Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/08/2006, 01:21 AM   #1
sarahdae
Registered Member

Could RO system be growing bacteria between uses?

Hey locals, maybe you can help.
I have a question about my RO unit. It is currently not hooked up under my sink yet, but I have been using it about once a month to make large buckets of water for topoff. While not in use, it has been sitting in the garage which is quite warm.
Last time I went to fill my reef tank, I noticed there was some colorless slime in my pure water bucket, and it smelled slightly funny.I always keep the bucket closed & stored in my cool kitchen pantry. and It had been a few weeks since I filled it. Anyway, I noticed the slime AFTER I topped off my tank. EEK! My tank was cloudy for a day or so. I have never had my water in my bucket go bad before. Also, this seemed to coencide with the weather warming up & consequently my RO unit being exposed to the warm garage. It is a 5 stage unit with DI.

So I took apart my RO system, it had been about 5 months since I changed any filters. But like I said, I use the unit maybe 30-40 gallons per month, and I go 3-4 weeks between uses.
The RO unit had the same slimy feel on some of the filters, just like what was in my bucket. No mold or any color, but clear slime, and a slightly not-so-fresh smell. This last batch of water I did not do a TDS reading, batteries died. TDS is usually zero. Waiting for new batteries.
So my question is this: If the RO unit sits in a warm, dark place for 3-4 weeks without being used, could this ruin the filters, or cause bacterial growth? I am willing to bet the slime must have been some sort of bacterial growth. I have since changed all filters, and rinsed the housing. What should I do? It seems that if it is wet and damp in there, the unit will start to grow bacteria...how is it that people go 6-12 months without changing filters? Do I need to use it a minimum amount of times per month or week to keep the unit "fresh"? Or should I simply start storing it in a cooler area?
I do intend to hook it up to the sink, I just havent gotten the cooperation from my husband.
I am wondering how a RO unit stays clean at all, as it is damp all the time and in the dark...it would seem that no mater how often you used it, it would grow bacteria.
Anyone had this happen or have thoughts??

Current Tank Info: 90 gal, mixed tank, 2 250w HQI/2X110w actinic, Deltec MCE600 skimmer
sarahdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2006, 06:39 AM   #2
owsi
Moved On

Yes, thats why they recomend cleaning unit when changeing cartrides. If you store it and do not use regulary, the waste on the mebrane will feed a bacteria colony.

owsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/08/2006, 10:57 AM   #3
AZDesertRat
Moved On

The carbon filters remove all traces of residual chlorine that your water utility uses to kill bacteria. Once you have removed that and then you store it in a nice quiescent warm spot its fair game for bacteria and virus growth. Permanently mounting it and using it for other uses like drinking water and your icemaker are the best ways to keep it fresh. My tanks are probably only 1/2 the use my filter sees, I get nice clear ice cubes and good drinking watre from it also. No more trips to the store for bags of ice or bottled water deliveries.

AZDesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2006, 10:51 PM   #4
sarahdae
Registered Member

I wonder how often I should use the unit before bacteria starts to grow? Once a day? once every few days? Once a week?

Current Tank Info: 90 gal, mixed tank, 2 250w HQI/2X110w actinic, Deltec MCE600 skimmer
sarahdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2006, 08:41 AM   #5
AZDesertRat
Moved On

If it is in the house in a protected location, meaning out of heat and direct sunlight, once a week is probably sufficient. If its outside or in the garage it may need to be used more often. Heck, hook it up and use it for drinking water!

AZDesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2006, 11:08 AM   #6
owsi
Moved On

first I would follow manufacturers instructions for reg. service cleaning to get rid of exsisting bacteria. The exsisting colony will pollute it faster then if you clean it.

owsi is offline   Reply With Quote