Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/26/2009, 02:36 PM   #176
ctenophors rule
Registered Member

i still see no results.

wierd?

my nutrients were undetectable before treatment(unsure now)

i stopped skimming, i am still carbon, and de-phosphate dosing though.

is that i prob?

Current Tank Info: my fishbowls are round 8)
ctenophors rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2009, 02:38 PM   #177
ctenophors rule
Registered Member

also, this stuff says not to use with any crustaceans of any kind....

Unread 04/26/2009, 02:40 PM   #178
THE ROOK
Registered Member

Why stop skimming?

THE ROOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2009, 02:41 PM   #179
ctenophors rule
Registered Member

also i am using algaefix, fresh, its the same thing, so it shouldn't be the reason i have yet to see results, right?

Unread 04/26/2009, 03:06 PM   #180
sanababit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ctenophors rule
also i am using algaefix, fresh, its the same thing, so it shouldn't be the reason i have yet to see results, right?
I would stop dosing algaefix for freshwater and get algaefix marine, i looked at the ingredients and they are different, i believe this chemical only treats marine algae, and that is why it hasn't worked for you...

sana

Current Tank Info: 90RR inwall, Octopuss Skimmer, 2 MP40 wQD, 1 MP10 WQD, 2 Radions G4 Pro, Apex Doser, Apex Controller, 400w heater, 30 Gal Sump, Biopellets, Carbon, Gfo, Macroalgae
sanababit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2009, 03:52 PM   #181
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

ctenophors rule,

I don't believe you have been dosing long enough to see results. Usually you start seeing the results around the 4th-5th dose.

The AlgaeFix Marine label states to dose every 3 days. Add 1 ml. per 10 US gal. of your actual tank water. The active ingredient straight from the bottle is 4.5% Poly(oxyethylene(dimethylimino)ethylene dichloride).

I believe that the AlgaeFix for fresh water has the same amount of the same active ingredient, 4.5%. I have not seen the label for the fresh. If my assumptions are correct, you should use the AlgaeFix for Fresh at the same amounts as on the label for the Marine. Both dosing labels may not be the same. The marine label states that it is ok for all reef inhabitants.

As far as whether the AlgaeFix Marine & the Fresh water version are the same, it is very possible they are the same. It is also possible that the manufacturer removed some of the contaminates from the marine version, which would not necessarily show up on the label or the MSDS sheet.

I have read some threads on other sites where they have used the fresh water version in marine tanks with no problems. You are the first here that is using the Fresh version. If you decide to keep using the fresh version, I will be very interested in your results.

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system

Last edited by HighlandReefer; 04/26/2009 at 04:23 PM.
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2009, 04:19 PM   #182
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

This is the site that lists the chemical information of the active ingredient in both versions:

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_...DIST_NR=008709

Unread 04/26/2009, 04:55 PM   #183
ctenophors rule
Registered Member

yeah they are the same.

okay, i will keep dosing and see.

also the white stuff that was floating, i think it may be hair algae.

does it turn clear when it dies?

it doesn't appear to be a bacterium when i looked under the microscope, looks more like an alga.

also i got a bunch of other algae today (tooo many to list) i will ad those to the tank after qt, and hopefully they will out compete the hair algae.

Unread 04/26/2009, 05:05 PM   #184
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Yea, the white/clear stuff may very well be dead algae (lost its chlorophyll).

Good luck with your dosing and keep us posted on the results (good or bad). You are our first (for this thread) AlgaeFix for Fresh water Guinea Pig.

Unread 04/26/2009, 05:17 PM   #185
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

ctenophors rule,

Another important thing to do while using AlgaeFix, is to get as much algae out by hand removal, brushing & siphoning as possible.

Unread 04/26/2009, 07:18 PM   #186
ctenophors rule
Registered Member

i've always wanted to be a ginnea pig.....and eat one. (does that make me a cannabile?)

i am removing lots of it, the system i use that works, is to use the mag float and follow behind it with a brineshrimp net, if you turn the pumps of that works wonders on the glass.

i have trouble with the rocks though...

Unread 04/26/2009, 11:54 PM   #187
sanababit
Registered Member

I went to the store and saw the labels for fresh and marine, they where different on some amount of ingredients and ingredients, man you are making me think here, i am going to double check, but i am pretty sure i saw something different and that is why i got the marine version.....

sana

Current Tank Info: 90RR inwall, Octopuss Skimmer, 2 MP40 wQD, 1 MP10 WQD, 2 Radions G4 Pro, Apex Doser, Apex Controller, 400w heater, 30 Gal Sump, Biopellets, Carbon, Gfo, Macroalgae
Unread 04/27/2009, 02:19 AM   #188
lilmonster
Registered Member

I'm also having a hair alge breakout right now, and after reading this, i went and checked my RO storage tank.
Bingo! I actually found alge in the safety overflow tubing, right where it exited the tank.

Thanks everybody!

so now, what's the best way to clean a holding tank?

i also have some red sline alge starting too, and I used the "Blue Life Red Slime Control" and it worked great.

lilmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2009, 04:24 AM   #189
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Diluted bleach will destroy the algae & bacteria. Vinegar is also a disinfectant if used at higher concentrations, but may not be as effective as the diluted bleach for your purpose.

You will want to triple rinse your container after treatment and if you use the bleach, you may want to use a product from the LFS to remove any possible amount left over after rinsing.

Unread 04/27/2009, 05:29 AM   #190
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Sanababit,

From the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals website:

http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Pr...x?ProductID=52

The active ingredients for both products are as follows:

AlgaeFix Fresh Water: dimethyliminoethylene dichloride, ethoxylate 31512-74-0 4.5%

AlgaeFix Marine: dimethyliminoethylene dichloride, ethoxylate 31512-74-0 4.5%

As I stated before the MSDS sheets do not list the individual contaminates found in the products or the manufacturing process used for each. Very likely they are identical, but one can't be positive with the information provided.

Unread 04/27/2009, 06:37 AM   #191
boca rat
Registered Member

It clearly states on the label not to use the Fresh with inverts or something, right? That was good enough for me....

boca rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2009, 10:40 AM   #192
sanababit
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HighlandReefer
Sanababit,

From the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals website:

http://aquariumpharm.com/Products/Pr...x?ProductID=52

The active ingredients for both products are as follows:

AlgaeFix Fresh Water: dimethyliminoethylene dichloride, ethoxylate 31512-74-0 4.5%

AlgaeFix Marine: dimethyliminoethylene dichloride, ethoxylate 31512-74-0 4.5%

As I stated before the MSDS sheets do not list the individual contaminates found in the products or the manufacturing process used for each. Very likely they are identical, but one can't be positive with the information provided.
Highland, i am pretty sure i saw something different, but your are probably right, i am going to double check the labels this week, and i remember seeing something about the fresh kind that made me not buy it, and it was cheaper too....

sana

Unread 04/27/2009, 02:59 PM   #193
Bruno3047
Registered Member

I've ordered Algaefix Marine and will be starting treatment as soon as it arrives. I was just wondering about the "won't kill the algae spores" claim.

If someone was to put a UV online, wouldn't this take care of any algae spores still floating around after the Algaefix has cleared up the HA?

Any thoughts?

Bruno3047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2009, 03:15 PM   #194
ctenophors rule
Registered Member

actualy the botle say "DO NOT USE WITH CRUSTACEANS"

this worries me slkightly, but so far all i have seen is more than usual molting.

my shrimp have molted 2 times this month, as apposed to once every three month, i will see when they molt next and report my findings promptly

Unread 04/27/2009, 04:52 PM   #195
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by ctenophors rule
actualy the botle say "DO NOT USE WITH CRUSTACEANS"

this worries me slkightly, but so far all i have seen is more than usual molting.

my shrimp have molted 2 times this month, as apposed to once every three month, i will see when they molt next and report my findings promptly
Since you're using the freshwater Algaefix, I've got to figure they mean not to use it with freshwater crustaceans. Marine critters must have different ways of coping with the active ingredient in Algaefix.

P.S.... Thinking of my own crustaceans, I started dosing Algaefix Saturday night. Today, a big porcelain crab is happily eating crud, my decorator crab is busy eating one of my rock flower anemones damn his eyes, and a wennerae mantis whapped my toothbrush when I was trying to clean the side of his rock. No crustacean problems here so far, knock on wood.

Last edited by Yogre; 04/27/2009 at 05:04 PM.
Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2009, 06:40 PM   #196
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

I am in no way, condoning the use of the AlgaeFix for fresh water in any marine tank system. I recommend that you use the AlgaeFix Marine for reef systems. There may be some contaminates in the fresh water version. That said, it is possible the two products are identical. I am sure the manufacturer will not disclose any information about this. For one thing, the manufacturer had to pay for a lot of extra testing to prove that it was safe in marine systems in order to get the new EPA label as an algaecide to be used in marine systems. IMHO, the manufacturer is entitled to recoup their costs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sanababit,

If you come up with something, please let us know. Another name for the chemical ingredient as far as my understanding goes, is Poly(oxyethylene(dimethylimino)ethylene dichloride). This is the same as dimethyliminoethylene dichloride, ethoxylate. I am not a chemist, so any chemists reading this, please let me know if I am incorrect.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruno,

When I contacted the manufacturer, they informed me that the AlgaeFix Marine would not kill the spore stage (I use this term loosely). IMHO, running UV will not help much with killing the spores. The problem with the algae spores is one reason why the manufacturer recommends to continue dosing on a weekly basis, to kill spores as they germinate and before the algae comes back again. Keep us posted on your results with AlgaeFix Marine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ctenophors rule,

I don't know what else to tell you, other than what I have stated above.

Unread 04/27/2009, 08:26 PM   #197
Bruno3047
Registered Member

Thanks for your response, HighlandReefer. I'll be posting before and after pics once I get going.

Just to expand a little bit on the UV idea. I know that UV filters are very useful for killing algae spores in pond applications. My thinking is that it might be helpful in a reef application also.

Bruno3047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2009, 04:46 AM   #198
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Bruno,

I am not sure exactly how effective the UV is on spores, given the strength & exposure time in most hobby grade systems.

Another problem is that the spores can become attached to substrate.....etc and are not necessarily free floating in the water column. Thus, the UV will not possibly have exposure with the spores in this situation. At the rate algae reproduce, it would not take many spores to eventually bring your system back to where it all started.

FWIW, I run UV myself. Every little bit helps.

Last edited by HighlandReefer; 04/28/2009 at 05:33 AM.
Unread 04/28/2009, 06:01 AM   #199
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

A hobby grade reef system is a very complex ecosystem in itself, particularly when you look at its micro-diversity. I have not seen any studies regarding the diversity of bacteria, algae, cyanobacteria, protozoans......etc. found in the average system. Their reproductive capacity is phenomenal. Throwing some AlgaeFix Marine into this complex system, can have all sorts of effects on the individuals in your system, for both the good guys and the bad guys. It can kill most microbes. A lot will have to do with what the AlgaeFix actually comes in contact with and at what concentrations. When the AlgaeFix is dumped into one's aquarium, it will flow with the current and disperse through the system at different concentrations and to different areas. The AlgaeFix will attach to negatively charged things in your system. If enough of it attaches to your pest, it will kill it. The goal is to kill the pest and not the desirable organisms in your system. Undoubtedly, some of the good guys will loose out. Some of the organisms will be less susceptible to the effects of the AlgaeFix, while others will be more susceptible. It would be very interesting to know what these actual effects are on some of the organisms found in our system. This information would be very helpful in creating a proper pest control program using the AlgaeFix Marine.

Another useful fact that was disclosed during my inquiry with the manufacturer, is that the active ingredient in AlgaeFix Marine will brake down within 24 hrs.

Unfortunately, the studies answering my questions are normally made at Universities and not supplied by the manufacturers. It does not appear there is much interest in this type of research, perhaps due to the economics involved and the fact that AlgaeFix will not likely be used in the ocean to control algae.

IMHO, AlgaeFix Marine is a good tool to be used in a reef system, after all the standard recommended procedures have been exhausted. It is not a solution by itself, but an additional tool to be used in conjunction with other control methods such as reduced phosphate & nitrate; mechanical removal of your pest, proper lighting; proper feeding; good skimming........this list goes on.

Randy's articles explaining these methods are an excellent source:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...t2003/chem.htm

What is Skimming?
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/rhf/index.php

Reverse Osmosis/Deionization Systems to Purify Tap Water for Reef Aquaria
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rhf/index.htm

Organic Compounds in the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/rhf/index.htm

The Complete Nitrogen Cycle
http://web.archive.org/web/200305101...&RecordNo=3090

Last edited by HighlandReefer; 04/28/2009 at 06:58 AM.
Unread 04/28/2009, 06:50 AM   #200
WaterssretaW
Registered Member

I've been dealing with nuisance algae for some time.

Just ordered a bottle from MarineDepot. Ill also document its effects.

Current Tank Info: Coral only with Live Rock
WaterssretaW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ganjero