Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/30/2021, 08:45 PM   #1751
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm pretty sure it's Gracilaria. It's kind of half way between the regular stuff and the thick 'tree' version. I've tried the tree before but never had luck with it. This stuff does great for me. I'm pretty sure I got it in a red sampler from GCE. Those samplers often have some real unique jewels in them, along with the usual hayi and stuff I'll toss into quarantine tanks.

Oh yeah, you're right about the v1 Hypnea. I'll give that a try. Also hoping the new Iron helps. There is a chance it's not Hypnea at all. It could be brown/black Gracilaria, which looks very similar in this small size.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2021, 08:56 PM   #1752
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Ah, that's a good point about it possibly being Gracilaria. I guess we'll see.

ThePurple12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/30/2021, 10:28 PM   #1753
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Not again! Every time I post pics, it goes to the next page! So I'm quoting myself. Ha ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Thought I'd snap some more pics to show the new adjustments to the patch reef plants.

This has a kind of Secret Garden feel to it. I made a slight adjustment to the Halymenia at bottom right.

Patch reef overview. Lots of room for more plants in front and right side.

Three of the four Galaxaura and some Botriocladia looking nice and red. The fourth Galaxaura is behind the one at top.

Halymenia and Sargassum with growing beige sponge bottom center.

Closer shot of the Galaxaura. Hypnea at bottom right that I wish would color up.

Grasilaria and Sargassum. Since I moved the light closer to them, maybe the Sargassum will grow taller.

Nice variation of red tones. I'm curious how these will change with the change in light.

I hope the Galaxaura like their new location in brighter light.

Okay, this is my favorite of the batch! I love how the cool tones of the live rock bring out the reds.

Unread 01/30/2021, 10:31 PM   #1754
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

ThePurple12, I will plant some of the (possibly) Hypnea in the brighter light, and see what happens.

Unread 01/31/2021, 02:09 PM   #1755
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Last night, as I was about to go to bed I looked into the tank and saw more snails on the new Ulva. Enough! So I grabbed my scissors and cut down a bunch of seagrass blades. If they were close enough to reach the Ulva, they got whacked. I came down this morning and there were no snails on them. Success!

Then I went after Caulerpa stragglers and replanted a piece of Halymenia that had come loose. I noticed several tiny fragments of the Ulva on the sand bed and chose to leave them. Maybe some will survive and grow among the grasses, which would be cool I think.

I dosed more Iron and Ammonia. I may do a few more things with the tank today, depending how I feel. I plan to get my CO2 tank refilled next week, so a cleaning of the the canister filter is in order. I run the CO2 through it, so I need it to be working well. I've been out of CO2 for months, so I'm curious what effect it has on the plants once it resumes.

Unread 01/31/2021, 02:53 PM   #1756
vlangel
Registered Member

I am glad that you caught those pesky snails in the act and WHACK! took care of the ulva that was left. Sometimes an aquarists has to do what an aquarists has to do!

I also like the last pic with the cool blue shadows on the rock contrasting with the red macros.

Genesis 1:20 -

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2021, 03:58 PM   #1757
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Right on, Dawn. I REALLY want the Ulva to make it, so I did what was necessary. And it's not like I did something destructive. It's just kind of nuts the lengths I had to go. A big part of the art of the aquarist is problem solving.

99% of the time, I love those snails. They are very important members of the ecosystem community. Possible the MOST important. I'm still amazed that they can climb the grasses and keep them clean. I dare say no other snail can do that.

I'm glad to hear you liked that last pic. It's always so exciting when I come across a pic that speaks to me. They're pretty rare, which makes it so special.

Unread 02/03/2021, 10:44 AM   #1758
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Michael, I was checking out the plant forum in its early years, back in 2004+. Amazing how many seagrass keepers there were back then compared to now. Someone posted a thread asking about snails for a planted tank, and someone answered with Collumbellid snails, saying they're great seagrass cleaners and will multiply.

I looked up Collumbellid snails because it sounded familiar, and found the common name is dove snail. Here's a picture:Dove snail (Columbellidae)

They look like a mystery snail I see in my tanks at night, and they really sound like your ulva eaters! What do you think?

Unread 02/03/2021, 10:47 AM   #1759
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Here's the thread: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937779

Unread 02/03/2021, 10:56 AM   #1760
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Those could very well be what I have. I've just been using the Mini Strombus name because that's what Indo Pacific Sea Farms calls them. I'm guessing they named them that because of a passing resemblance to Conches.

I noticed that too, that more people were growing seagrasses back in the day. I have read that 'Old Helpful Posts' section several times. Lot's of great stuff in there!

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a read!

Unread 02/03/2021, 11:29 AM   #1761
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Hm, looks like I have something else. Definitely not mini strombus.
[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 02/03/2021, 01:11 PM   #1762
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePurple12 View Post
Michael, I was checking out the plant forum in its early years, back in 2004+. Amazing how many seagrass keepers there were back then compared to now. Someone posted a thread asking about snails for a planted tank, and someone answered with Collumbellid snails, saying they're great seagrass cleaners and will multiply.

I looked up Collumbellid snails because it sounded familiar, and found the common name is dove snail. Here's a picture:Dove snail (Columbellidae)

They look like a mystery snail I see in my tanks at night, and they really sound like your ulva eaters! What do you think?
It sounds like I need to go back into the archives to read and learn more about seagrass and their clean up crews. Thanks for the info and link!

Current Tank Info: A 56 gallon naural nutrient macro reef that flows into a 30 gallon fuge with macros/seagrass that flows into a 20 gallon sump.
Unread 02/03/2021, 01:17 PM   #1763
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
It sounds like I need to go back into the archives to read and learn more about seagrass and their clean up crews. Thanks for the info and link!
Sure! If you haven't read this already, I highly recommend it. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/sl/index.php

Unread 02/03/2021, 01:23 PM   #1764
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Oh yeah, that's a good one. I've read it, but I'll read it again! You never know what's going to jump out at you from rereading stuff. If you keep pointing out articles, you're going to find out that I'm just repeating stuff!

Unread 02/03/2021, 01:29 PM   #1765
ThePurple12
Registered Member

I've read that one at least 4 times by now!

Unread 02/03/2021, 04:45 PM   #1766
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I got my CO2 running again. First I had to clean up my canister filter. What a mess! The thing was filthy. I also received some phytoplankton I had ordered. I haven't added any to the tank yet, but I will today. This should be a boost to filter feeders. I'm hoping to see an uptick in sponge growth. I should go ahead and dose some silicate too.

Other than that, I did a quick Caulerpa straggler export. The Ulva Intestinalis is still hanging in there. It looks like some are getting bigger, some smaller. I haven't found any snails on them since I went scissor-crazy.

Speaking of snails, how about a round of applause for ThePurple12, finding the correct species and common name for my tiny snails! Hip hip Hooray! Henceforth I will refer to them as Collumbellid or Dove snails. Nice work, ThePurple12, on the snail research. Dove sounds very nice, and it's a lot easier to type, so bonus!

What's next? I was thinking it might be a good idea to get my two Quarantine tanks cleaned up and running again. I've been a very good boy and didn't buy a single fish in 2020. It would be nice to get some new fishies! All I have to do is formulate an elaborate plan to make it my look like my wife's idea…

Last edited by Michael Hoaster; 02/03/2021 at 08:09 PM.
Unread 02/03/2021, 07:48 PM   #1767
ThePurple12
Registered Member

Interested to hear what you come up with

Unread 02/03/2021, 08:24 PM   #1768
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks The Purple12! Forming diabolical plan…

I added some phytoplankton and Sodium Silicate. Then I noticed one of my large Limpets had been munching on one of my sponges. Not cool. I may go Limpet hunting. Those things look like they'd be hard to remove. Pliers?

I saw a Tomini Tang at my LFS yesterday. It was gorgeous! Dawn, how do like yours?

Unread 02/03/2021, 11:54 PM   #1769
Apercula
Registered Member

Quote:

I saw a Tomini Tang at my LFS yesterday. It was gorgeous! Dawn, how do like yours?
I had one in my 75g softie reef 10ish years ago, it was a great fish.

Apercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2021, 09:01 AM   #1770
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Apercula, and welcome! I had read that it was on the aggressive side, for a bristletooth tang. How was yours?

Unread 02/04/2021, 01:18 PM   #1771
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks The Purple12! Forming diabolical plan…

I added some phytoplankton and Sodium Silicate. Then I noticed one of my large Limpets had been munching on one of my sponges. Not cool. I may go Limpet hunting. Those things look like they'd be hard to remove. Pliers?

New fishies! Hooray!!! I love my tomini tang. He continually picks at the rocks and sand, I am guessing for filamentous algae. Occasionally he will go for a little caulerpa that has found its way into my display but not as much as I would like, ha ha.

The only fish Tommy, the tomini showed aggression toward was Marmalade, the orange spot blenny. That always surprised me because Marmalade was well established in the tank as the alpha fish before Tommy came. Also I do not know if Tommy's presence in the display contributed to Marmalade getting sick and perishing. I suspect that is the case. I do not know if it was aggression because they were competitors for the same food since they both ate herbivore foods. There was definitely enough greens to go around but try telling that to a greedy fish!

Aside from the Marmalade incident, I have really enjoyed Tommy. He never even harasses any of the other fish. Nor does he go after the other macro algae.

Unread 02/04/2021, 01:29 PM   #1772
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Thanks Dawn. That's good info. I have heard of other tangs and blennies not getting along, and I'm pretty sure it's a food/territory competition thing. That Tommy doesn't go after any other fish or macro algae is very encouraging. Maybe there's a bristletooth tang in my future!

Unread 02/04/2021, 02:37 PM   #1773
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

This morning I removed the Limpet that was devouring the largest sponge on my live rock. He was still there, munching away! He's been parked there for days! This seems strange to me, as most grazers tend to keep moving. The sponge is devastated. So Mr Limpet had to go. I think there are one or two others, so I may have to remove them too.

This falls under the 'ecosystem as a whole is more important than any one member' philosophy. Another example would be my not choosing to add a Sand-sifting Sea Star, because they are carnivorous and consume the sand bed worms that are very important food chain members. In the tight confines of our aquariums, some critters just don't work.

Unread 02/04/2021, 03:44 PM   #1774
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks Dawn. That's good info. I have heard of other tangs and blennies not getting along, and I'm pretty sure it's a food/territory competition thing. That Tommy doesn't go after any other fish or macro algae is very encouraging. Maybe there's a bristletooth tang in my future!
Since Tommy is my first bristletooth tang I can not say for sure that his behaviour is typical but he has worked well in my display. He has fattened up and really turned into a stunning looking fish too. My display needed a fish with a different shape and size to create a focal point fish. He is a good size for my smaller tank too. Your display is so much larger a tomini tang might not make as much of a statement in your tank.

Unread 02/04/2021, 03:58 PM   #1775
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
This morning I removed the Limpet that was devouring the largest sponge on my live rock. He was still there, munching away! He's been parked there for days! This seems strange to me, as most grazers tend to keep moving. The sponge is devastated. So Mr Limpet had to go. I think there are one or two others, so I may have to remove them too.

This falls under the 'ecosystem as a whole is more important than any one member' philosophy. Another example would be my not choosing to add a Sand-sifting Sea Star, because they are carnivorous and consume the sand bed worms that are very important food chain members. In the tight confines of our aquariums, some critters just don't work.
I remember when you were in the initial stages of v2 that you drew very clear parameters for yourself to protect the tenets of your ecosystem. When we have a vision of where we want our aquariums to go in terms of ecosystem, then we have to be true to those parameters that protect that vision. I am sure that that is difficult to do sometimes, like now with limpet removal but you will never fully realize your goal if you give in to opposing creatures. It's all part of being an aquarist.

I kind of understand from keeping the seahorses. When I first set the tank up everything was geared toward catering to their needs. That is definitely when they did the best. Once I began to make even small concessions, the ponies suffered for it. I guess that is why my pendulum has drastically swung the other way to a tank that has much greater flexibility.

I admire your will power to stay true to your original vision.

Tags
ecosystem, food web, macro algae, planted tank, seagrass