Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2017, 12:03 AM   #1676
SeaMonkee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanpate1 View Post
Here's mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LMAO, yep, works best!

Current Tank Info: New Start
SeaMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2017, 10:23 AM   #1677
davehead86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDemonicAngel View Post
wow these are all very impressive systems but massive in size. anyone have a smaller setup? possibly for an apartment?
I tore all my crap out for this. I now just have a container to hold fresh RODI water only. I have a single line coming out to fill buckets and measure salt off that (2.5 cups IO per 5 gallons). I use the MAG pump i bought for the mixing station as a way to get the water out without having to lift the buckets anymore (the hard part).

Less space, less mess, no worry about salt going off or having heaters and pumps running all the time in two containers.

Current Tank: 65 Gallon Mixed Reef| 40B Sump| 2 Radion Gen 3's| 2 MP10wes| Vectra M1 | Reefkeeper Lite
davehead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2017, 09:25 AM   #1678
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at setting up 2 tanks, probably 40 to 55 gallons each with an 18" diameter. I like the concept many of you have used with the pump in between and the manifold out in front.

How much extra space do I need for the plumbing and a pump in between? Would 42" wide by 24" deep be enough for the tanks and plumbing set up?

Thanks.

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2017, 11:02 AM   #1679
afish70
Registered Member

I live in the Tampa area and am trying to locate a 24" Wide x 24" deep x 30" tall tank i could use to store my RODI water. Any one know where i might find something like that thta will not cost a small fortune? I see everyone with the rectangular style holding tanks and liek those but do not know where to purchase them.

afish70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2017, 10:15 AM   #1680
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Also, what would be a good pump recommendation for an inline set up. It'll run at max 14 feet horizontal from the saltwater tank, and the difference in vertical will be less than 2'. Let's say max 10, 90 degree elbows. Any good quality but inexpensive pumps to recommend?

Unread 06/02/2017, 10:17 AM   #1681
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornbreaker View Post
Also, what would be a good pump recommendation for an inline set up. It'll run at max 14 feet horizontal from the saltwater tank, and the difference in vertical will be less than 2'. Let's say max 10, 90 degree elbows. Any good quality but inexpensive pumps to recommend?
To be clearer, I mean 14 feet from the saltwater mixing tank...not the DT.

Unread 06/04/2017, 11:18 AM   #1682
Postal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afish70 View Post
I live in the Tampa area and am trying to locate a 24" Wide x 24" deep x 30" tall tank i could use to store my RODI water. Any one know where i might find something like that thta will not cost a small fortune? I see everyone with the rectangular style holding tanks and liek those but do not know where to purchase them.
Try checking with Glenn Industries in Clearwater. A bunch of people in the Tampa Bay Reef Club use them for their setups.

http://www.glennind.com

Postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 09:30 AM   #1683
daninflipflops
In Memoriam

quick question, why are so many people plumbing their mixing stations (and tanks BTW) with Sch 80 PVC pipe and fittings? its so overkill and a waste of money. the pumps we use get no where near exceeding even 1/4 the limits of cheaper sch 40 pvc.

daninflipflops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 09:32 AM   #1684
ClownsRCoo
Registered Member

The only reason people use sch 80 in this hobby is for the looks since you can buy it in colors.

Unread 06/08/2017, 10:09 AM   #1685
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownsRCoo View Post
The only reason people use sch 80 in this hobby is for the looks since you can buy it in colors.

You can buy schedule 40 and connectors in colors as well though not as readily available as schedule 80

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/08/2017, 04:21 PM   #1686
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownsRCoo View Post

For me it was purely aesthetics. Why should my mixing station not look as good as my tanks plumbing?

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2017, 07:27 AM   #1687
daninflipflops
In Memoriam

Then i guess that makes me the weirdo that doesnt care about what the plumbing in my sump (that i cant see) looks like.

daninflipflops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2017, 10:02 AM   #1688
soulpatch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninflipflops View Post
Then i guess that makes me the weirdo that doesnt care about what the plumbing in my sump (that i cant see) looks like.
My sump and stand are all color coded and matching but my mixing station is whatever. It is in back room where I rarely go and it just generic fittings and such.

I have all color PVC and fittings in my sump though. I am in there a lot with the tank so wanted it to look as sharp. My OCD would have issues otherwise.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2017, 10:07 AM   #1689
shiftline
Registered Member

Good old brute can for me

Current Tank Info: Fuson 30L
shiftline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2017, 11:14 AM   #1690
Beff
Registered Member

I just posted this in the "Lighting, Filtration and other Equipment" forum:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2640148

It's portable and has some safety features to prevent flooding and overheating.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Misled; 10/30/2017 at 06:45 PM.
Beff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2017, 05:37 PM   #1691
tsav
Registered Member

tsav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2017, 04:28 PM   #1692
lnevo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_bravo View Post
http://www.ruralking.com/ace-roto-mo...sp0007-rt.html

Expect a three week delivery time. That tank had the correct dimensions for the space I had available with the largest capacity @ 7 gallons.

I just ordered two 40g tanks from here...great price and free shipping???? Unreal...too good to be true.

lnevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2017, 08:20 AM   #1693
Nugooch
Registered Member

Water containers

Anyone in the North GA/Tenn area.... there is a guy in Woodstock who has every type of container you can imagine for dirt cheap. He's on Craigslist with them. Its kind of creepy pulling in and seeing mountains of containers.

I got two plastic 30 gallon barrels with locking lids for $30 each. They had been used to transport bagged pharmaceuticals. (The guy can tell you exactly what they were used for)

Unread 06/23/2017, 08:16 AM   #1694
DavHalt
Registered Member

"They had been used to transport bagged pharmaceuticals."

As a pharmacist for 21 years, the only "bagged" pharmaceuticals I've ever seen are drugs that are being sent for destruction (usually they are expired). They are placed in the containers and are then supposed to be destroyed via incineration. While I doubt there is much risk/danger in the containers per se, I'm not sure how anyone would have multiple containers like that legitimately. Just FWIW.

Successful Reefing!
Dave

DavHalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 09:55 AM   #1695
mrpizzaface
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy55 View Post
A little note for new viewers, I went through the process of getting a plastic vertical tank to me in Kansas. Nobody I called, even rural king will ship for free anymore. I ended up looking up dealers for norwesco tanks and had one a half hour away. Or you can drive to any of there like 6-7 offices and pick up. Shipping anything bigger then a 50 was $150 each from all the big online tank distributors. What a pain. Tractor supply would only let me get one if its on the website, even though they deal with ace roto. Called corporate on that. I got mine from ag spray equipment and at less then the online plastic tank guys. It was ordered in on next truck.
FWIW I just ordered two storage tanks from rural king and the shipping was free.

mrpizzaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 04:33 PM   #1696
ericarenee
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugooch View Post
Anyone in the North GA/Tenn area.... there is a guy in Woodstock who has every type of container you can imagine for dirt cheap. He's on Craigslist with them. Its kind of creepy pulling in and seeing mountains of containers.

I got two plastic 30 gallon barrels with locking lids for $30 each. They had been used to transport bagged pharmaceuticals. (The guy can tell you exactly what they were used for)
I live in Louisville Kentucky.. Here we can get 55 gallon barrels all day everyday from 5-20 dollars each.. They were all used for Vinegar and coloring in the Bourbon Industry..

Laws prohibit them from reusing them which is Stupid in my opinion.

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/29/2017, 06:50 PM   #1697
Bluefish9
Registered Member

Selling mine if anyone is interested

Twin 35g norwesco containers, each independent of one another with dual RO/DI feeds, dual quiet one 4000 pumps, control board with switches for RODI and salt pumps, a switch for the included finnex 150w digital heater and a switch for the included korallia circulator pump. Custom 45' marine grade hose with plastic fittings!

Simply extend the hose to your system and select wether you want to pump RODI or Salt water!

Under a year old. Still clean - no odors.

$500
Prefer local pickup in NYC suburbs.

Bluefish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2017, 05:52 AM   #1698
biecacka
Registered Member

Why are you getting rid of it?

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2017, 05:59 AM   #1699
RWEngineer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpizzaface View Post
FWIW I just ordered two storage tanks from rural king and the shipping was free.
So did I. Shipped to KS

RWEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/30/2017, 10:48 AM   #1700
FLSharkvictim
Registered Member

FLSharkvictims Saltwater Mixing station

I use two 35 gallon Brute food grade cans until my Ace Moto Vertical storage container come in which should be any day now. Currently on this one I have set up every thing is 1''. One the new one I am going to be redesigning with the two Ace Moto Vertical containers everything will be 3/4''. I am going to use 6 Cepex Ball Valves and two True Union Check Valves before it hits the TEE and into my PAN WORLD PX40 water pump to stop any back siphon or contamination. Also, I just got a 6 stage new RODI system, PinPoint Salinity Monitor and a Inkbird Temp controller for my heater if needed. When it's all completed I will have around $1700 ballpark into the saltwater mixing station and it's worth every single penny. Next thing I am going to be looking into is a Spectra Pure LiterMeter® III Precision Dosing System and 2 extra Dosing Pumps for fully automated water changes.

TANK INFO: 120 MIXED REEF

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4807.jpg (61.7 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg lilly.JPG (29.7 KB, 118 views)
FLSharkvictim is offline   Reply With Quote