Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/31/2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Lowefx
Registered Member

Question How do you guys keep your sand bed clean?

I have fine sand at the bottom of my tank, and i cant keep it nearly as clean as other pictures on this site. My 55gal has 1-Conch snail, 2-turbo snails, 2-damsels, coco worm, and 1 Wrasse. A few small frags at the moment. HOB Filter.
Whan i syphon water for my water change, it doesnt pick up the crap, and if it does i get sand too. Plus i dont want to disturb it too much.

Can Anyone help me?

Lowefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2012, 11:14 AM   #2
ItzJustinN
Nano-Reefin' Newbie

i would get some nassarius vibex snails and possibly add a goby.

150G Mixed reef in the works!
34G RSM130d & 38G Nuvo for sale!
ItzJustinN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Allmost
Moved On

how thick is the sand bed ?

if shallow, stir it during the week

if deep, stir the top during the week.

a comb or a kent algae scrapper works great.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Lowefx
Registered Member

I would say its maybe 2"s deep. Should i still stir it?

Unread 05/31/2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Palting
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowefx View Post
I would say its maybe 2"s deep. Should i still stir it?
Yes. I agitate sections of my 2" substrate maybe once every 2 weeks or so,

I see pictures tanks with pristine white sand. I am sorry, but in my opinion that is just not natural. In nature, pristine white sand is dead, like in the beach that we all lay down on and get sunburned. The substrate and rocks around living reef is full of life, living organisms of all color, including dirty brown and gray and black and green. I have a medium grain black substrate, and I keep it "clean enough". It's not coal black like it was when it was brand new, but it is mottled in a tapestry of colors. The grains are large enough you can see diffrent colored coraline on them, but there are small patches of turf algae as well. No GHA, no cyano, but even of there were, I would probably leave them alone, too, as long as they didn't become mats. If it comes off with a turkey baster, then it's dirt or "detritus" and should be gone. If it stays there, then it's a life form and shoiuld be left alone. I guess it's a question of taste, opinion, and what we want, but I want my reef tank natural.

Current Tank Info: Incept 3/2010, 150 RR, 50g sump, 20g fuge, 150w 15K MH x3, T5 actinics x8, moonlight LED x6, 1400gph return, Koralia 1400 x4, 300 g skimmer, 4 tangs, 2 mandarins, 2 perc, 6 line, 3 cardinals, 2 firefish, SPS, LPS, zoas, palys, shrooms, clam
Palting is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palting View Post
Yes. I agitate sections of my 2" substrate maybe once every 2 weeks or so,

I see pictures tanks with pristine white sand. I am sorry, but in my opinion that is just not natural. In nature, pristine white sand is dead, like in the beach that we all lay down on and get sunburned. The substrate and rocks around living reef is full of life, living organisms of all color, including dirty brown and gray and black and green. I have a medium grain black substrate, and I keep it "clean enough". It's not coal black like it was when it was brand new, but it is mottled in a tapestry of colors. The grains are large enough you can see diffrent colored coraline on them, but there are small patches of turf algae as well. No GHA, no cyano, but even of there were, I would probably leave them alone, too, as long as they didn't become mats. If it comes off with a turkey baster, then it's dirt or "detritus" and should be gone. If it stays there, then it's a life form and shoiuld be left alone. I guess it's a question of taste, opinion, and what we want, but I want my reef tank natural.
not all bacteria are color full
so you can have a sand bed full of life, yet white.

when bactria and detritus starts to build up, then u can notice it. and that needs to be dealt with.

you can keep the sand bed prety white and clean, but it wont be what it was at first day tank was set up though.

you are using larger grain, and coraline can grow on it, this happens less often with fine sand.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2012, 12:21 PM   #7
sponger0
Registered Member

Nassarius snails and Starry blenny

sponger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2012, 12:51 PM   #8
bamf25
Registered Member

I syphon it when I do my water changes. I have medium grade sand not sugarfine so that picks up fine particulate, but leave the sand.

bamf25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Uncle Salty 05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamf25 View Post
i syphon it when i do my water changes. I have medium grade sand not sugarfine so that picks up fine particulate, but leave the sand.
+1

Current Tank Info: 180 gal reef tank with dual attached refugiums 20 long and 10 gallon. Plus 55 gallon True Percula breeding tank.
Uncle Salty 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2012, 02:52 PM   #10
Playa-1
Moved On

I keep my sand bed clean with a Diamond Goby and 40x flow from powerheads.

Playa-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2012, 03:11 PM   #11
EasyEd77
Registered Member

I have two fighting conch snails that do a great job keeping the sand white. They are also interesting critters to watch.

75 gallon AGA with Lifereef compact refugium 2 sump, 2 T5 HO w/individual reflector and 2 175 watt MH canopy retrofit kit, GEO 612 calcium reactor with masterflex, and litermeter 3 water exchange system.
EasyEd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2012, 04:15 PM   #12
JCKoenig
Registered Member

My diamond goby does a great job!

Unread 05/31/2012, 08:34 PM   #13
Lowefx
Registered Member

Just did a 5gal water change trying to suck up and crap from the bottom. didnt work as planned. Sand was all clumped together and didnt come clean....i gotta get a goby and more snails i guess...What goby is the most colorful and fun to watch that isnt aggressive and wont eat my coral. The less it hides the better.

Unread 05/31/2012, 08:41 PM   #14
TPSante
Registered Member

I have an orange spot goby and he had my 60 cube sparkling in a week. I'm a little worried he's not getting enough to eat now! It's amazing, he's so efficient!

Unread 05/31/2012, 08:44 PM   #15
Andrew
Registered Member

You should never have to clean your sand. Mine is always white as can be. Keep up on water changes, use rodi water, and keep your phosphates at zero. Could snails in the mix and you won't ever have to clean it.

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2012, 08:56 PM   #16
Lowefx
Registered Member

I do use RODI water, and phosphate was tested at 0.25 guess i need more snails and goby's

Unread 05/31/2012, 10:52 PM   #17
agruetz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowefx View Post
I do use RODI water, and phosphate was tested at 0.25 guess i need more snails and goby's
There is the issue right there. The phosphates in your RODI. The filters need changing the RODI should have nothing in it when done. However i use a queen conch to keep mine clean and stirred. Does a great job... needs a lot of sand space and might need extra feedings they eat a lot.

Unread 05/31/2012, 11:27 PM   #18
toned
Registered Member

my diamond goby did a great job until he found a 1x1 opening in the cover and jumped out

toned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2012, 04:12 AM   #19
ajcanale
Registered Member

Ideal water parameters (Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate < 5, Phosphate = low) + a good CUC = clean sand. An established tank helps too.

Current Tank Info: 150g Starphire Pensinula SPS
ajcanale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2012, 09:34 AM   #20
Lowefx
Registered Member

Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite were all 0, calc was 390, posphate was 0.25 before the 5gal water change. Ill retest tonight, but i think i gotta order more snails and a goby.

Unread 06/01/2012, 10:48 AM   #21
cloak
Moved On

Here's a good article.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/rs/index.php

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2016, 02:38 AM   #22
ISHIRIX.
Registered Member

I mean absoloutly no offence as I say this but paltings response sounds almost like justifying dirt on a white carpet how the color of sand and mud would make it more beautiful that aside it was still a good answer. BTW diamond goby's are great sand cleaners just careful for rock collapses only problem I've had is he makes sand piles but that's Easyer than stirring the whole bet right lol

Last edited by ISHIRIX.; 01/29/2016 at 02:40 AM. Reason: derp
ISHIRIX. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2016, 02:41 AM   #23
tophericks
Registered Member

I have medium grade sand not sugarfine so that picks up fine particulate

tophericks is offline   Reply With Quote