Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2011, 08:28 PM   #1
hilde123
Registered Member

Cleaning Filter Socks - Bleach

I just bought another set of filter socks so I can rotate and clean in between (trying to improve tank husbandry!). I want to soak them in a bucket of bleach and water and then de-chlorinate before rinsing and re-using. Does anyone do this to clean their filter socks, if so how much bleach should I add to a 5 gallon bucket of water?

hilde123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2011, 09:02 PM   #2
reefsurfing
Registered Member

I used to run them a cycle in the washing machine with nothing but bleach and dropped 'em in ro with "prime", afterwards, let them dry for 48 hours. Since then I have switched to the mesh version of filter solck and I am much happier vs the felt.

reefsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2011, 07:24 AM   #3
Chris27
Registered Member

Run em through the washer, and then let them completely dry, once dry they are safe to use. When chlorine evaporates, it's no longer dangerous to your tank.

Current Tank Info: 180 Mixed Reef
Chris27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Dr Colliebreath
Registered Member

I rinse mine inside out under tap water, and then soak them individually in a plastic disposable cup (about 18 oz) with about a teaspoon of bleach. It keeps the plastic rim portion of the filter sock out of the bleach. After the bleach solution, I rinse well with tap water, blot dry with paper towels to remove the tap water, and then rinse with rodi water and let air dry.

I would start with 1/8 - 1/4 cup of bleach and see if it works well enough. You could add a little bit more if needed.

I don't use a washing machine out of concern that there may be detergent residue and I don't want what is in the filter sock on my clothes.

Current Tank Info: 110 Oceanic RR w/35 gal sump and SRO XP2000 int
Dr Colliebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2011, 10:59 AM   #5
jcw
Registered Member

Just wondering why people are using bleach?

I just rinse well, scrub a little and dry. It's not like they're not going right back in the fish poop they came from, right?

-eznet2u

Current Tank Info: 125g DT, custom 30g sump, ATB elegance, eheim 1260, mp40 (too many failed wetsides), gyre 150 (love it)
jcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Dr Colliebreath
Registered Member

A bit of disinfectant and aesthetics.

Current Tank Info: 110 Oceanic RR w/35 gal sump and SRO XP2000 int
Dr Colliebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2011, 01:52 PM   #7
dublo8
Registered Member

Your filter sock holds a lot of nasties in them, so bleach is a good way to disinfect them just like the above poster mentioned. I turn my inside out and put them in the washer with my wifes white's lol and add an extra rinse cycle to it, just to make sure the bleach is gone, then let them dry. I have about 10 socks so they are always waiting in rotation. I also agree that the mesh socks are waaaaay better than the felt. Felt sometimes doesn't get as clean as I like and seems to make my skimmer go crazy every time I put a new one in, no matter how long I rinse it, my skimmer goes nuts for about 24 hours but the mesh ones don't.

Unread 08/13/2011, 02:10 PM   #8
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

I can guarantee you that you will never get the filter sock as clean using manual cleaning methods as when running it in the washer with some bleach. just hang dry for a few days and the chlorine will dissipate. as to how much bleach, I don't really measure, but I'd say no more than 1 cup for a large washer load. I'd say even 1/2 cup is good enough.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2011, 07:20 PM   #9
Chris27
Registered Member

Honestly, I'm just really lazy, tossing a few socks in the washer with some bleach is about as easy a task as you can get with this hobby.

Current Tank Info: 180 Mixed Reef
Chris27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2011, 11:51 AM   #10
Robert62779
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilde123 View Post
I just bought another set of filter socks so I can rotate and clean in between (trying to improve tank husbandry!). I want to soak them in a bucket of bleach and water and then de-chlorinate before rinsing and re-using. Does anyone do this to clean their filter socks, if so how much bleach should I add to a 5 gallon bucket of water?
I throw mine in the washer with some bleach. Then i run the rinse cycle a few times after.

Robert62779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2011, 12:10 PM   #11
jcw
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ughb0y View Post
I can guarantee you that you will never get the filter sock as clean using manual cleaning methods as when running it in the washer with some bleach. just hang dry for a few days and the chlorine will dissipate. as to how much bleach, I don't really measure, but I'd say no more than 1 cup for a large washer load. I'd say even 1/2 cup is good enough.
I guess I'm just wondering if they somehow perform better after a chlorine bath vs rinsing and light scrub by hand?
Although, tossing them in a washer sounds VERY temptingly simple.

-eznet2u

Current Tank Info: 125g DT, custom 30g sump, ATB elegance, eheim 1260, mp40 (too many failed wetsides), gyre 150 (love it)
jcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2011, 12:11 PM   #12
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris27 View Post
Run em through the washer, and then let them completely dry, once dry they are safe to use. When chlorine evaporates, it's no longer dangerous to your tank.
Exactly.

Unread 08/25/2011, 01:27 PM   #13
Cayman
Registered Member

Washer, delicate cycle w/ a splash of bleach. Air dry for a day or so and back to the sump.

Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2011, 04:26 PM   #14
mmotown
Registered Member

I was mine in reg unscented cholorx bleach. Gets them clean and then I was again without to make sure they are rinsed well. Never had any problems with tank... I have 6 fs. When I get 3 or 4 dirty it's time to wash

mmotown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2011, 04:45 PM   #15
jhoff
Registered Member

turn sock inside out Rince in hot water with hose from sink put 4 to 5 socks in a 5gal bucket with one cup of bleach fill bucket half way with hot water soak over night rince out with rodi water hang out to dry..Been doin this for years don't trust washer could be some leftover detergent even after rince cycle...

jhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2011, 07:32 PM   #16
thor109
Registered Member.

I just take outside turn inside out and spray with hose, let air dry and rinse in RO before putting back in. The come really clean with the pressure nozzle. I don't know what I'm going to do in winter. Maybe install hose in laundry room and spray off in bathtub. I just don't feel good putting in washer. There has to be left over soap in there. I know everyone does it, that's just how I feel.

thor109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2011, 07:35 PM   #17
foxrazr
Registered Member

Been putting mine in the washer with bleach let air dry and use again in 2 weeks or so. No problems here.

foxrazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2011, 07:41 PM   #18
Stanley-Reefer
Registered Member

With bleach you don't even have to turn them inside out.....I put it on whitest whites, sanitize, and heavily soiled and in 2:10 after an extra rinse they dry on top of the washer...

No probs over 2 years.

Stanley-Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2011, 02:18 PM   #19
GeoB
Registered Member

Has anyone tried useing Hydrogen Peroxide for this purpose?

GeoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2011, 02:47 PM   #20
UnusualSuspect
Registered Member

I don't bleach mine. I turn them inside out, put them in a mesh bag and run them through a hot-water wash with no soap or bleach, double rinse, then toss them in the dryer. Works great.

90 gal (freshwater)
36 gal bow (reef)
UnusualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2011, 03:01 PM   #21
detroit_fan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnusualSuspect View Post
I don't bleach mine. I turn them inside out, put them in a mesh bag and run them through a hot-water wash with no soap or bleach, double rinse, then toss them in the dryer. Works great.
i don't bleach either, just hot water washing machine and air dry.

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home-T.Jefferson

Current Tank Info: 125g & 29g
detroit_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/29/2011, 07:27 PM   #22
Joe
Registered Member

I use Chlorox, but I soak my socks in a five gallon bucket, after hosing them off inside out. For those of us that have septic systems, bleach down the drain isn't a smart choice. I would never use a washing machine, for that reason.

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon Oceanic Tech Tank, Two MP40W Gen 2 Vortechs, H & S A-150-F2001 External Skimmer, Oceanic Model 3 Sump, Current Outer Orbit Pro 250 Watt MH/T5 Combo
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2011, 04:19 PM   #23
yellowbellied
Registered Member

Where can I get some of the "mesh" socks that you guys are mentioning here?

yellowbellied is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/30/2011, 05:06 PM   #24
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbellied View Post
Where can I get some of the "mesh" socks that you guys are mentioning here?
Tbaquatics sells 100 micron mesh and brs sells 200 micron mesh. I'm sure there are other places you can get them.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2011, 05:24 AM   #25
hilde123
Registered Member

Not to revive an old post, but, I got a set of mesh socks about a month ago and couldnt be any happier. They are super easy to clean with a garden hose and my ORP has gone up significantly since replacing my old felt socks with them which tells me I have less DOCs than I had before. Just my 2 cents.

hilde123 is offline   Reply With Quote