Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/07/2017, 10:37 AM   #201
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

Thanks for the tips and messages. Removing more than half the sandbed has helped. Dinos have reduced dramatically. They still persist on the remaining sand areas. I aim to remove the rest of the sand tonight.

Zack, I almost did what you describe...ie dosing Chemiclean etc...I too noticed some Cyano alongside the Dinos. However, I didn't do the 5 days full black out. I'm going to finish off trying the sandbed removal...BTW the amount of crap in the shallow SB is crazy...yuck. If this doesn't work, I'll allow the corals some time to recover and then follow your method but also adding a good UV unit.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 11:39 AM   #202
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
Thanks for the tips and messages. Removing more than half the sandbed has helped. Dinos have reduced dramatically. They still persist on the remaining sand areas. I aim to remove the rest of the sand tonight.

Zack, I almost did what you describe...ie dosing Chemiclean etc...I too noticed some Cyano alongside the Dinos. However, I didn't do the 5 days full black out. I'm going to finish off trying the sandbed removal...BTW the amount of crap in the shallow SB is crazy...yuck. If this doesn't work, I'll allow the corals some time to recover and then follow your method but also adding a good UV unit.
That 5 days is crtical... That full blackout with the cardboard is critical too. You'll notice that you won as soon as you take it off and the dino turned white

Zacktosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/07/2017, 12:42 PM   #203
glaukos
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure removing sand will help a lot buddy.Best of luck.
SSB indeed holds a lot more crap that someone would expect.

Will be waiting for some great news

Unread 11/09/2017, 12:26 AM   #204
MichaelW
Registered Member

I have been at war with the same **** for over a year. It basically wiped out the whole tank at one point. I did blackout for weeks... No good they came back. They grow in my sump with no light so.... Tried h202.... Came back... Tried going really dirty...... Tried going really clean. ...
Right now they are not too bad.... But still there and it seems like they will just bloom up again at any time really.
If you dont have much in the tank i would almost just bleach it all and start over..... If it wasnt for my stupid fish i would probably do this.

MichaelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 04:39 AM   #205
Big E
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your problems sahin.

Your reboots/new starts are always a notch above, so I'm sure you'll come back stronger than ever.

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 05:34 AM   #206
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Sorry to hear about this turn of events. Have you considered ozone or are you by chance running ozone already? I ask because I used to have dino issues myself. That problem stopped as soon as I started using an ozone generator. The ozone strips all dinoflagellate spores that live in the water column.

I also use a geosreef ozone reactor, ORP probe, and controller in conjunction with. This is an effective method to eliminate dinos.

Last edited by ReefKeeper64; 11/09/2017 at 05:49 AM.
ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 07:10 AM   #207
Zacktosterone
Registered Member

You shouldn't consider restarting..... You'll just get it again.... And for what?

Zacktosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/09/2017, 07:38 AM   #208
Ucantwin
Registered Member

I don't think ozone is 100% effective against dinos. D2mini ran ozone on his tank and he still got dinos that he could not get rid of.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2017, 01:36 AM   #209
ReefKeeper64
Wanna be a reefkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
I don't think ozone is 100% effective against dinos. D2mini ran ozone on his tank and he still got dinos that he could not get rid of.
Keep in mind that not much of anything in this hobby is 100% effective. Hobbiests have bad experiences with good methods often. Take calcium reactors for example but there are dozens more. At the orp level I run, and for the number of hours a day I run it, I have found ozone to be indeed effective. I used to have dino issues prior and they disappeared soon after. That’s just an observation but it’s one experienced by several. UV is also proven effective against dinos.

ReefKeeper64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ati t5, biopellets, ecotech vectra, evolution aqua, sps