Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:54 PM   #1
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Sump and skimmer opinions

I need some opinions on my sump and skimmer choices. Display tank will be a 75g sps dominated reef with a medium fish bioload. First off I need to pick a skimmer. My choices are RO NW150, BM Curve 5 or Curve A5. The SCA 302 is an option too, I used it before on my last 75g tank and it did well but the price has gone up on them and for the price I can get better quality. Any help on what would be the best choice or personal experiece with these would help me make a choice.
Next is a sump. I have an Aqueon Proflex Model 3 sump. I have some issues with it but there are things I like. First I have it already so no need for a new sump, holds 2 filter socks and seems well made. I dont like that its center section is on the smaller side limiting equipment options, last set of baffles is space pretty far apart taking up needed space and the return section is larger that I would like by about 2 inches. I know I can deal with the downs and make it work for me but I would like at least a small algae fuge and if I run that sump in fuge mode my skimmer would be in the return section which would have have about 2"of water level changes due to evaporation, i will have an ato. Or I run it berline style and loose the fuge. Option 2 is I make my own sump with an aquairum. I used a 20l on the old 75g and it worked well and was simple, I could have more flexablitly on the sump setup if I diy one. However I would need to spend more $ on a diy sump.
Sorry that was long just wanted to get all the info out of my head and share my thoughts on this. Any help, experience and thoughts are welcome.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote