Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/10/2017, 10:15 PM   #301
Roggio
Registered Member

Great build! I'm definitely subscribing. I have a 600 gallon system but I'm not fortunate enough to have a basement or an adjoining garage wall so all my filtration is under my system. I'm envious! What's your experience with the pond matrix? Does it help with nitrates? A 40% water change has little effect on mine.

Roggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/12/2017, 08:42 PM   #302
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Thanks!

I actually have very little experience with pond matrix. I have heard good things about it and decided to start using it for certain things. I typically have filter sponge in my sump to use for quick QT setups and whatnot but am starting to like the matrix. Seems to be working rather well!

In regards to its nitrate reducing capabilities I believe in time it will as it has room for anaerobic bacteria to convert nitrates into nitrogen gas. That said I am not sure how much it would process...

A 40% WC should drop your nitrates by 40% since it is simply a part of water chemistry. Have you ran tests on the makeup water? Is it nitrate free?

Also, what are your phosphates? I ask this because I have been running bioballs for many years with great success. They will aid your skimmers ability to remove both nitrates and phosphates. I feel they are safer than dosing. I just don't trust most doser pumps on the market.

What skimmer are you running and how is it functioning? IME this is the first place to address when dealing with high nitrates. Flow is also an important aspect. I love the Vortechs because the dislodge all kinds of crap on the rock and allow it to get into the filtration.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2017, 11:03 AM   #303
Roggio
Registered Member

I actually have very little experience with pond matrix. I have heard good things about it and decided to start using it for certain things. I typically have filter sponge in my sump to use for quick QT setups and whatnot but am starting to like the matrix. Seems to be working rather well!

In regards to its nitrate reducing capabilities I believe in time it will as it has room for anaerobic bacteria to convert nitrates into nitrogen gas. That said I am not sure how much it would process...

I'm actually setting up a Pond Matrix experiment today. I'm going to add 20L to a 150 gallon tank that has sat dormant (cycling) for awhile. It has 0 Ammonia, 0 Phosphates and off the charts 50+ nitrates. The water just has two MP40's pushing the water around and two small clowns. What do you think? It's temping to add a carbon source but I would really like to see if the Matrix does what so many people have claimed. After Ryans post from BRS I guess Marinepure is out.

A 40% WC should drop your nitrates by 40% since it is simply a part of water chemistry. Have you ran tests on the makeup water? Is it nitrate free?

Yes! that's a good call and one of the first thing's I tested after struggling with them for so long. After a 40% water change my nitrates barely dropped. I even sucked up any detritus in the sump and did a full cleaning.

Also, what are your phosphates? I ask this because I have been running bioballs for many years with great success. They will aid your skimmers ability to remove both nitrates and phosphates. I feel they are safer than dosing. I just don't trust most doser pumps on the market.

My Nitrite is fluctuating from 0-.2 on a Red Sea test kit. Maybe when my Phos bottoms out it's putting the nitrates on hold? Waiittttt really? I have constantly heard that bio balls are a big no in this hobby? that they are "nitrate factories."
I do have a area where my returns go before they flow over into my filter socks. I have been thinking about putting a media there for while. The only thing I worry about is detritus build up and the high amount of bubbles in there.

I'm currently running two DoS. It's hard to trust anything Neptune makes in my opinion but they have a monopoly on the controller market. Their customer service couldnt be worse. It almost makes me want to start a GoFundMe for Echotech to make a controller.

What skimmer are you running and how is it functioning? IME this is the first place to address when dealing with high nitrates. Flow is also an important aspect. I love the Vortechs because the dislodge all kinds of crap on the rock and allow it to get into the filtration.

I'm running the SRO 5000 and honestly, I dont know how I feel about it. I have it completely tuned in and it still pulls out what looks like dark tea. When I cycled my tank it seemed to work well http://imgur.com/Bk3cUKE

I have had the skimmer for years and I have always had nitrate problems. Right now after dosing vodka for a month, using a gallon of marinepure, a marinepure block, 4L of matrix, the skimmer, a 60 gallon refugium and dosing Zeostart my nitrates are finally down to .05

In the 250 with rock work built around flow I have an MP40, and an MP60. I plan on adding some other type of powerhead behind the two major structures (an MP40 wont fit and I want to attach them to the overflow). IMO Tunze has always been a garbage product. There's just not a lot of options. I'm even considering the Jebao SW series. Any ideas?

Here's a pic of the 250 taken today http://imgur.com/hxfdn6E

I read where you're getting Ecotechs return pump. How's that going? I'm a strong supporter of theirs but I have been looking into Reef Octopus line.

Also, thank you so much for your help! Whenever I see you chiming into threads I'm reading I always appreciate the input.

Unread 06/13/2017, 06:50 PM   #304
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Oops! I meant Bio Pellets, not bioballs . These long days in the heat have me a little worn out.

I think a test would be fine but one thing to remember is the bacteria colony will match the livestock unless you feed it so a 150gal tank wit h rwo little clowns will have a small bacteria population. It would probably take a good while for the right bacteria to develop and then a long time to process nitrates.

It's very uncommon to have nitrites in a running and cycled system. I suspect the test kit is giving bad results. If anothe ket shows positive I'd certainly give it some consideration.

How often and how are you cleaning filter socks?

Nitrates at .05? Thats very low so I doubt you would be seeing any changes during a wc. In regards to pumps. I prefer to stick with ecotech anywhere I can. I haven't used another brand for many years. I'd likely steer clear of jebao though.

I haven't hooked the vectra up yet but will hopefully get to it next month as I transition over to the new system. I'm excited about it though!

You're very welcome. Glad to help when I can!

Unread 06/13/2017, 08:03 PM   #305
Roggio
Registered Member

Oops! I meant Bio Pellets,

What brand are you using? I still have the reactor.

I think a test would be fine but one thing to remember is the bacteria colony will match the livestock unless you feed it so a 150gal tank wit h rwo little clowns will have a small bacteria population. It would probably take a good while for the right bacteria to develop and then a long time to process nitrates.

Here's a link to the test I started tonight. I would love some input on what I have so far. it seems to be gaining a lot more traction on clay-boa.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...7#post25115937

It's very uncommon to have nitrites in a running and cycled system. I suspect the test kit is giving bad results. If anothe ket shows positive I'd certainly give it some consideration.

Hmm Good call! My nitrates were at about 50 and were still around 30 after the water change. They went right back up to 50 within a few days. I have also stopped feeding pellet food.

How often and how are you cleaning filter socks?

Right now, I have been cleaning them every 2-4 days. I have four seven inch socks on this system. I can tell things are running much cleaner. My socks used to fill within 3 days on my old setup.

Nitrates at .05? Thats very low so I doubt you would be seeing any changes during a wc. In regards to pumps. I prefer to stick with ecotech anywhere I can. I haven't used another brand for many years. I'd likely steer clear of jebao though.

Yeah, after doing some more reading they fail and slow down. The warranty is only 30 days and there's probably a good reason for that. I need to find something that will fit against the wall.

Unread 06/25/2017, 04:37 PM   #306
balz3352
Registered Member

Any update?

balz3352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 07:20 PM   #307
tkeracer619
Registered Member

I bought a new Ranco Temp Controller... The one I am using is like 8 years old. My work has me working almost double time this month. I'm just doing my best to keep up with maintenance on the current tanks.

I think the tank is ready for livestock transfer. Hoping to start moving stuff over on the 7th with aquascaping and livestock on the 8th! Getting close!

Unread 06/25/2017, 07:21 PM   #308
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeracer619 View Post
I bought a new Ranco Temp Controller... The one I am using is like 8 years old. My work has me working almost double time this month. I'm just doing my best to keep up with maintenance on the current tanks.

I think the tank is ready for livestock transfer. Hoping to start moving stuff over on the 7th with aquascaping and livestock on the 8th! Getting close!

Sign me up sir! I'll help as much as I can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 06/25/2017, 07:23 PM   #309
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueTang View Post
Sign me up sir! I'll help as much as I can!

Are you staring at the monitor in hopes of an update?

Thanks, the help will be appreciated! Bring a swimsuit

Unread 06/25/2017, 07:47 PM   #310
reefzone123
Registered Member

wow, beautiful setup.

reefzone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 11:56 PM   #311
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefzone123 View Post
wow, beautiful setup.
Thank you!

Unread 06/26/2017, 09:33 AM   #312
BigBlueTang
Registered Member

Quote:
Are you staring at the monitor in hopes of an update?

Thanks, the help will be appreciated! Bring a swimsuit

Pretty much. It's all I do nowadays.
Should I bring my fins too?

Unread 06/29/2017, 10:51 AM   #313
NeverlosT
A bit fishy

I used these cheap amazon float switches, they do foul easily and fail from time to time. I have a lot of redundancy so I have been in good shape, and replacing them is pretty easy. These could be the ones that cause the bad reputation?

Masterflex on the ATO is a great idea, that is a good reminder too, it has been 2-3 months, I need to swap out the tubing on my CARX effluent masterflex pump!

Keep up the great work! I have QT tank envy!

NeverlosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2017, 11:51 AM   #314
michael.lemke
Registered Member

Following along. Also in Colorado. I'm in Greeley just north of you. Great to know we have this caliber tank here. The local forum seems to be all newbies and very slow!

michael.lemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2017, 12:24 AM   #315
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlosT View Post
Masterflex on the ATO is a great idea, that is a good reminder too, it has been 2-3 months, I need to swap out the tubing on my CARX effluent masterflex pump!

Keep up the great work! I have QT tank envy!
Maybe, I always go for the low voltage option and never have had a single issue. Always have fail safes though! The masterflex on the ATO is key for a slow and durable top off. They aren't the quietest pumps but they are reliable as heck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.lemke View Post
Following along. Also in Colorado. I'm in Greeley just north of you. Great to know we have this caliber tank here. The local forum seems to be all newbies and very slow!

Welcome aboard! There are plenty Colorado reefers with stellar setups but the local club scene has lost the interest of a lot of them. 10 years ago it seemed a lot different. I'm hoping to host a club meeting from time to time once the tank starts to fill in. Of course local reefers are welcome to come check out the setup any time!

Unread 07/08/2017, 12:49 AM   #316
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Who would have thought that a Big Blue Tang was good at aquascaping?

This is the weekend. There is no more time to waste! I've been gone for almost a month and a half for work so while little progress was made I had plenty of time to think about all of it.

As soon as I got home on wed I brought a large vertex media reactor full of carbon online. I typically use BRS granular lignate.

Last night I was up until 2am trying to prep the tank for the livestock transfer. The tested numbers were all over the place... I did a 120gal water change and dosed alk.

1.022 SG
4.5 dKh
650 Ca
1020 Mg
10 NO3

Today Atul (BigBlueTang) came over and helped me get started on aquascaping. He volunteered to go for a swim and we got to work, thanks dude!

I would hate to spoil the results by posting too many details so here a teaser

Afterwards I threw in two 100micron filter bags, kicked the sump back on, and did a 180gal water change. The tank has cleared up, I moved a few rocks around, and did some testing.

Now the tank is much much better...
1.024 sg
7.3 dKh
560 Ca
1230 Mg

Atul is coming back over tomorrow morning for more aquascaping. We're going to transfer the fish over in the evening after the water has cleared up and it's dark outside. Hopefully I can avoid some aggression by tossing them all in at the same time and blacking out the room they are in.

Unread 07/08/2017, 04:08 AM   #317
balz3352
Registered Member

Quote:
Of course local reefers are welcome to come check out the setup any time!

Shoot gonna have to take you up on that offer! Im wondering if you're Kris' local friend. I spent some time over at his place before I set up my tank and he said he modeled his after another local reefer who has stupidly big setups. I think he mentioned your screen name also.

Last edited by balz3352; 07/08/2017 at 04:17 AM.
balz3352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2017, 10:00 AM   #318
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Yup, he may be coming over tonight to help transfer fish

Unread 07/08/2017, 06:09 PM   #319
michael.lemke
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balz3352 View Post
Shoot gonna have to take you up on that offer! Im wondering if you're Kris' local friend. I spent some time over at his place before I set up my tank and he said he modeled his after another local reefer who has stupidly big setups. I think he mentioned your screen name also.

Dude, we should go at the same time! I'm Dr.disilicate on MASC

michael.lemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2017, 12:00 AM   #320
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Finally, We Have a Fish Tank!

Atul and I started work today around noon. It ended up being a full day!

Yesterday we were able to get the foundation rocks in place. Everything is secure and stable so this afternoon we worked on building out the structures. I don't think we took any pics from the sides but took care that the structures would look good from all angles. There are a ton of spots for fish to hide and swim through.

We held to the two island scheme. There is a lot of space on all sides of the structures that will allow for large SPS corals. We moved some temporary lighting in place until I can get the actual light rack built.

Once the sun started to get low in the sky we started the transfer. First up was the Copperband Butterflyfish, Coral Beauty Angelfish, and Potters Angelfish from QT.

First Fish Are In!!

The rest of the fish made there way in over the next hour except for a MIA Lyretail Anthias. Hopefully I can find her tomorrow and get her into the 600gal.

More pics to come!

Unread 07/09/2017, 09:26 AM   #321
whyamisofly
Registered Member

Looks Great Mark!!!!!

Current Tank Info: 93g Cube
whyamisofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2017, 06:57 PM   #322
SPS_77493
Registered Member

Looking great!

What kind of spot light is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SPS_77493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2017, 12:10 AM   #323
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyamisofly View Post
Looks Great Mark!!!!!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS_77493 View Post
Looking great!

What kind of spot light is that?
Thanks What spotlight are you referring to? The temporary lighting are two DIY Lumenarc reflectors with 250w radiums and m80 ballasts supplemented bytwo 3 foot t5 ATI blue plus. There are some overhead lights in the room that kind of look like spotlights but they are just led/halogen style ceiling lights.

Unread 07/10/2017, 12:18 AM   #324
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Found the MIA anthias, she's hiding in a rock in the 360gal. I should be able to get her out tomorrow evening as I was over the course of the day able to isolate her down to one rock. I'll just move that rock over if I can't get her out...

A few more pics...

From the right side.

From the left side.

Unread 07/10/2017, 09:36 AM   #325
BZOFIQ
Registered Member

Quote:

Last evening I threw a set of 1 micron bags on the 600gal. This evening they had done their job!
Where did you get 1 micron bags??? Cant seem to find these.

BZOFIQ is offline   Reply With Quote