Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 02/12/2018, 09:58 PM   #1
irishmarine
Registered Member

How Far Should Tank Be From Wall Behind?

Hi

Getting a new 120G tank for my office. Was wondering how far off the back wall should a tank be without looking too bad? ie I donít want a big gap off the wall itíll look bad

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max 650 (180G), T5 (800w), 2x250 Maxspect Gyre, Refugium
irishmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2018, 10:03 PM   #2
jamie1981
Registered Member

Just enough for plumbing and access to a outlet if it's behind the tank. Hopefully it's a GCFI outlet also.

jamie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2018, 10:06 PM   #3
ReefTankHunter
Registered Member

For me, I like to stay 4" to 6" away.Reason being for wires to be run.. But more importantly, If you have sheet rock wall,the salt creep will eat your wall. I have seen it done.

ReefTankHunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/12/2018, 10:19 PM   #4
Ruu
Registered Member

Because I'm running parallel to the floor joists, one of which is nicely notched, my structural engineer recommended pulling the tank out a little further to sit on the additional support that we added. That put me about a foot out from the wall, and honestly unless you are right at the side of the tank you wouldn't really notice. It is a relatively short wall, with limited viewing opportunities to the sides though, so your mileage may vary.

Dave

Ruu is offline   Reply With Quote