Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/30/2016, 09:56 PM   #326
Babydaull
Registered Member

Busy

I have a pretty decent amount of corals at the moment so I'm going to hold off on purchases and have a grow out stage. so I am going to be looking into things to help coral color and coral growth. as always I'm all ears! what has worked for you guys?

Babydaull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2016, 08:05 AM   #327
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I'm trying out Aquaforest products right now. A, B, E, and V are the main ones to get coral coloration. A lot of the SPS guys are trying it out now. I like it because it's one drop of each every other day, after the lights go out at night. Pretty simple. I can't tell whether its psychosomatic or not, but I think I'm finally starting to get more color out of my purple bonsai.

Dunno, that's what I'm working on. I've done prodibio reefkit, and it made a slight difference, and I've done the KZ zeo additives, and it had an impact for a few months, but then the tank returned to normal pretty quickly. Though honestly these are not very clean trials of either product, and as with everything, my tank is in constant fluctuation.

I think the best way to get colors and growth is tank consistency. There are a lot of TOTMs that don't do anything fancy, just frequent water changes, and spot-on parameters, with good light and flow. If you want to mess with the supplements, that's up to you, but I'd make sure you've had 6 months of STABLE parameters and coral health before messing with supplements.

ReefWreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2016, 03:47 PM   #328
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefWreak View Post
I'm trying out Aquaforest products right now. A, B, E, and V are the main ones to get coral coloration. A lot of the SPS guys are trying it out now. I like it because it's one drop of each every other day, after the lights go out at night. Pretty simple. I can't tell whether its psychosomatic or not, but I think I'm finally starting to get more color out of my purple bonsai.

Dunno, that's what I'm working on. I've done prodibio reefkit, and it made a slight difference, and I've done the KZ zeo additives, and it had an impact for a few months, but then the tank returned to normal pretty quickly. Though honestly these are not very clean trials of either product, and as with everything, my tank is in constant fluctuation.

I think the best way to get colors and growth is tank consistency. There are a lot of TOTMs that don't do anything fancy, just frequent water changes, and spot-on parameters, with good light and flow. If you want to mess with the supplements, that's up to you, but I'd make sure you've had 6 months of STABLE parameters and coral health before messing with supplements.
I'll probably aim for stable parameters for six months first
Ken and reefwreak you guys will laugh at this but I am pretty sure I am in the market again for a mp10

Unread 11/03/2016, 03:19 PM   #329
Babydaull
Registered Member

The yellow octospawn died suddenly. sadly

Unread 11/04/2016, 06:57 AM   #330
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydaull View Post
I'll probably aim for stable parameters for six months first
Ken and reefwreak you guys will laugh at this but I am pretty sure I am in the market again for a mp10
Good plan, and I know how it goes. What got me hooked to the MP10 was finding a few good deals for ~$100 on ebay and going for that. Once I got that first pump, even though it was loud and the bearings were bad, it worked, and I was hooked since then. But take it at your own pace.

Quote:
The yellow octospawn died suddenly. sadly
Sorry to hear that. Just overnight, gone? Mine have gone through growth and shrinking stages, but my clowns do keep smothering mine to death.

Unread 11/06/2016, 12:17 AM   #331
Babydaull
Registered Member

Update

I did a five gallon water change tonight. Tank is not looking to good. I need to find a happy medium between school work and tank. It p*sses me off seeing corals dying and shrinking.

Still in the market for a mp10!

Also decided to get the aqua c remora up and running... I can't for whatever reason get bubble to travel up the collection cup.

Any thoughts?

Unread 11/06/2016, 02:22 PM   #332
ReefWreak
Registered Member

I would let the skimmer just run for a few days. Sometimes they take time to really get rolling.

Sorry to hear you're still having troubles. I'm on low-maintenance mode with my tank, because I'm lazy. I just swapped out my CA and ALK containers, so I've got 6 more months. All I do normally is empty the skimmer in the sink and dose every 2 days, then feed daily, and clean the glass a few times a week (used to be once a week when I was dosing vodka).

You can definitely make your tank low maintenance, and I highly recommend it. The less you mess around with your tank, the more stable it is, and the more healthy it is.

Unread 11/08/2016, 12:36 AM   #333
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
I would let the skimmer just run for a few days. Sometimes they take time to really get rolling.

Sorry to hear you're still having troubles. I'm on low-maintenance mode with my tank, because I'm lazy. I just swapped out my CA and ALK containers, so I've got 6 more months. All I do normally is empty the skimmer in the sink and dose every 2 days, then feed daily, and clean the glass a few times a week (used to be once a week when I was dosing vodka).

You can definitely make your tank low maintenance, and I highly recommend it. The less you mess around with your tank, the more stable it is, and the more healthy it is.
Still letting the skimmer do its thing...

I might look into vodka dosing just to give myself an edge.
Do you do water changes?

Unread 11/08/2016, 08:28 AM   #334
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Yes, but not nearly as often as I should. I try to get around to it every 3 weeks or so... but 5 weeks is more likely.

If you start vodka dosing, A. you NEED a skimmer for it to work, and B. start SLOW - no more than 0.5mL per day

Unread 11/08/2016, 11:03 AM   #335
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, but not nearly as often as I should. I try to get around to it every 3 weeks or so... but 5 weeks is more likely.

If you start vodka dosing, A. you NEED a skimmer for it to work, and B. start SLOW - no more than 0.5mL per day
so how does 2 gallons every like Thursday sound?
I need to get my skimmer up and running first.. don't most people use mb7 bacteria dosing thing with vodka dosing as well?

Ill for sure start slow.

Unread 11/08/2016, 12:00 PM   #336
ReefWreak
Registered Member

2 gallons is fine. That's about 10% of true water volume per week, which is good.

You need a skimmer to dose carbon.

Most people only dose carbon/vodka by itself. I chose to add microbacter7, as well as have added some prodibio bacteria as well. Vodka dosing will work without any additional bacteria boosting, I just chose to do them together.

Unread 11/08/2016, 04:54 PM   #337
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
2 gallons is fine. That's about 10% of true water volume per week, which is good.

You need a skimmer to dose carbon.

Most people only dose carbon/vodka by itself. I chose to add microbacter7, as well as have added some prodibio bacteria as well. Vodka dosing will work without any additional bacteria boosting, I just chose to do them together.
2 gallons would be idea, that would be super easy. Alright so I gotta figure out my skimmer and once I do ill be begin dosing vodka. I am also going to pick up some mb7 to increase bacteria diversity and probably some copepods because my blenny loves munching on those.

Unread 11/09/2016, 11:17 PM   #338
Babydaull
Registered Member

update

Thanks to reefwreak I will be switching to as low maintenance as possible. I have taken out all filter floss, chemi-pure and purigen. I will still be running carbon in my media reactor(might as well use it if I have it) I am trying to get this dang skimmer up and running. I am buying mb7 and some copepods to increase bacteria diversity and then the copepods to give my blenny some extra food. I did get my hands on another mp10 so I am super excited to set it up. continue with opinions!

Unread 11/10/2016, 08:37 AM   #339
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Keep us updated, I look forward to seeing the results. Just remember to keep siphoning out any detritus that settles, as you do your water changes, and to keep it slow. Fast = bad things happen.

Unread 11/10/2016, 02:27 PM   #340
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
Keep us updated, I look forward to seeing the results. Just remember to keep siphoning out any detritus that settles, as you do your water changes, and to keep it slow. Fast = bad things happen.
are you referring to detritus in the back sump section? if so ill be sure to do that.
already looking up how I should transition to my new mp10 from my hydors with out anything drastic

Unread 11/10/2016, 11:43 PM   #341
Lilmatty5dimes
Moved On

Great build so far. Love the scoly and golden torch. Do you have any FTS(full tank shots).

Lilmatty5dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/14/2016, 12:42 AM   #342
Babydaull
Registered Member

Getting back to normal

My MP10 is on the way. should be here next week or soo. still trying to convince my parents why a 19 year old needs a bottle of vodka for his fish time tank

I am very sad because my blue hammer bit the dust today. I did a 5 gallon water change the other day. I guess it wasn't enough. losing my 5th coral has kind of gotten me back on the right track for my tank because the corals I lost add up to 280 dollars and I hate to be throwing money away on something that was completely my fault. Atleast I have my two scollys and three torches left.

Unread 11/14/2016, 12:44 AM   #343
Babydaull
Registered Member

Some good news

something positive, looks my trochus snails have been getting busy at night lol. I counted the other day and saw 30-40 baby trochus snails. The LFS already said they would give me a 100 dollar credit for them! so that's cool

Unread 11/14/2016, 12:54 AM   #344
Babydaull
Registered Member

Fts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmatty5dimes View Post
Great build so far. Love the scoly and golden torch. Do you have any FTS(full tank shots).

I am not proud of it because of the condition my tank has been in lately.
but heres what I got at the moment.

Here a pic of my two torches a well.

Unread 11/16/2016, 12:19 AM   #345
Babydaull
Registered Member

I am really at a loss... I lost another coral today and one more
is headed on the same route. I have no clue what could be going wrong. Please anyone's help with be much appreciated

Unread 11/16/2016, 12:59 AM   #346
Lilmatty5dimes
Moved On

Quote:
I am really at a loss... I lost another coral today and one more
is headed on the same route. I have no clue what could be going wrong. Please anyone's help with be much appreciated
What's your parameter? What salt are you using for your WC? At what salinity? I'm thinking your salinity is off. What are you dosing in your tank?

Lilmatty5dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2016, 08:42 AM   #347
ReefWreak
Registered Member

Double check salinity as mentioned, double check nitrates, maybe cut back on feeding and dosing. Maybe do some water changes (what are you using for salt)? Maybe even check for LPS black bugs? Are there any indications before they die off (you mentioned that a coral looks like it is on its way out)?

We all go through phases, ups and downs. Just keep your head high, try to learn from what is going on, and really the one+ year mark is when things start to stabilize. Just don't take any quick actions that could make it worse.

Unread 11/16/2016, 12:51 PM   #348
Babydaull
Registered Member

Matty dimes and reef wreak I'm at work right now, I'll post everything tonight. Stay tuned thanks for the help

Unread 11/16/2016, 09:25 PM   #349
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmatty5dimes View Post
What's your parameter? What salt are you using for your WC? At what salinity? I'm thinking your salinity is off. What are you dosing in your tank?
salinity in main was alittle bit over 1.026, I have an ATO so no salinity swings. I am using red sea coral pro salt and the salinity of that is 1.026 when i put it in the tank for water changes. I am currently dosing nothing.

Unread 11/16/2016, 09:28 PM   #350
Babydaull
Registered Member

Quote:
Double check salinity as mentioned, double check nitrates, maybe cut back on feeding and dosing. Maybe do some water changes (what are you using for salt)? Maybe even check for LPS black bugs? Are there any indications before they die off (you mentioned that a coral looks like it is on its way out)?

We all go through phases, ups and downs. Just keep your head high, try to learn from what is going on, and really the one+ year mark is when things start to stabilize. Just don't take any quick actions that could make it worse.
salinity 1.026, red sea coral pro salt. no dosing at the moment. ill have to wait until the morning to get water tested at Petco. I've been doing weekly 5 gallon water changes.

and in terms of signs. the coral start to lose its tissue. the coral sucks in a lot(closes), and then part of the coral will be dead tissue and then the other half soon follows

Tags
20 gallon, innovative marine, nano, nuvo fusion, reef tank