Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2017, 05:19 PM   #1
jelly
Registered Member

Lanthanum chloride.

I been reading about dosing lanthanum for lower po4. I understand most of it in using a 10 or 5 micron bag and dosing it slowly and dont drop it more then .03ppm per day. So like I said I understand most of it. The area I have trouble with is how much to use In a 1000ml iv bag. I have read 3mls for a 1000ml bag and read others. Is the amount of lanthanum chloride used determined on the amount of water volume and amount of po4? If there isn't a set amount to use it is just something that needs to played with to find the right amount to use to drop po4 down by 3ppm per day until close to 0. And once close to 0 is achieved then finding a maintenance dose to maintain it there?

Second question. My buddy has several tanks and he wants to use lanthanum chloride. He was told to use a 10 or 5 micron bag but to just dose the 3mls right to the bag in a full dose and not drip it. Y is dripping a better method so I can explain it better by him.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2017, 10:37 PM   #2
csb123
Registered Member

I use the SeaKlear “free and clear” product.
20 ml dripped into a filter sock wil drop my PO4 by 0.02 for my 350 gal total water volume.
You can put in any amount in the i.v. bag diluted with r/o water.

csb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 01:12 PM   #3
rfgonzo
Registered Member

Some will drip slowly so they don't drop alkalinity too fast. Less sudden changes.

75 gal Brazilian Dragon Mor
rfgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 07:07 PM   #4
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly View Post
Is the amount of lanthanum chloride used determined on the amount of water volume and amount of po4?
Yes. It will remove the suspended po4 in the water column, (reason for sock). The longer the dwell time the more removed, (a reason for dripping). As stated above, it can be harmful to livestock if po4 is reduced to fast. The lanthanum chloride that passes thru the sock can also harm your livestock,(a reason for dripping).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly View Post
If there isn't a set amount to use it is just something that needs to played with to find the right amount to use to drop po4 down by 3ppm per day until close to 0. And once close to 0 is achieved then finding a maintenance dose to maintain it there?
There is no set formula I know of. It really depends on how high your po4 is to start with. Go slow. Test. Nothing good happens fast. You use it to drop your po4 level to a manageable level. Once reduced, it is better to use GFO or other means to get it down to near 0.

These are my experiences and your results may vary

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 08:29 PM   #5
bertoni
RC Mod

Technically, lanthanum chloride removes dissolved phosphate. It forms a precipitate (lanthanum phosphate) that's probably best removed from the tank, since it seems to cause problems for a few organisms (typically tangs), and might manage to dissociate at some point. Lowering the phosphate level in a tank slowly seems to be a good idea, since people have reported problems with sudden large changes in dissolved nutrient levels, although I'm not sure what exactly might be happening.

Unread 12/04/2017, 08:38 PM   #6
jelly
Registered Member

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 09:16 PM   #7
slief
RC Sponsor

Here is a video I did detailing my process. This is based on my 700 gallon volume which I mention in the video. It’s based on the SeaKlear Commercial product I use.

Keep in mind that there are different concentrations of LaCl depending on the product you buy. Therefore the amount of LaCl that you use needs to be based on the bottle you are buying. You should also test your Alk before and after as LaCl dosing does lower alk.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote