Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/23/2018, 12:22 PM   #1
Shark888
Registered Member

Keep NPS, LPS and SPS

Hello,

Im planning to keep a mix of NPS, LPS and SPS on my 40G tank.

As what I have read and understand its not easy to keep NPS and SPS together right ?

Im planning to use Zeovit system and I would like to read you advises if its can be done this way or not (with zeovit system). At least I would not purchase a lot more NPS and concentrate only with LPS and SPS.

Shark888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 12:46 PM   #2
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Its hard to do in a 40G tank.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 01:07 PM   #3
Shark888
Registered Member

What do you think about the Zeovit system ? It would be possible using it I guess...

Unread 04/23/2018, 01:12 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark888 View Post
What do you think about the Zeovit system ? It would be possible using it I guess...
There is really nothing magic about zeovit.. My experience is its really nothing special.. Just another system that can help "some" but it doesn't make the impossible possible..

IMO it just excels at reducing the amount of money in your pocket vs anything else.. If it was so good we would all be using it..
Its a rather expensive system to buy into..

Unread 04/23/2018, 01:19 PM   #5
Shark888
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
There is really nothing magic about zeovit.. My experience is its really nothing special.. Just another system that can help "some" but it doesn't make the impossible possible..

IMO it just excels at reducing the amount of money in your pocket vs anything else.. If it was so good we would all be using it..
Its a rather expensive system to buy into..
So pumping their Zeolite is just useless, I was counting on it to make my tank water perfect...

Unread 04/23/2018, 02:02 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
So pumping their Zeolite is just useless, I was counting on it to make my tank water perfect...
I never said useless...
Just not "magic" or better stated.. "Don't expect miracles"

Unread 04/23/2018, 02:04 PM   #7
Trigger Tough
Registered Member

In that size tank I would choose one of the 3

Trigger Tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 02:31 PM   #8
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Zeo is not a method to make the water prefect and zeo tanks do not have perfect water. They have very nutrient poor water.

It causes the corals to come to the brink of bleaching. If you can keep them at that state, they look brightly colored due to fluorescent proteins showing up against very pale base color. They generally also have high PE, as they try to catch as much as food possible.

It is also not a method for everyone. It is very demanding in terms of both money, time, knowledge and experience. Keeping corals in the brink of bleaching means they will immediately bleach if something goes slightly wrong. Accidentally dosing more alk or changing light bulbs can cause all the corals to bleach in few days. It also makes introducing new corals extremely hard.

I did zeo for several years before giving up on it because I wasnt able to introduce new corals.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2018, 04:38 PM   #9
devimik
Registered Member

I'm sure you've researched NPS corals too as they are very demanding from a care perspective. They require lots of food because they don't contain zooxanthellae to make their own food from light. Cool corals though, but know what you're getting into before buying. Not sure how keeping NPS and using Zeovit would work together due to the high feeding requirements of NPS. Good luck.

Coral Beauty, Green Filefish, One Spot Foxface, Springeri Dottyback, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Watchman Goby, Flame Hawkfish, Spotted Mandarin

Current Tank Info: 90g Softie Reef, 150# live rock, 30g sump w/refugium, Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO, Octopus NWB 150 Skimmer, Mag 950 return, Maxspect 120w Razor 10K LED light X2, BRS Phosphate Reactor; Apex Lite
devimik is offline   Reply With Quote