Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Avast Marine Works
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/02/2016, 09:28 PM   #1
mr9iron
15& Over Club

Peristaltic pump

I have the older peristaltic pump with the blue cover which recently quit pulling Kalk from my reservoir. So, I figured it was due to needing the new neoprene tubing, as the motor still worked, and made the order with you to replace it. However, I cannot seem to get the pump to pull after installing the new tubing. The pump spins, but nothing happens. Any ideas?

Current Tank Info: Frag tank at the moment, planning another
mr9iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2016, 09:33 PM   #2
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

Hi Vince,

How long is the run of tubing to the pump input? Is there significant head pressure that the pump is trying to overcome to pull water up? The tubing is the same even though the heads are different, but can you check the wall thickness of the new and old tubing to make sure they at least appear similar? Also, it's possible you have a bad connection at the barb fitting/compression nut on the intake side that is causing the pump to lose its suction.

ctenophore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2016, 02:01 PM   #3
mr9iron
15& Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctenophore View Post
Hi Vince,

How long is the run of tubing to the pump input? Is there significant head pressure that the pump is trying to overcome to pull water up? The tubing is the same even though the heads are different, but can you check the wall thickness of the new and old tubing to make sure they at least appear similar? Also, it's possible you have a bad connection at the barb fitting/compression nut on the intake side that is causing the pump to lose its suction.
The run on the tubing is only about 2 feet, do I don't think head pressure is a problem. I checked the tubing and they appear to be about the same thickness as well. I note that with the new tubing I can not replace the tubing exactly like the older type with the little pieces that slide into the slots. I wonder if that makes any difference. How would one know if the compression fitting is bad?

Unread 05/04/2016, 12:32 PM   #4
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Hi Vince,

What type of tubing do you have connected to the pump? Is it polyethylene tubing like used for rodi? That is the only type that will work with the John Guest connections on the new fittings.

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2016, 03:30 PM   #5
mr9iron
15& Over Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avast Marine View Post
Hi Vince,

What type of tubing do you have connected to the pump? Is it polyethylene tubing like used for rodi? That is the only type that will work with the John Guest connections on the new fittings.
Dan, I think I got it fixed now. Thanks for the help.

Unread 05/09/2016, 01:57 PM   #6
mjc0760
Registered Member

Hi Dan. Just got your email re the likelihood that I need to replace the tubing in my peristaltic pump. I placed an order... Is the repair as simple as popping off the front cover?

Aqueon 90g RR, Trigger Systems Emerald 34 sump, 2 Radion XR30w G3 PROs, Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer, MaxSpect Gyre XF130 and XF230, Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0 Return, Apex Controller, Avast ATO, BRS Media R

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon mixed reef

Last edited by mjc0760; 05/09/2016 at 02:15 PM.
mjc0760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 11:54 AM   #7
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

You can remove the fittings from the tubing set on one side (will make sense when you get them) and with the pump on you can feed the tubing through this way since the pump will push the tubing along for you. Alternately you can open up the box and loosen the 3 screws on the back of the pump housing which will allow you to remove the pump cover and you can replace it by swapping out tube sets without removing the fittings.

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2016, 06:26 PM   #8
mjc0760
Registered Member

Thanks Dan!

Aqueon 90g RR, Trigger Systems Emerald 34 sump, 2 Radion XR30w G3 PROs, Vertex Omega 150 Skimmer, MaxSpect Gyre XF130 and XF230, Sicce Syncra Silent 4.0 Return, Apex Controller, Avast ATO, BRS Media R

Unread 05/13/2016, 07:14 AM   #9
mjc0760
Registered Member

I got the new tubing yesterday and replaced the old one last night. I went with pulling the pump apart instead of messing with those pesky little clamps... it was a piece of cake! I wish more tank projects were this easy!