Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2017, 08:45 AM   #2551
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Hey Matt, I love the pink looking coral also. It looks really similar to this acro that my LFS has called a "princess peach". Corallites might look different but color looks really the same.Take a look at their second image of it. http://topshelfaquatics.com/product/coral-sps-9/

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 10:08 AM   #2552
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
I am feeling super jealous now Matt.
In true Canadian fashion, I apologize, Bulent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
Hey Matt, I love the pink looking coral also. It looks really similar to this acro that my LFS has called a "princess peach". Corallites might look different but color looks really the same.Take a look at their second image of it. http://topshelfaquatics.com/product/coral-sps-9/
In terms of colour, definitely looks very similar to the one Bulent mentioned- the supposed red planet.. structure is different as your mentioned..
But that colour combo- red polyps and corralites on green background is fairly common, imo..
That piece can also be seen middle right in this shot:

A little wider..

Here's my last top down. Also in the middle but lower down..

Some fts shots to follow..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 10:50 AM   #2553
FloformAustria
Registered Member

i think i just came....

man your colors... donīt wanna look in here anymore....

just kidding, can't without ^^

keep those sexy pictures coming!!

Cheers

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 11:40 AM   #2554
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
i think i just came....

man your colors... donīt wanna look in here anymore....

just kidding, can't without ^^

keep those sexy pictures coming!!

Cheers
Whoa! Keep your cool couch surfing to yourself!! This is a family show!!

Left side:

Right side:

Fts:

But I also like this angle..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 08/22/2017, 12:09 PM   #2555
FloformAustria
Registered Member

^Austrian Reef Club^

"Founding Member of CCC - The cool couch club of SPS keeping" - Biggles

Current Tank Info: The Austrian Dropoff Tank
FloformAustria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 12:14 PM   #2556
Pife
Registered Member

Wow. Great angles. I would love to see your tank i person.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 01:58 PM   #2557
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloformAustria View Post
😘
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Wow. Great angles. I would love to see your tank i person.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Brandon, you're welcome any time!

Unread 08/22/2017, 04:46 PM   #2558
Alex Costa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Very nice Matt.....the reef is looking pretty good!!!!

What about those anthias? What can you tell me about it?
I've been thinking about get some to put with my 2 lyretails....

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month

Current Tank Info: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2596707
Alex Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 04:46 PM   #2559
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Phooaaarrr talk about being packed to the rafters though looks absolutely sublime Matt

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2017, 08:24 PM   #2560
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Phooaaarrr talk about being packed to the rafters though looks absolutely sublime Matt
Oh yeah! Packed to the rafters, for sure. Tough to find space for new corals but I think I'm about the remove my ssc colonies.. I'm getting bored of them and I need space!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Costa View Post
Very nice Matt.....the reef is looking pretty good!!!!

What about those anthias? What can you tell me about it?
I've been thinking about get some to put with my 2 lyretails....
Hey Alex, thanks!

Evansi anthias are not easy to acclimate. I started out with about 18. They were very picky eaters at first. They would only eat very small shrimp type foods like calanus and baby brine.. most of them starved. About 8 began to eat mysis and spirulina brine and did very well. Over the past years or two, a couple more have just died. These remaining 5 are pretty healthy and as long as they get at least two feedings a day, they are great. I can now feed them pellets and flakes which they eat no problem..
They are extremely tolerant of other anthias as well.
I'm not sure I would recommend them unless you have every type of 'live replacement' type food, a great nutrient export system and patience. But once/of you get past the difficult part, they become quite hearty.

Unread 08/23/2017, 01:42 PM   #2561
Sam2832
Registered Member

Nice reef you got there! Do you get most of your frags from fragbox?

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 02:09 PM   #2562
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Sam, thanks!
I'd say I get most of my frags from Raging reef. But I also get many from Reefsolution and also many from Fragbox.

Unread 08/23/2017, 03:05 PM   #2563
rovster
Registered Member

Beautiful! That's a lot of sticks! I've had luck with evansis with homemade food just ground really well so there are plenty of small bits and pieces they can go after. I maintained 3 of 4 for a year and a half and unfortunately a combination of aggression from a new fish and disease wiped them out. I tried some more that I got eating in QT but never made it to the display. I love them

Current Tank Info: Tank killed by Hurricane Irma...once dust settles restart to come...
rovster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 04:11 PM   #2564
Sam2832
Registered Member

Ok thanks for the info,been some years since i've visited reef solutions.
No problems with your electricity yesterday?

Sam2832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 05:55 PM   #2565
Alex Costa
Registered Member

Thanks Matt.
Maybe bartllets are a better choice to me so..........

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/153-tank-of-the-month

Current Tank Info: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2596707
Alex Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2017, 07:16 PM   #2566
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovster View Post
Beautiful! That's a lot of sticks! I've had luck with evansis with homemade food just ground really well so there are plenty of small bits and pieces they can go after. I maintained 3 of 4 for a year and a half and unfortunately a combination of aggression from a new fish and disease wiped them out. I tried some more that I got eating in QT but never made it to the display. I love them
Thanks. Yes the tank is getting packed. And I still have so many small frags.. oh well..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam2832 View Post
Ok thanks for the info,been some years since i've visited reef solutions.
No problems with your electricity yesterday?
No Problem! Stephane often has some nice stuff.
We were spared the worst of the storm. But about 2 km away a microburst did major damage to trees, a park, homes and cars. I heard that a whole new section of mtl west is in the dark, today..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Costa View Post
Thanks Matt.
Maybe bartllets are a better choice to me so..........
Yes! The Bartlett 's look very similar and are waaaay more hardy.

Unread 08/23/2017, 07:36 PM   #2567
Pife
Registered Member

Quote:

Brandon, you're welcome any time!

You never know, I'm in need of a vacation.

What is your favorite fish in your tank?

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 09:13 AM   #2568
reefmutt
Registered Member

Brandon, Montreal is a fantastic city to visit - despite the traffic gridlocking construction on every major artery in the city.
You let me know. My reef is open
I have to say that recently, my interest in fish is on the low side. I haven't added any fish in probably a year because I am so afraid of a while out (I have had two with this tank) and not wanting to raise my nutrients.
I really don't pay much attention to my fish other than to feed them..
Having said that, I do love my anthias because of their activity and movement in the open spaces.
I love my wrasses- melanurus and leopards because of their colours and race car like actions through the rocks.
I love my Bellus angels just because they are so nice.
I love the reclusiveness and pleasant surprise of seeing my golden dwarf angel- despite his polyp picking habits..
I've always loved my blue streak cardinals because of their calm and quiet ability to just hang in a bunch in mid water as the water moves around them, changing directions in unison as the flow changes..
I do like the big splash of 'in your face' that my pyramid butterfly gives..
I also quite enjoy my springeri damsels. I have a big female and two males that keep her happy and laying eggs all the time.
I really love the colour combo of purple and yellow tangs together as well!
And the jerky intense colours of my purple firedish.
My clownfish? Well they are ok and so is my kole tang..
my orange spot goby is always interesting to watch build his massive home and constantly clean my sand..
sorry.. I don't really have a favorite.

Unread 08/24/2017, 09:18 AM   #2569
codydemmel4
Registered Member

everything is looking great Matt.

How much are you feeding to your fish everyday and are you running gfo at all? I have some algae issues now, hair and turf algae.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Link to my tank: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2618245
codydemmel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2017, 09:46 AM   #2570
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Cody. Thanks.
I'm feeding the fish a heavy pinch of a mix of flake and pellet foods which is enough to fill the water column with floating bits for a couple minutes.
I also feed a mix of 5 frozen cube of mysis, spirulina brine and other seafood mix cubes.
At light out, I add a pinch of reefroids and Fauna Marin's reef Vitality. In a 50/50 mix
I also have a yellow tang in my frag tank who gets a couple tiny flake pinchs a day- we're talking a few flakes each feeding.
I have also recently started adding a pinch of Fauna Marin's new Coral Sprint.. it is the most interestingly smelling marine food I have ever layed my nostrils on!!
My p has been steady at around .14-.17. I have not been using gfo for a year. Last week. As an experiment, I added a little box of Fauna's power phos .04. Enough for a 250g system. It dropped my p only by at most .02.. not a huge change..
I am debating going back to gfo or LC..
My cheato, which grows like a monster has pulled n done from ~50 to ~ 5. It had little effect on p, however..
As for algae in my system, besides a bit of bubble and bryopsis, all other types of algea seem to have completely ceased to grow.. well my front glass could use a whipe every 3 days or so..

Unread 08/24/2017, 09:52 AM   #2571
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Cody. Thanks.
I'm feeding the fish a heavy pinch of a mix of flake and pellet foods which is enough to fill the water column with floating bits for a couple minutes.
I also feed a mix of 5 frozen cube of mysis, spirulina brine and other seafood mix cubes.
At light out, I add a pinch of reefroids and Fauna Marin's reef Vitality. In a 50/50 mix
I also have a yellow tang in my frag tank who gets a couple tiny flake pinchs a day- we're talking a few flakes each feeding.
I have also recently started adding a pinch of Fauna Marin's new Coral Sprint.. it is the most interestingly smelling marine food I have ever layed my nostrils on!!
My p has been steady at around .14-.17. I have not been using gfo for a year. Last week. As an experiment, I added a little box of Fauna's power phos .04. Enough for a 250g system. It dropped my p only by at most .02.. not a huge change..
I am debating going back to gfo or LC..
My cheato, which grows like a monster has pulled n done from ~50 to ~ 5. It had little effect on p, however..
As for algae in my system, besides a bit of bubble and bryopsis, all other types of algea seem to have completely ceased to grow.. well my front glass could use a whipe every 3 days or so..

Thats great. I was feeding my fish something similar but with the algae I have now (hair and turf) obviously my tank cannot keep up. It makes sense yours can since you have very large colonies and I am sure they help with that.

What is your CUC? Mine is pretty non exisiting with maybe 5 snails and 2 hermits. I would love to keep feeding a lot but also have more nutrient export as I feel the corals would like this strategy more then try to starve out the algae.

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 08/24/2017, 10:32 AM   #2572
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydemmel4 View Post
Thats great. I was feeding my fish something similar but with the algae I have now (hair and turf) obviously my tank cannot keep up. It makes sense yours can since you have very large colonies and I am sure they help with that.

What is your CUC? Mine is pretty non exisiting with maybe 5 snails and 2 hermits. I would love to keep feeding a lot but also have more nutrient export as I feel the corals would like this strategy more then try to starve out the algae.
Agreed.
Besides the yellow, purple, and kole tangs, I have many hermit crabs (scarlet) and countless snails. I have probably added close to 200 snails over time.
Whenever I see the beginnings of hair and turf, I pull a 'shock and awe' move and add an army of snails and scarlet hermits..
Don't forget my cheato as well, I'm sure it's doing a lot to combat nuisance algae.
I'm not sure where your nutrients are but if they aren't out of control high, I would keep feeding the same but add an army of algea crazing animals. They will help convert that algea into nutrients for the corals as well as clean things up..

Unread 08/24/2017, 12:50 PM   #2573
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
Agreed.
Besides the yellow, purple, and kole tangs, I have many hermit crabs (scarlet) and countless snails. I have probably added close to 200 snails over time.
Whenever I see the beginnings of hair and turf, I pull a 'shock and awe' move and add an army of snails and scarlet hermits..
Don't forget my cheato as well, I'm sure it's doing a lot to combat nuisance algae.
I'm not sure where your nutrients are but if they aren't out of control high, I would keep feeding the same but add an army of algea crazing animals. They will help convert that algea into nutrients for the corals as well as clean things up..
nutrients dont show up high at all but obviously the algae is uptaking some of that.

p04 is between 0.04-0.08 on hanna ulr and nitrate is between 4-8 on red sea. my cheato grows an insane amount too.

What snails do you recommend? Also what about blue legged hermits? I dont have any scarlet by me and dont feel like paying overnight for hermit crabs haha

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.

Unread 08/24/2017, 01:54 PM   #2574
reefmutt
Registered Member

Nice numbers!
I have always been a fan of scarlet hermits because of how recognizable they are. When you buy them, there is a better change of getting what you ordered. Blue legs are fine, you just have to keep an eye on them as they grow because here's a good chance one or two of them are not blue legs and will grow up to be marauding monsters..
Snails.. I've always been a fan of astreas because they stay smaller and don't push thing around as much but turbos will get the job done the quickest.
An urchin can also put a good dent in algea very quickly..
Another decent snail is the black bodied one that can right itself when it falls off- I forget the name. They are also hearty and good cleaners that don't get monstrous.
To really control the problem, you can't just get a few and hope for the best.
For your sizzle tank, I'd probably get about 50 snails and 30 hermits.

Unread 08/24/2017, 02:32 PM   #2575
codydemmel4
Registered Member

Quote:
Nice numbers!
I have always been a fan of scarlet hermits because of how recognizable they are. When you buy them, there is a better change of getting what you ordered. Blue legs are fine, you just have to keep an eye on them as they grow because here's a good chance one or two of them are not blue legs and will grow up to be marauding monsters..
Snails.. I've always been a fan of astreas because they stay smaller and don't push thing around as much but turbos will get the job done the quickest.
An urchin can also put a good dent in algea very quickly..
Another decent snail is the black bodied one that can right itself when it falls off- I forget the name. They are also hearty and good cleaners that don't get monstrous.
To really control the problem, you can't just get a few and hope for the best.
For your sizzle tank, I'd probably get about 50 snails and 30 hermits.
I appreciate the insight, i think you are talking about trochus snails? I was going to get a good amount of them. I also want to get some nassarius snails (i know they wont help with this) but I want a clean looking sand bed haha or should I say cleaner looking

SPS Dominant 180 gallon.