Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2012, 11:28 PM   #101
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrim123 View Post
I need a fixture soon and I am wondering if I should wait for the Vega's? Anybody have solid release info?
Had you waited from when they were first announced, you would've waited, uh, let's see... 8 months and counting? In other words, I doubt anyone will be able to give you a solid release date at this point, not even AI. The Phoenix was supposed to be released in the fall with a $499 pricetag.

D-Nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2012, 05:41 AM   #102
Guillaume
Another reef dependant

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtrash View Post
I added a supplemental LED unit (10 violet, 2 red, 2 green & 4 RB) in the middle of 2 sol blue and it added the extra pop that should of been there. So the color vega would be well worth it. After 2 weeks orange is turned pink again RBTA glows, no miracle but I think with time it will get closer to T5 color. Bring on the VEGA COLOR
Any details on the mod you did? Pics? I was considering this too and was thinking about replacing some blue or RBlue with other colors (red or green, etc)

Current Tank Info: 150g mixed reef
Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/21/2012, 01:49 PM   #103
Hendrix99
Registered Member

I tried to wait for these but wound up having to go with the radions. I am excited about them though, competition should be good for dropping the prices all around. I would definitely consider picking one of these up if I ever get to upgrade tank sizes (which at the current rate of delay might coincide with the Vega release day).

Hendrix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 01:49 PM   #104
Pico1
Registered Member

AI just announced that each puck on the vega can have customized color combos. See RB or the AI facebook page for more info. Good stuff.

Pico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 03:32 PM   #105
blackgate
Registered Member

STILL no release date??? Guess I'm gonna have to get radions, waited as long as I could.

blackgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 03:47 PM   #106
AcroporAddict
There is no substitute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico1 View Post
AI just announced that each puck on the vega can have customized color combos. See RB or the AI facebook page for more info. Good stuff.
The Vega will come stock with whites and blues, then the lucky buyers will have to replace the stock white/blue pucks with whatever custom ones they want. Yay, everyone gets to buy twice!

AcroporAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 03:55 PM   #107
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroporAddict View Post
The Vega will come stock with whites and blues, then the lucky buyers will have to replace the stock white/blue pucks with whatever custom ones they want. Yay, everyone gets to buy twice!

If this is the case then thats kinda retarded, unless they do have a regular vega and then a color version vega, and then you can still change out the pucks with different colors later. thats what im thinking. or hoping at least.

THERE BETTER BE A REGULAR VEGA AND THE VEGA COLOR, 2 versions just like they had before.

Last edited by pnavarro170; 06/04/2012 at 04:07 PM.
pnavarro170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 04:10 PM   #108
jtrim123
Registered Member

Yep keep pumping out useless information! None of this is relevant without a release date!

jtrim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 05:39 PM   #109
Pico1
Registered Member

They could possibly sell the fixture puck-less and allow the buyer to order what they want.

Pico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 05:53 PM   #110
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico1 View Post
They could possibly sell the fixture puck-less and allow the buyer to order what they want.
I hope so!, if not by the time it ACTUALLY comes out there will be more things out and ill buy something else. lol

Unread 06/04/2012, 06:06 PM   #111
OneReef
Reef Guru

Three AI Sol units over a 120g: ( I have a LED backlit shadowbox as my background, but the LEDs had just gone out for the night when I took the picture)

OneReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 06:12 PM   #112
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnavarro170 View Post
I hope so!, if not by the time it ACTUALLY comes out there will be more things out and ill buy something else. lol
+1. AI quickly became the "all talk, no product" company. They need to actually release something before I believe in them again. I think that they have a lot of good ideas, they just need to shift to actually producing something.

I personally don't think it makes sense to make a Vega and a Vega color. All Vegas should be the color version. If folks just want two colors of LEDs, they can buy the Sols.

I have to chuckle when I see the Vega on the homepage of the AI site. It's not even a "real" product yet. AFIAC it's still a demo unit.

From a marketing perspective, it would've made more sense to release the Color Vega with a stock color arrangement. Then a few months down the road, they could offer the puck swap option. At this point, most people who are interested in swapping out their pucks will know what they want. I'm just waiting for all of the RC threads asking "what is your AI puck arrangement?" or "which is the best puck arrangement" and have all of the "no my option is better" and "I want to see photos" (and we know photos don't really help all that much when it comes to LEDs coloration since LEDs tend to photograph terribly) responses.

My apologies, I'm a bitter -- I waited and waited for the Phoenix to come out, and it never happened. Then I waited for the Vega, and am curious about the Vega Color...

D-Nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 09:54 PM   #113
6Speed
Zardoz

I waited a long time for the nano sol to be released. I think they missed the original date by at least 6 months or more.

6Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2012, 10:08 PM   #114
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

They should go on the show shark tank, and make a pitch to mark cuban to get some money and some people who know how to get some things done. lol

Unread 06/04/2012, 11:19 PM   #115
TimothyJ
Registered Member

Not going to lie, slightly disappointed at the speed of info coming out. It has been around four weeks to go from flashy video to telling us we can pick colors. At this rate I will be lighting my tombstone with an AI Vega.

Unread 06/05/2012, 12:34 AM   #116
TimeConsumer
Registered Member

Is AI using the new Cree XM-L in the Vega?

Otherwise the Vega color with it's 20 LEDs (some not very useful for photosynthesis like green) may not provide as much light as the Sol with it's 24 LEDs.

Unread 06/05/2012, 07:23 AM   #117
drtrash
Registered Member

onereef, what is the % of W are you using, great color in photo. Looking forward to this light surfacing, waiting is tough, will be saving up for the upgrade. Hard to understand the AI business plan

drtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 09:31 AM   #118
MedRed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyJ View Post
Not going to lie, slightly disappointed at the speed of info coming out. It has been around four weeks to go from flashy video to telling us we can pick colors. At this rate I will be lighting my tombstone with an AI Vega.

that "flashy video" wasn't supposed to leak 4 weeks ago.

Unread 06/05/2012, 10:18 AM   #119
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

AI is great at releasing...

...new names for products they don't have.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 01:15 PM   #120
MedRed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
AI is great at releasing...

...new names for products they don't have.
speaking of... when are these getting launched?

http://www.aquaillumination.com/flare/

Unread 06/05/2012, 01:20 PM   #121
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Coming soon to a dream near you. lol

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2012, 01:46 PM   #122
aandfsoccr04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneReef View Post
Three AI Sol units over a 120g: ( I have a LED backlit shadowbox as my background, but the LEDs had just gone out for the night when I took the picture)

I really really like your rockscaping. The little isand on the right offset from the main middle island looks really awesome! Beautiful tank

Unread 06/06/2012, 08:57 AM   #123
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

this if off AI's facebook page a day or 2 ago.

"The AI Vega will begin shipping this summer in our traditional silver/white as well as the popular black housing color combination. We will offer two standard Vega LED combinations: cool white, royal blue, and blue; as well as cool white, royal blue, blue, green, and deep red for those that would like a warmer color combination. Custom Power Pucks may be purchased through our Color Configuration tool. --Stefan Bieri-"

Unread 06/06/2012, 09:22 AM   #124
gveng
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnavarro170 View Post
this if off AI's facebook page a day or 2 ago.

"The AI Vega will begin shipping this summer in our traditional silver/white as well as the popular black housing color combination. We will offer two standard Vega LED combinations: cool white, royal blue, and blue; as well as cool white, royal blue, blue, green, and deep red for those that would like a warmer color combination. Custom Power Pucks may be purchased through our Color Configuration tool. --Stefan Bieri-"
According to Google.com, "The astronomical summer (Northern Hemisphere) begins Wednesday, June 20, 2012, and ends Friday, September 21, 2012."

So with that said, 14 more days until the Vegas come out! can't wait!

Unread 06/06/2012, 11:20 AM   #125
pnavarro170
S.T.A.R.S PRESIDENT

lol i would bet sept 20th even if they did go by this summer thing.