef savy you only get a 1 year warranty, if you use a stand that is certified by reef savy you only get a 2 year warranty. Companies like marineland offer a lifetime warranty and will cover damages from a tank blowout. For the price that you'll pay for a reef savy tank it should come with a lifetime warranty. just my two cents..

I am from Ohio (Akron Area) myself and I had a shop in Valley City (Aquatica Aquarium Galley) build me an acrylic tank and sump all custom to my likings. They even brought it to my house and set it up for me. In my opinion its always nice to support a lfs when you can, especially one with an amazing reputation and tons of experience.

Lastly if you are looking for clarity, acrylic is waaaay better than any glass out there.

Hope this Helps
Good to know Baby. I will keep this in mind. I was under the impression that low iron glass was the clearest option. Plus I hate how soft acrylic is. It scratches way to easy. I’ve had a small acrylic before and I currently have a small glass. I prefer glass. Thanks again

Unread 10/30/2018, 02:14 PM   #10
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
Good to know Baby. I will keep this in mind. I was under the impression that low iron glass was the clearest option. Plus I hate how soft acrylic is. It scratches way to easy. I’ve had a small acrylic before and I currently have a small glass. I prefer glass. Thanks again
No problem! i have found the scratches can be buffed out super easily. if you decide to go glass, i would still looking into the lfs i talked about.. they could build your sump and provide all your equipment and plumbing. Ill be keeping my eye out down the road to see this build!