Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/13/2018, 01:04 PM   #1
MeesePolice
Registered Member

SOS algae over growth

I recently moved away to college and left my mom to take care of my aquarium for about 2 to 3 weeks, I was aware of a nitrate issue before I left I figured to be fine with a 20% water change but when I returned to come bring it to my new house i discovered it is completely overgrown with red algae, most of the coral has been completely trampled by the algae, the two clown fish and other Crustaceans I have in the aquarium seem to be fine however. I want to know if its worth coming back from or just power washing all the rocks, replacing the sand and starting new. I cant upload pictures for some reason but everything from the sand to the glass is covered in algae, I should also mention this is not cyanobacteria.

MeesePolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2018, 02:03 PM   #2
Anemone
Cloning Around

What size is the tank?

Personally, I'd vacuum out as much of the algae from the sand as I could, then scrub the rocks with a stiff brush in a bucket of tank water. Power washing the rocks will destroy most of the bacteria (leading to a tank cycle) and any micro and macro fauna living on the rocks; scrubbing in tank water will let you keep some of the good stuff.

2-3 weeks of neglect/overfeeding shouldn't be that hard to overcome.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2018, 02:06 PM   #3
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
What size is the tank?

Personally, I'd vacuum out as much of the algae from the sand as I could, then scrub the rocks with a stiff brush in a bucket of tank water. Power washing the rocks will destroy most of the bacteria (leading to a tank cycle) and any micro and macro fauna living on the rocks; scrubbing in tank water will let you keep some of the good stuff.

2-3 weeks of neglect/overfeeding shouldn't be that hard to overcome.

Kevin

^^^This^^^

Although it sounds a lot like the dreade4d cyanobacteria to me - especially it's rate of growth and it's mat like appearance.

Pics would really help!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, ASM G2 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, no skimmer (yet)
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2018, 07:29 PM   #4
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

What size....now that's an important question.....my guess is small.....things happen real fast in small tanks.

It sounds like cyano, however:

If we are talking Red Hair Algae (and not cyano) Mexican Turbos will clean those rocks in a few weeks, just keeping placing them in affected areas until gone.

If you can scrub it with a brush and it don't come off at all, then it's Red Hair Algae, annoying stuff, at least the green stuff can be picked and scrubbed, or weakened with ultra low phosphates, maybe a blackout from time to time.

Make sure your not using old T5'lights or that any amount of sunlight can hit the tank, these are famous for growing the red stuff....

Otherwise it's cyano, but seems a lot (sand, rock, glass) for a few weeks..... Unless the tank is small

Cyano is generally found in newer tanks, it's a stage, just blow it and vacuum, make sure all the waters going in originate from 0 TDS RODI, some believe silicates feed cyano, but sheer speculation.

Last edited by Uncle99; 10/13/2018 at 07:46 PM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote