Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/16/2018, 09:50 PM   #1
artful13dodger
Registered Member

Advice on new build

Greetings,

I am getting back in after about 5 years, a move across the county, a wedding and two kids. Busy five years. Previously had a 120 mixed reef w/ two 400w metal halides and actinic T5s.

Now that life has settled a bit, ready to set up again and wanting to take advantage of some Black Friday sales. I'll end up telling the kids this is for Christmas. My wife knows better.

Here is the plan, happy to hear any recommendations or alternatives, or bad experiences with the choices.

75G Innovative Marine tank and stand (internal, to get closer to wall)
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/nuvo-...ve-marine.html

Maxspect Razor X R5 150w
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/razor...-maxspect.html

Trigger Ruby 30 sump
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ruby-...r-systems.html

Skimz Kone SK181 skimmer
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz...n-skimmer.html

Tunze 6095 (x2) - very loyal to Tunze, these seem to be correct size
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze...trollable.html

I haven't included a few items that I already decided on based on my prior experience (BRS 5-stage RO/DI system, Eheim 1260 return pump), or items that will come a few months later after the wallet returns to normal (ATO system)

Goal is a mixed reef. SPS will probably be limited to certain areas based on the light, but I do want to develop it there. LPS will probably be most dominant.

Planning to stock:
Clean up various snails and hermits (no other crabs)
Blood fire shrimp x2
Ocellaris clown x2
Red Mandarin
Melanarus wrasse
Gold head goby
Fathead anthia
Blackcap basslet
Flame angel

Opinions, suggestions, constructive criticism always appreciated. Everything I didn't learn through trial and error I learned on here several years ago.

artful13dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 12:42 AM   #2
fishresponse
Registered Member

Sounds like a good setup plan. Can I ask why you’re choosing the maxspect light?

Also, what are you planning for rock? Asking because the rock scene has changed quite a bit since you were last in the game. Tampa bay rock is good stuff or you could go with life rock but won’t have the diversity.

265g w/ 20" synergy overflow box
Hamilton Cebu MH/T5 fixture w/ 250w Radium bulbs
SPS/LPS mix | 30g (long) refugium with cheato | 40g sump
fishresponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2018, 06:12 AM   #3
artful13dodger
Registered Member

You're correct on the rock - seems to have changed a lot. BRS no longer sells Pukani and it seems most (all?) South Pacific rock is unavailable.

Was looking at the Tampa Bay, concerned about the critters.

Found this while researching and appears to be good with unbeatable price. I will probably start with one box (40 lbs each) to make sure I like before buying a second. https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Ocean...words=dry+rock

I am thinking of curing the dry rock in tank, with maybe one piece Tampa in the sump to seed remotely just in case of bad hitchikers. Would this work? I would need to black-out the tank for algae I think.

For the Maxspect, I have more questions on the lighting than anything else. I want to go LED for heat and efficiency reasons. The Maxspect appears to get good reviews for the price range I am comfortable with. Zetlight also similarly priced, but I'm not familiar with the brand. Reefbreeders was also a contender.

Unread 11/19/2018, 11:51 PM   #4
fishresponse
Registered Member

Check out @d2mini’s tank on here. He has started many tanks with Tampa bay rock. I don’t think he’s had any “bad” hitchhikers, yes you could go with a smaller rock package but not sure of the smallest allotment you could get.

I’m sure you could be successful with maxsoect. My beef has been lack of spread with LEDs compared to what you get with MH. Sure you can supplement with T5s or get more units to fill in the shadowing but then you’re spending more than you wanted. Do what you feel good about. I was liking the efficiency LEDs offered but then the spread was an issue for me as well as the shadowing. There’s a ton of people using LEDs and a lot who are moving back to T5 and/or MH. I’ve never had issues with the heat from T5s or MH, but rather the fan noise from having to cool the bulbs. My tank is in the basement so it doesn’t really become an issue for the family.

Unread 11/20/2018, 09:49 AM   #5
artful13dodger
Registered Member

I am really wanting to go LED, but maybe should bump up to the 200W / 4-cluster Maxspect Razor instead of the 150W / 3-cluster.

Would this be overkill?

Unread 11/20/2018, 03:00 PM   #6
artful13dodger
Registered Member

Scrapping the skimmer and sump for now. Will build my own sump, I like the customization. Will add skimmer in about six months after curing dry rock and cycling, once livestock starts getting in.

Unread 11/21/2018, 12:26 AM   #7
fishresponse
Registered Member

I don’t think that’s overkill for the 4 cluster. 40g breeders are great for sumps. I thought I saw pre made sump kits somewhere online where you just have to silicone it in. Might be worth looking into.

Unread 11/22/2018, 12:37 PM   #8
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

You mentioned a mandarin, a wrasse and blood shrimp.
You need a fully mature lots of rock tank for the mandarin since he will likely only eat Copepods.
The wrasse may eliminate the shrimps. May outcompete the mandarin for food.
Mixing SPS and LPS can be quite challenging due to the difference in environment.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2018, 05:25 PM   #9
artful13dodger
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
You mentioned a mandarin, a wrasse and blood shrimp.
You need a fully mature lots of rock tank for the mandarin since he will likely only eat Copepods.
The wrasse may eliminate the shrimps. May outcompete the mandarin for food.
Mixing SPS and LPS can be quite challenging due to the difference in environment.
Thanks. Good info. Kept mandarin previously and intending it will be last addition so pods can populate first. Was not aware of the wrasse competition issue. Will probably have to eliminate from the list.

Unread 11/22/2018, 05:29 PM   #10
artful13dodger
Registered Member

Swap for six-line?

Unread 11/24/2018, 06:40 AM   #11
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

If you are open to reconsider, I’ve had great results with a Reefbreeder light. The owner also offers excellent customer service and appears to back the product well.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2018, 09:07 AM   #12
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Many including me would NOT buy a six line for its temperament.

Unread 11/26/2018, 11:47 PM   #13
fishresponse
Registered Member

I agree on the sixline. Pretty fish but there are other great wrasses to choose that aren’t a pain in the butt

Unread 11/28/2018, 02:01 PM   #14
shellsea
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artful13dodger View Post
Scrapping the skimmer and sump for now. Will build my own sump, I like the customization. Will add skimmer in about six months after curing dry rock and cycling, once livestock starts getting in.
Welcome back to the hobby/passion/money-pit!!!
Take a look at Lifereef skimmers. I switched from a R.O. to SVS24 from Jeff at Lifereef. Could not be happier. Very well made product. There is a thread here on RC.