Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/20/2015, 08:10 AM   #101
ijnoj09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6sigma View Post
ijnoj, I just noticed something maybe you haven't....the corner brackets that come with our cadlights, if you look closely they have pieces on them which look flexible. Do you believe that they are meant to be broken off (merely bent back and forth should do it) and then those two individual small pieces on each corner are meant to be used for support to the longer lengths of the edges of the tank to hold the weight of the glass that cadlights includes? I'm going to call them tomorrow, not that I might get a true response, since I have not much faith in their ability to tell the truth. Take a second look at your braces, I think you'll see what I did, that they were meant to be broken off to actually truly secure the glass in multiple places. My tank comes with two glass pieces and so I thought it was dumb there was no additional support in center. The overflow box helps on the back end but there was nothing in the front...thank for your feedback

I believe they are meant to be broken off too but I never did as I don't use the glass covers that came with the tank. The net top I made is light enough to not need the middle support.

ijnoj09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2015, 01:51 AM   #102
champion6sigma
Registered Member

Whats new on the tank ijnoj?

Any pics?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2538593
champion6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2016, 02:55 PM   #103
BlackLagoon
Registered Member

What is that at the end of your drain line? Looks like a little acrylic box. I didn't see anywhere where you referenced it. Considering the same setup and this thread has been great.

BlackLagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2016, 04:47 PM   #104
rinoNJ
Registered Member

Plumbing

I love the plumbing job you did! Do you have a picture of the overflow box from the top? i want to see how much higher your emergency drain is over the standard drain and if you used a durso at all or not. i basically want to copy you entire plumbing set-up...

I bought a cadlights 150 (against all internet recommendations) and so far have had the same disappointing experience at everyone else because of parts forgotten,damage, etc. Hopefully they will correct issues as i plan i doing a full write up on my experience.

Thanks!

Rino

rinoNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2016, 06:09 PM   #105
champion6sigma
Registered Member

welcome to the cadlight dissapointment gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinoNJ View Post
I love the plumbing job you did! Do you have a picture of the overflow box from the top? i want to see how much higher your emergency drain is over the standard drain and if you used a durso at all or not. i basically want to copy you entire plumbing set-up...

I bought a cadlights 150 (against all internet recommendations) and so far have had the same disappointing experience at everyone else because of parts forgotten,damage, etc. Hopefully they will correct issues as i plan i doing a full write up on my experience.

Thanks!

Rino
The durso drain is fairly close to the height of the emergency drain(emergency drain slightly lower than the durso thing with hole on top) but hardly noticeable

Unread 01/21/2016, 08:17 PM   #106
zchauvin
Registered Member

Looking good, how do you like the reef rock? Did you have to do anything different with it vs regular live rock?

zchauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2016, 11:09 PM   #107
ClownReef®
Bubbletrousing

ijnoj.. Do you have an emergency drain on your system?

Unread 01/23/2016, 12:16 AM   #108
ijnoj09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLagoon View Post
What is that at the end of your drain line? Looks like a little acrylic box. I didn't see anywhere where you referenced it. Considering the same setup and this thread has been great.

It's Media basket I purchased from InTank media baskets. I don't like using filter socks and use the media basket to hold filter floss.

Unread 01/23/2016, 12:21 AM   #109
ijnoj09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchauvin View Post
Looking good, how do you like the reef rock? Did you have to do anything different with it vs regular live rock?

I love the rock... As far as I can tell it's no different then using real live rock. I didn't do anything differently, I threw the rock in with water and let the rock cure along with the cycle. I didn't notice any die off or ammonia spikes, algae blooms etc and I'm going on my 5th month.

Unread 01/23/2016, 12:22 AM   #110
ijnoj09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownReef[emoji768
;24270824]ijnoj.. Do you have an emergency drain on your system?

Yes all cadlights artisan tanks have an emergency drain.

Unread 01/23/2016, 12:25 AM   #111
champion6sigma
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijnoj09 View Post
It's Media basket I purchased from InTank media baskets. I don't like using filter socks and use the media basket to hold filter floss.
do you have a link to the exact basket you purchased?

Do you simply put a thick layer of filter floss as a base in basket and let the drain water hit it with the drain being a few inches from touching the floss? Any slowing of water flow with it?

Why don't you like filter socks?

Do you use activated carbon? Why or Why not? If you do, how do you use it?

thank you.

Unread 01/23/2016, 03:33 PM   #112
ijnoj09
Registered Member

Quote:
do you have a link to the exact basket you purchased?

Do you simply put a thick layer of filter floss as a base in basket and let the drain water hit it with the drain being a few inches from touching the floss? Any slowing of water flow with it?

Why don't you like filter socks?

Do you use activated carbon? Why or Why not? If you do, how do you use it?

thank you.

I believe I bought the for the JBJ rimless nano 20. I just put a layer of poly fill I buy from Walmart in the crafts section and the water drains in through the tip through the filter and out the bottom.

I just don't like using filter socks because you have to clean them. I just use the filter floss and change it out every few days, it's easier for me to just throw the old one away and put in new floss.

Yes I use activated carbon in a media reactor.

Unread 01/23/2016, 03:45 PM   #113
ijnoj09
Registered Member

Quote:

Thanks!

Rino
Here's a shot of the overflow. I do use the durso on my setup.

Cadlights has been hit or miss for some people. I've been completely happy with my setup, my only knock is the metric bulkheads they supply and the cheap plumbing they provide with the tanks. One of the reasons why I decided to redo the plumbing on mine.

Untitled by Jonji, on Flickr

Unread 01/24/2016, 03:24 PM   #114
champion6sigma
Registered Member

Quote:
I believe I bought the for the JBJ rimless nano 20. I just put a layer of poly fill I buy from Walmart in the crafts section and the water drains in through the tip through the filter and out the bottom.

I just don't like using filter socks because you have to clean them. I just use the filter floss and change it out every few days, it's easier for me to just throw the old one away and put in new floss.

Yes I use activated carbon in a media reactor.
Thanks.

I'm still working on using mechanical filtration...I have the filter pads, I have socks, I have a bag of activated carbon which not sure if its leaking dark substance in sump or if its my skimmer which has overflowed multiple times, so could be detriment.

I also have straight carbon looking pellets which an LFS told me thats what they use at fish farms. Looks like it would fit in a media reactor. He said i could put them in a filter sock after rinsing them and then rinse sock too then add under the return valve...

The activated bag I have is currently just in the sump, previously was placed under neath the return opening pipe.

What are your thoughts to adding anything to overflow box? activated carbon or filter stuff?

thank you

Unread 01/24/2016, 07:49 PM   #115
mmarti91
Registered Member

nice very clean

mmarti91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2016, 07:50 PM   #116
mmarti91
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes all cadlights artisan tanks have an emergency drain.
yup

mmarti91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2016, 10:32 AM   #117
ijnoj09
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks.

I'm still working on using mechanical filtration...I have the filter pads, I have socks, I have a bag of activated carbon which not sure if its leaking dark substance in sump or if its my skimmer which has overflowed multiple times, so could be detriment.

I also have straight carbon looking pellets which an LFS told me thats what they use at fish farms. Looks like it would fit in a media reactor. He said i could put them in a filter sock after rinsing them and then rinse sock too then add under the return valve...

The activated bag I have is currently just in the sump, previously was placed under neath the return opening pipe.

What are your thoughts to adding anything to overflow box? activated carbon or filter stuff?

thank you

You could use filter floss in the overflow to help keep detritus from accumulating in there but I wouldn't put carbon etc in there. Better to have it in the sump.

Unread 01/30/2016, 02:22 AM   #118
champion6sigma
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. Any updated pics? Whats your near future plans for additions?

I'm looking into getting an RODI system...and I'm considering replacing the cadlights protein skimmer. I'm going to give it a good cleaning. with vinegar then give it another shot. I had a family emergency and was gone from tank for a few days unexpectedly...and I've had intermittent problems since then along with complete muck in the skimmer, and in the sump. This weekend I'll be working double time to tidy up tank, sump, skimmer, clean the mp40's.

i may also attempt to put in the biopellet reactor cad lights...I need to find the manual.

I've got some coral now. cabbage leather , finger leather, a hammer, and bubble tip anemone, a coral beauty addition and a baby nemo to make a pair for my big one. hopefully next week after my cleaning overhaul i can post some pics...

Unread 02/17/2016, 05:29 PM   #119
ijnoj09
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Any updated pics? Whats your near future plans for additions?

I'm looking into getting an RODI system...and I'm considering replacing the cadlights protein skimmer. I'm going to give it a good cleaning. with vinegar then give it another shot. I had a family emergency and was gone from tank for a few days unexpectedly...and I've had intermittent problems since then along with complete muck in the skimmer, and in the sump. This weekend I'll be working double time to tidy up tank, sump, skimmer, clean the mp40's.

i may also attempt to put in the biopellet reactor cad lights...I need to find the manual.

I've got some coral now. cabbage leather , finger leather, a hammer, and bubble tip anemone, a coral beauty addition and a baby nemo to make a pair for my big one. hopefully next week after my cleaning overhaul i can post some pics...

I've been lagging on updates on the tank. I've just been letting tank mature and stabilize adding corals and fish here and there.

Hopefully I'll post some updated pics soon as well as what's currently in the tank.

Unread 03/02/2016, 10:56 PM   #120
sam black
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.lemke View Post
60x30x22
Now that's a TANK!! Dude!!

sam black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2016, 01:04 AM   #121
Devaji108
Registered Member

how are you liking the light. I was looking in to them the other day...

is your stand MDF or real wood?

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2016, 10:17 PM   #122
ijnoj09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devaji108 View Post
how are you liking the light. I was looking in to them the other day...

is your stand MDF or real wood?

I'm very happy with the lights. It's well made.

The stand is made of plywood.

Unread 03/04/2016, 04:05 PM   #123
mgoulding
Registered Member

Awesome build!

mgoulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2016, 11:10 PM   #124
ijnoj09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoulding View Post
Awesome build!

Thanks!

Unread 03/14/2016, 07:40 PM   #125
Reef Hooked
Registered Member

Quote:

Thanks!

Rino
Add me to the list. Received 70G Artisan II tank with damaged stand (cabinet and doors). Requested replacement doors since cabinet damage was on a side that happened to be adjacent to a wall. Was told end of Feb now "might" be end of April (stated that they only received half their cargo container). Also forgot to ship refugium lighting. Been told twice it would be sent immediately. No luck yet. Now trying to go back through Marine Depot whom I purchased the tank through. Let me know if they correct your issues.

ijnoj09-thank you for the info and the ideas on the plumbing. I decided to switch to metric too because I though it would be better than the flex pipe and the info was very helpful.

Reef Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote