Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2016, 12:52 PM   #2626
Billybatz9
Registered Member

diatoms or dinos?

Are these diatoms or dinos?

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2016, 12:54 PM   #2627
bertoni
RC Mod

That looks like dinoflagellates or cyanobacteria. It could be a mix, as well.

Unread 01/11/2016, 12:56 PM   #2628
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Wondering if I should add bio balls in back of biocube to allow little creatures to multiply and breed back there? Right now, there isn't anything. Advice?

Unread 01/11/2016, 12:58 PM   #2629
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
That looks like dinoflagellates or cyanobacteria. It could be a mix, as well.
On the rocks, it's a brown hairy look

Unread 01/11/2016, 02:27 PM   #2630
dirtrider225
Registered Member

Would you guys say mine looks like ostreopsis or something else?

dirtrider225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2016, 03:37 PM   #2631
m0nkey123345
Registered Member

Can anyone tell me if this is Dino? I can't seem to find any bright green dino photos anywhere through google.

m0nkey123345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2016, 05:01 PM   #2632
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider225 View Post
Would you guys say mine looks like ostreopsis or something else?
Your pic didn't show up!

@Billy yeah I'm still not sure. It looks like dinos in some places and cyano in others. That hair on the rocks doesn't quite look like dinos but I don't know what it could be. Putting bioballs back in won't hurt, but they may eventually raise nitrates. Are you dosing phyto? I like your idea of transplants from your new tank (what a steal! why can't I find deals like that?) a lot better than bleaching your system.

@Manny did you check Pants' website? Good video, they have the really classic Ostreopsis shape but O. have this odd behaviour where they spin like someone nailed one of their feet to the floor. I don't think I see that.

@Monkey Nope, no green dinos. Looks like cyano, does it come off in big patches?

hth
Ivy (still lost in 34Cygni's footnotes..man that's interesting)

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2016, 05:10 PM   #2633
mannyhernz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post

@Manny did you check Pants' website? Good video, they have the really classic Ostreopsis shape but O. have this odd behaviour where they spin like someone nailed one of their feet to the floor. I don't think I see that.
No i havent seen Pants' website..
Mind linking me to it?
Also they do spin in a big circle..kinda like a clock.

mannyhernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2016, 05:28 PM   #2634
seamonster124
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyhernz View Post
That's Ostreopsis. Have you tried raising nitrates?

Unread 01/11/2016, 05:31 PM   #2635
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

Quote:
Mind linking me to it?
http://www.algaeid.com/identification/

Fish Keeper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2016, 08:19 PM   #2636
bertoni
RC Mod

The green growth looks more like cyanobacteria or the beginnings of coralline to me. Cyanobacteria will come off the rock to a very light touch.

Unread 01/12/2016, 07:17 AM   #2637
m0nkey123345
Registered Member

Quote:
@Monkey Nope, no green dinos. Looks like cyano, does it come off in big patches?
Yes it does. Thank you!

m0nkey123345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 08:58 AM   #2638
dirtrider225
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
Your pic didn't show up!

hth
Ivy (still lost in 34Cygni's footnotes..man that's interesting)
Does the forum not me post pics using photobucket? is there a different way to do it? I literally joined to be a part of this thread lol

Unread 01/12/2016, 09:07 AM   #2639
csammis
Mental Institution

Quote:
Does the forum not me post pics using photobucket? is there a different way to do it? I literally joined to be a part of this thread lol
Your first post in this thread doesn't have any link to a picture. You might have accidentally edited it out? Try posting it again. Photobucket should be fine. If you can't get it to show up inline just post a link to the picture on Photobucket.

csammis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 09:34 AM   #2640
mannyhernz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonster124 View Post
That's Ostreopsis. Have you tried raising nitrates?
Yeah im dosing bacteria and feeding heavy...just started seeing hair algae grow in some places

mannyhernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 09:47 AM   #2641
dirtrider225
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csammis View Post
Your first post in this thread doesn't have any link to a picture. You might have accidentally edited it out? Try posting it again. Photobucket should be fine. If you can't get it to show up inline just post a link to the picture on Photobucket.
Ive read through nearly this entire thread. I currently have Dinos but they arent nearly to the porportions you guys have had them. Mine will take 4 or 5 days to really get annoying to coral and its mostly the frags. I have SPS that are still alive and growing (albiet slow) i have 2 RBTA and 2 RFAs a rabbitfish, starry blenny, urchin, 2 clowns, and 2 shrimp gobies. My CUC isnt dying and i havent had a snail die off like others have mentioned. I do believe i lost a kole tang to this stuff before i knew it was dinos but at the same time there is no way for me to know as it was pretty new to the tank.

Tank info, Red sea reefer 250 (65 gallon system). Used about 15ish lbs of "live" rock from a tank i had set up and running for 6 months. also added about 25 lbs of dry pukani rock a month after setup of the tank. The tank has only been running since october, used carribsea argonite sand. I run rox.8 carbon and use a vertex omega 150 skimmer (way oversized.)

Im not certain but im pretty sure ive had a slight amount of this stuff since end of november, and it took off after i removed a large amount of bryopsis turf algea and peroxide scrubbed a large chunk of the rock.

So far ive tried a ~3 day somewhat blackout.. not total, i didnt cover the tank or anything and i had the lights on for ~45 minutes each night so i could feed the fish and the anemones. (nems werent happy about no light) i dosed 7ml peroxide morning and night during this time and a couple days after. I went 2 weeks without seeing dinos after doing this.

Then my skimmer went offline because i mounted frags with epoxy (took 1.5 weeks and 20 gallons of new water and its JUST starting to work again) and i noticed them starting to return. My corals and nems i dont think will last another 3 day blackout and since it didnt solve the problem im not sure i want to try it again anyways.

These pictures are when it was at its worst. It doesnt get that bad anymore, but that is what it looks like when i let it go

it kind of looks like a type of cyano, except in the morning its nearly all gone and by noon its back again. The more i let it go the stringier it gets, but it also grows on the glass and fragrack. I am trying to get access to a microscope to identify. What are your guys's thoughts?

Unread 01/12/2016, 09:51 AM   #2642
dirtrider225
Registered Member

It doesnt seem to let me link direct to the pictures. On my screen and account it shows up but if i log out and look my post's with pictures dont show up. So here is a link to my photobucket which will show the stuff when it was at its worst.
EDIT.. I think i figured it out.
 photo 20151214_170944_zpsll01in36.jpg

photo 20151214_170932_zpsrljduuab.jpg

photo 20151214_170744_zpszuagj15k.jpg

photo 20151214_170800_zpsy1b1y87i.jpg

Ive read through nearly this entire thread. I currently have Dinos but they arent nearly to the porportions you guys have had them. Mine will take 4 or 5 days to really get annoying to coral and its mostly the frags. I have SPS that are still alive and growing (albiet slow) i have 2 RBTA and 2 RFAs a rabbitfish, starry blenny, urchin, 2 clowns, and 2 shrimp gobies. My CUC isnt dying and i havent had a snail die off like others have mentioned. I do believe i lost a kole tang to this stuff before i knew it was dinos but at the same time there is no way for me to know as it was pretty new to the tank.

This is when the stuff was at its worst, I did a 3 day blackout and h2o2 treatment as stated below and its much less than that now.

Tank info, Red sea reefer 250 (65 gallon system). Used about 15ish lbs of "live" rock from a tank i had set up and running for 6 months. also added about 25 lbs of dry pukani rock a month after setup of the tank. The tank has only been running since october, used carribsea argonite sand. I run rox.8 carbon and use a vertex omega 150 skimmer (way oversized.)

Im not certain but im pretty sure ive had a slight amount of this stuff since end of november, and it took off after i removed a large amount of bryopsis turf algea and peroxide scrubbed a large chunk of the rock.

So far ive tried a ~3 day somewhat blackout.. not total, i didnt cover the tank or anything and i had the lights on for ~45 minutes each night so i could feed the fish and the anemones. (nems werent happy about no light) i dosed 7ml peroxide morning and night during this time and a couple days after. I went 2 weeks without seeing dinos after doing this.

Then my skimmer went offline because i mounted frags with epoxy (took 1.5 weeks and 20 gallons of new water and its JUST starting to work again) and i noticed them starting to return. My corals and nems i dont think will last another 3 day blackout and since it didnt solve the problem im not sure i want to try it again anyways.

Unread 01/12/2016, 10:29 AM   #2643
Fish Keeper82
Registered Member

Dirtrider225 have you looked at it under a microscope? Its hard to id from those pictures. In some it looks like it could be dinos, but in most it looks like Cyano to me. The large amount of bubbles under the mats are not something ive seen to often with dinos. The usually grow on the tips of the stringers.

Fish Keeper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 10:39 AM   #2644
dirtrider225
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Keeper82 View Post
Dirtrider225 have you looked at it under a microscope? Its hard to id from those pictures. In some it looks like it could be dinos, but in most it looks like Cyano to me. The bubbles under the mats are not something ive seen with dinos. The usually grow on the tips of the stringers.
I might have an oppurtunity tonight to look under a microscope. I initially thought its cyano but it doesnt behave like any cyano ive had in the past.

At the same time it doesnt behave 100% like dinos either.

Example. My urchin, snails, hermit crabs and starry blenny are all still alive and they pick away at the rocks and glass constantly. By morning however there is a very very little dusting of the stuff on the glass and sand but otherwhys the tank is clear. When i get home from work there are the strings on many things and the corals are unhappy. I blast away with the turkey baster and the stuff disentegrates (doesnt stay in clumps or mattes) and is back later that day or the next day.

I run rox.8 carbon, have a large skimmer and always do my waterchanges using 0tds water. I feed maybe 1 cube every other day and some pellets on the days i dont feed a cube of mysis. I even siphon out the sand when i do waterchanges and have about 10 nassarius snails. and 2 giant tongan nassarius. I really dont know how there could be built up nutrients to create the cyano.

To be honest i personally think i have a bacterial infection of some sort because for a while i was overdosing red sea's NoPox on accident.

Unread 01/12/2016, 12:02 PM   #2645
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
I might have an oppurtunity tonight to look under a microscope. I initially thought its cyano but it doesnt behave like any cyano ive had in the past.

At the same time it doesnt behave 100% like dinos either.

Example. My urchin, snails, hermit crabs and starry blenny are all still alive and they pick away at the rocks and glass constantly. I blast away with the turkey baster and the stuff disentegrates (doesnt stay in clumps or mattes) and is back later that day or the next day.

To be honest i personally think i have a bacterial infection of some sort because for a while i was overdosing red sea's NoPox on accident.
I agree with the above, most of that really looks more like cyano. Although the clear stuff on the tiny frag could definitely be bacterial. CUC don't usually touch cyano or dinos, so I'm not sure what's with that. Not all dinos are toxic, there are quite a few that just seem to be ugly and annoying. Cyano does go away overnight. Peroxide treating the rocks probably left some organic material there which is enough to kick off cyano. It has a number of fancy tricks especially with phosphate.

It's possible that you have both dinos AND cyano, they quite often overlap when you're running at low but not undetectable N and P. Raising or lowering nutrients will often push your system towards one or the other. I can tell exactly where my tank is by seeing whether the cyano is ahead of the dinos. What're your parameters like?

Suggestions: Check your N and P. If both are measurable you probably have cyano with possibly some dinos just being annoying. If it's primarily cyano you'll want to reduce P so look into GFO. If it's dinos well that's going to be a more involved discussion.

hth a bit
ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Unread 01/12/2016, 12:14 PM   #2646
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Mind linking me to it?
Sorry, I meant to link it at the bottom of the post. That motion is diagnostic for Ostreopsis.

Pants' website for anyone playing along at home: https://www.youtube.com/user/YorickSanchez/feed

Good key for dinos (notice prorocentrum and amphidinium, they look like ostreopsis but seem to be way less toxic. Sit doesn't have Ostreopsis pics for some reason) http://cfb.unh.edu/phycokey/Choices/.../dino_key.html

Algaebase.org has a good image search if you look under Latin name

hth
ivy

Unread 01/12/2016, 12:36 PM   #2647
dirtrider225
Registered Member

Hannah phosphate checker has my p04 at 0.00. I only have an API test kit for nitrates which comes up as 0 but i dont really trust it lol. Ill try to get a more representable picture tonight as well as get that ID with a microscope. I really really hope its just cyano and ill do a few Waterchanges and run my skimmer wet. That would like make my week. However it doesnt grow in dense mattes (only the pic with the anemone is like that) the rest of the stuff grows as a dusting everywhere and then gets stringy from there

Unread 01/12/2016, 02:08 PM   #2648
PorkchopExpress
Registered Member

dirtrider, although it's not a foolproof test, you can try siphoning some of that out, putting it into a clear container or something, shaking or stirring it up and seeing if in an hour it gathers back together to form strings...i've used this technique on occasions and if it was dino, they tend to congregate back together to talk about who's dating who, figure out who's hosting this year's holiday party, and the next expensive coral to launch an attack on...each little dino cell is even visible to the naked eye

PorkchopExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2016, 09:22 PM   #2649
dirtrider225
Registered Member

Well the results are in... whatcha guys think? Definately dinos but what kind?
https://youtu.be/dflMTKGLUy0
https://youtu.be/6yebk2TETlU

This is the best I could get sorry for quality.

Unread 01/12/2016, 10:38 PM   #2650
bertoni
RC Mod

Those look like other samples that have been called Ostreopsis, but I am bad at ids.