Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/28/2018, 09:38 AM   #1
samhadley2
Registered Member

Ai Hydra 26 HD vs Ecotech Radion XR15W G4 PRO

Really struggling to decide which LED fixture to get for my new 18" cube tank.

Both are very similar in price, however the 26 has two pucks whereas the Radion only has one. As I'd only be buying one fixture I'm worried that the one Radion might cause some shadowing effects whereas the Hydra would be less noticeable.

I plan on keeping a mixed tank with a hand full of SPS but nothing too serious, an anemone and clam are also on the wish-list but I think either light would support my needs.

The tank is also in my room so noise is a big factor when it comes to choosing. Any advice anyone can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

samhadley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 10:04 AM   #2
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Out of those 2 options I would choose the Hydra.
You'll get better spread like you say since it has dual pucks. And you wont need to buy anything else to program/control it. The Radion you would beed to plug into your PC to program unless you buy a reef link.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 10:22 AM   #3
PanchoG
Registered Member

+1
I have the AI Hydra 26 and they do an awesome job on both SPS and LPS. Very easy to use and program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PanchoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 10:24 AM   #4
samhadley2
Registered Member

Yeah I am leaning more towards the Hydra. They're slightly cheaper and I don't really want to spend the extra £100 on a reef link although I will be getting an MP10, I can't see the advantage of linking my pumps and lights.

Thanks for your advice

Unread 02/28/2018, 10:47 AM   #5
alton
Registered Member

Looking at longevity I have a friend who still uses his G1, I have another friend who has replaced his pucks on his AI's a few times. I do have to say his last purchase of AI's have lasted longer than the earlier generations. He uses 6 on a 5' x 30" x 27" tall tank. On another note I just spoke with a member of our local reef club who was picking up the PAR meter and he loves his XR15 G4 Pro.

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 03:11 PM   #6
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

While I would be inclined to go with the Hydra 26, might wanna give that Radion in conjunction with a "diffuser" lense cover a second consideration. The PAR drop off was only about 15-20% at 100% settings but The PAR through out the tank was much more evenly spread and higher over all with less shadowing and hot spots.

I was a heart beat away from going with Hydra 26's but now I am considering the Radions really hard again...Man sometimes this hobby really sucks - so many options!

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2018, 08:31 PM   #7
samhadley2
Registered Member

Ahhhh!! this thread was meant to make it easier to decide haha. I had forgotten about the diffuser, considering the radions again now. Does anyone know of the xr15's being noisy/loud?

Unread 03/01/2018, 04:06 PM   #8
samhadley2
Registered Member

To add a little more to the mix, I have found a great deal with a second hand Kessil A360WE with mount and controller for the same as a Hydra 26 - any thoughts?

Unread 03/01/2018, 04:13 PM   #9
alton
Registered Member

okay my buddy sent me his info; 50 gallon 27" x 21" x 19" - at the edges the par reading is 125 on top, 100 in the middle and 95 on the bottom with the XR15 set at 65% overall

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2018, 12:30 AM   #10
golfish
Team RC Member

I run 2x26s on a 48"x26" tank, the coverage is amazing.

Current Tank Info: TOTM curse
golfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2018, 02:13 AM   #11
moondoggy4
Registered Member

too many choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhadley2 View Post
To add a little more to the mix, I have found a great deal with a second hand Kessil A360WE with mount and controller for the same as a Hydra 26 - any thoughts?
Aah you found the rabbit hole It can get overwhelming with all of the choices. I have a Ai Prime HD and a Kessil 160 I like the AI HD color temperament better than the Kessil. The AB+ is really nice.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 06:04 AM   #12
samhadley2
Registered Member

I think I’m gojng to go with the Kessil A360, I’ve found one with a goose neck and controller all for £250 where as the Hydra + mount was just under £400 and the xr15’s were around £430 all in. Thanks for everyone’s input really appreciate it! May start a build thread if things go well!!

Tags
ai hydra, led, lighting, nano, radion