Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2016, 06:59 PM   #101
CStrickland
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelfishy View Post
Good tip for novices and experts. Before cooking live rocks, it is a good idea to let it sun dry for a few days.
I haven't seen anything to indicate that dried out palytoxin is less poisonous.
In fact, I read a post in another thread where the guy dried the rock out, and later kicked up some dust from it - killed his dog and put himself in the er.

Current Tank Info: 3/2016 upgrade to 120g. Chalk bass, melanurus, firefish, starry blenny, canary blenny, lyretail anthias, engineer gobys, kole tang. Softies / LPS / NPS. <3 noob4life <3
CStrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2016, 11:39 AM   #102
entropygain
Registered Member

I'm surprised that boiling could vaporize palytoxin given its chemical structure. However, something toxic is getting released for sure. There is also a report in the scientific literature about multiple cases of very similar origin. More details in the link below if anyone wants more technical information.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3770997/

Current Tank Info: 140 gal LPS/Softie reef
entropygain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2016, 02:23 PM   #103
Frontier
Duke of Valonia

I have a short story along these lines. When I first started in this hobby back in the day, I purchased a rock with a couple of different colonies of Zoas/Polyps. As everyone does when they are eagerly starting their first tank, I was constantly rearranging things with my bare hands - including this rock.

Around that same time period I started having some very strange heart arrhythmia and other symptoms including a metallic taste in my mouth. This was very scary and I went to see my doc who ran tests and referred me to a cardiologist. I finally, luckily, put two and two together when I ran some searches on "metallic taste" and found a small blurb somewhere concerning a person who had experienced the same thing from touching Golden Polyps. Guess what was on that rock? Ding!

It was pure chance that searching "metallic taste" caused me to find this after frantically researching for days to try to figure out What horrible disease I had and *** was wrong with me. In short, I never touched them (or that rock) again and the symptoms went away for good.

Edit - These suckers: Yellow Polyps

If you read down -
Palytoxin
The members of the Zoanthidae family have varying degrees of poison called palytoxin. All of the Palythoa genus and most Protopalythoa genus produce a high level of this poison in their mucus and gonads. Other genera, such as the Zoanthus genus, have it to a lesser extent, and so a less dangerous degree.

These are worse than Zonathus genus evidently. Who Knew? LFS was selling them as "Golden Polyps" and I bought them. It's easy to find info on this now, not so much in 99/2000.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 170

Last edited by Frontier; 02/06/2016 at 02:47 PM.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2016, 09:54 PM   #104
FortyFour
Registered Member

Years later, thank you for sharing.

FortyFour is offline   Reply With Quote