Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/06/2012, 11:47 AM   #151
Jerm0007
Registered Member

Gorgeous. Do you mind if I ask what you paid for it?

Jerm0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2012, 11:51 AM   #152
stickleback
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdr888 View Post
This is what he placed them in, before they were safe to go into the main tanks....he still has a few in there being treated

Anyone remember the film 'COMA'

stickleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2012, 12:01 PM   #153
D-Nak
Registered Member

WOW. That is insane -- not only the gigs but the entire operation. Thanks for sharing!

I completely agree with your thoughts on collection, transport, and quarantine. This is what is missing here in the U.S. -- an exporter/importer who understands what gigs need to survive throughout the supply chain.

I know of only one retailer who -- from what I've heard -- has a collector/exporter who can get gigs on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I think the handling process on that end is what needs improvement. I also know that there are a few folks here in the U.S. (I know of a couple in Southern CA) who are quarantining gigs with medication, but aren't sharing their "formula". Unfortunately when there is money to be made, people get a little tight-lipped. Hopefully this will change soon.

Unread 12/06/2012, 12:12 PM   #154
OrionN
Moved on

I wonder if you can get him to do a write-up on what he did and his success rate. I agree that care taken in holding and transport and especially antibiotic treatment if needed is the key to successfully import these guys. Success for him is not the same as success for us. But we need for him (LFS) to be successful in order to have a chance to attempt to be successful in keeping this anemone.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2012, 12:19 PM   #155
OrionN
Moved on

Even with having two healthy gigantea at this time, I am envious. If I am naywhere in England, I would drive to this store and pick a few.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 12/06/2012, 12:31 PM   #156
emdr888
Registered Member

Gigs are very rare here in the UK (we're usually green with envy with the gigs we see you guys get) and especially healthy ones, it's just this guy has managed to do something unique....he has a marine biologist collecting the gigs and looking after them the other end and then his set up here in the UK.

Unread 12/06/2012, 01:14 PM   #157
emdr888
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I wonder if you can get him to do a write-up on what he did and his success rate. I agree that care taken in holding and transport and especially antibiotic treatment if needed is the key to successfully import these guys. Success for him is not the same as success for us. But we need for him (LFS) to be successful in order to have a chance to attempt to be successful in keeping this anemone.
Not sure if he'll want to give up all his secrets, but i'll ask.

He brought in 50 and he had 5 die....a few of them dead on arrival. Still early days though as i think this is the 3rd week.

As well as antibiotics he uses iodine, he said he dropped some directly on an open wound to heal it.

All separated in the trays so they didn't infect each other and all water passed through strong UV

Perhaps Stickleback can add more

Unread 12/06/2012, 01:36 PM   #158
Jerm0007
Registered Member

D-Nak, does your supplier you spoke of in the US sell Gigs? Does he have a website or anything? Just hoping for a way to get a healthy one.

Unread 12/06/2012, 03:17 PM   #159
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm0007 View Post
D-Nak, does your supplier you spoke of in the US sell Gigs? Does he have a website or anything? Just hoping for a way to get a healthy one.
Sorry -- to clarify -- I know of folks who are trying different methods of quarantine but none of which are 100% successful. Therefore, I can't recommend any suppliers/resources who could provide you with a "proven" gigantea.

I think I mentioned before (on this thread possibly) that to the best of my knowledge,we here in the U.S. don't have anything close to the operation in the U.K. Meaning, we don't have a wholesaler or retailer that specializes in importing anemones -- particularly gigantea and magnifica -- that require special care. In some ways I am surprised, since I know that if I were to build out a wholesale anemone operation, it would look a lot like the photos of the U.K. store.

Unread 12/06/2012, 03:30 PM   #160
Catchoftheday
Registered Member

here is a few pictures of mine it is bleach but doing really really well it has been all most a week has the person i got it from had it under pore lighting

Catchoftheday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2012, 08:05 AM   #161
elegance coral
They call me EC

My boy came over and shot a short clip of my gig and adult picassos.

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.

Last edited by elegance coral; 12/08/2012 at 08:14 AM.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2012, 08:12 AM   #162
elegance coral
They call me EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickleback View Post
Out of the 50 that the guy brought in, I believe most have so far made it. emdr888 may be able to correct it on that. He had at least 30 available when I saw them.

Much of the success he has had I think, is possibly down to the holding process before shipping and the care given upon delivery.

They are held in open top vats which get natural sunlight for around 2 weeks.
The vats are fed constantly with fresh natural sea water.
The nems are not fed.
This allows them to recover from collection, purge any digested or undigested food and makes sure they are in top health before shipping. Purging also means there less waste for the nem to foul its shipping water. The natural sunlight also helps against Zoa loss.
Upon delivery the nems were treated with anti-biotic’s and then placed in individual trays each with strong UV sterilised water feeds.

They all looked very healthy and most if not all were eating.

I came away with a few.
UMMMMM That doesn't quite make since.

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
Unread 12/08/2012, 08:22 AM   #163
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegance coral View Post
Stop be so picky
He mean they were not fed during quarantine/treatment. Now in DT for sale they are all eating.

EC,
That is one nice Gigantea you got.

Unread 12/08/2012, 09:04 AM   #164
stickleback
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegance coral View Post

I mean the vats are fed with natural sea water constantly (No Food)

Nice gig by the way Elegance.. If those are adult picasso's, what size it the gig??

stickleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2012, 09:15 AM   #165
God.
Registered Member

Quick thought on gigs in the US.

They are out there. I can get one into my work (lfs) almost everyweek from a rather large and rather well known wholesaler. Granted they arent listed as a S. Gigantea.. nor are they everr not bleached. I have a yellow one right now in our DT that I treated with cipro (thanks Minh ) its bleached but I think in about 90 days it will be good as new.

Going on 4 weeks after 5 days of treatment at 37.5 mg/gal . Yes thats 1and1/2 250mg pills per 10 gal dosed nightly after light cycle.

Also im located in the Midwest

God. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2012, 12:42 PM   #166
schprock
Premium Member

For those looking for giganteas, one of our RC members have listed some in the for sale forum

schprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2012, 08:22 PM   #167
Reef1589
Anemones for life

im quite sad minh has beat me to the green one my search still continues haha.. but im happy for him still though.

Reef1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2012, 07:42 AM   #168
ct_vol
Reefing On My Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef1589 View Post
im quite sad minh has beat me to the green one my search still continues haha.. but im happy for him still though.
At least you two both have healthy gigs... I am still left without. Happy for both of you though...

Volunteers, Blackhawks, Titans, Cubs!!!!

Current Tank Info: 185g waiting to be built, 120g SPS/Anemone Reef, 120g SCA in the works, 58g mixed reef w/ 6x39w T5, 125g grow out w/ Reef Breeders
ct_vol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/09/2012, 08:11 AM   #169
elegance coral
They call me EC

Quote:
Stop be so picky
He mean they were not fed during quarantine/treatment. Now in DT for sale they are all eating.
Not being picky. Just get confused easy.

Quote:
EC,
That is one nice Gigantea you got.
Thank you Sir.

Unread 12/09/2012, 08:12 AM   #170
OrionN
Moved on

As of yesterday, he still have one healthy Gigantea for sale, very reasonable price I would add.

Unread 12/09/2012, 08:15 AM   #171
elegance coral
They call me EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickleback View Post
Nice gig by the way Elegance.. If those are adult picasso's, what size it the gig??
Thank you.
When the gig is folded up, like in the video, it's probably ~18 to ~20 inches. When it spreads out and lays flat, it's about 24 inches.

Unread 12/09/2012, 09:10 AM   #172
emdr888
Registered Member

Very nice gig EC! I hope my gig gets as healthy as yours.....fingers are crossed...5th day in.

Unread 12/09/2012, 09:54 AM   #173
Reef1589
Anemones for life

Quote:
As of yesterday, he still have one healthy Gigantea for sale, very reasonable price I would add.
ya but ive been on the hunt for a green one ahha :P i got too many purple's.. im excited to see how this green one does for you though. you know when you'll be getting it?

Reef1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2012, 08:15 AM   #174
ILLiDaN
Clownfish Fanatic

maybe i did not catch it but what antibiotics are the norm to treating these specimen?

ILLiDaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2012, 11:39 AM   #175
Jerm0007
Registered Member

How do I find the one left for sale? sorry I am new, where do I look for the gig for sale?