Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/13/2018, 02:19 AM   #1
Chocobo
Registered Member

Bean Overflow - Durso Hole Placement

Hey guys,

I'm planning on building a Bean Animal Overflow and I understand the full siphon and the emergency standpipe but being that I have no experience with any of this I have a question about the Durso part of it.

I was hoping to have a vertical stand pipe and then have two 90 Degree Elbows on the top of it with a hole. Without testing - I'm not sure how important it is for the placement of the hole in the Durso.

I'm not sure if I:
1. Need to center the hole over the vertical portion of the standpipe.
2. Place the hole at the highest point
3. It doesn't matter - so long as there's a hole above the intake point.

I am thinking that I'd want the hole at the highest or to center it over the vertical standpipe and extend it with a little bit of R/O hose.

I could go with a slip tee + a cap + drill a hole to raise it up higher as I see in many of the pictures but it seems like so long as I have a hole and it's above the normal operating level of the system and below the emergency pipe height it should work?

Chocobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2018, 04:18 AM   #2
NanoReefWanabe
A Pico Vase Guy

Ideally you want an air line attached to the durso drain, so that in the unlikely event of blockage in your main drain, water will rise and block the airline thus creating a new siphon drain.. myself would do it with a "T" fitting that is capped, drilled and threaded to accept a John guest 1/4" air line that i would then loop up and back down and zip ties it to the stand pipe just above the operating water level in the overflow box... off the side of the"T" have a down turned elbow...

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2018, 06:38 AM   #3
Chocobo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoReefWanabe View Post
Ideally you want an air line attached to the durso drain, so that in the unlikely event of blockage in your main drain, water will rise and block the airline thus creating a new siphon drain.. myself would do it with a "T" fitting that is capped, drilled and threaded to accept a John guest 1/4" air line that i would then loop up and back down and zip ties it to the stand pipe just above the operating water level in the overflow box... off the side of the"T" have a down turned elbow...
The idea there is that the water rises, blocks the hole, and a full siphon is created. Any reason a hole on the top of the higher stand wouldn’t do the same thing?

I think using the hose just gives finer tuning on when the second stand goes siphon no?

Chocobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2018, 08:16 PM   #4
NanoReefWanabe
A Pico Vase Guy

In order to have just a hole, the stand pipe would have to be low or the water level really low... the air lounge allows the stand pipe to be closer to the wier height, which will allow for less waterfall into the box reducing noise

NanoReefWanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2018, 10:03 PM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I use just a hole bored in the top of the U on my secondary/open channel. As long as the top of the U is a bit below the rim of the emergency it will siphon just fine.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2018, 10:44 PM   #6
Lsufan
Registered Member

From the sounds of it I take it u have a bottom drilled tank. If that is the case then I would go ahead & attach the airline like Nano suggested. To me on a bottom drilled tank u would have to set the open channel standpipe so low that u would have a waterfall entering the overflow box makeing noise. The airline is meant to be just above the emergency & I would set it up this way. It works better with the hieghts & water levels on bottom drilled tanks. On back drilled tanks with interior overflow boxes it can cause startup issues having the hole or airline below the emergency. The only time I might try not to use the airline on the open channel standpipe is on a ghost type overflow box. That is the only type of box that I don’t see a way to have a issue with the hole or airline being below the emergency.

If u just don’t want to use the airline then I suggest placing the standpipe as high as possible to where the hole is actually just above or even with the top of the overflow box. It may work that way & not cause any noise. There are other deciding factors to know for sure if it will work or u will have issues. U could always add the airline later if u do have a issue. It shouldn’t be anything that would cause a flood

Last edited by Lsufan; 02/13/2018 at 11:29 PM.
Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote