Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2018, 10:51 AM   #1
saf1
Registered Member

Atlantic or Kole Tang - does order matter?

Hello Everyone. I'm considering adding an Atlantic and a Kole tang to my 210 gallon mixed reef to be. It is currently cycling but my question is does the order matter for both of these guys? I wouldn't think so but I've never owned an Atlantic Blue before so figured I would check just to be safe.

I was going to add a Naso but I don't think there is enough room with regards to a swim lane. My tank is 54" W x 30" T x 30" D. I'm even wondering about the Atlantic...

Anyway if I do go this route is there a preferred order or does it matter? I was going to obtain a small Atlantic first so I could watch the color morph / change. But I think it is larger than the Kole so maybe he should be added first.

Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 11:22 AM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

The Atlantic blue will be more aggressive than the kole, so in general I would add a kole to a system first, or at the same time.

I'm not sure about those dimensions for the Atlantic blue, however.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 02:09 PM   #3
scooter31707
Registered Member

I would not attempt the Atlantic Blue in that size tank. They can be aggressive.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 02:25 PM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

Atlantic Blue get really big fairly quickly

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 07:08 PM   #5
saf1
Registered Member

Thanks all. I was not sure of their projected "size" in the end so was just on my "wish" list more or less. That is the one issue of having a deeper and taller tank - it cut down on my actual race way swim lane Bummer, I sort of liked that one.

I could do the traditional yellow but I was hoping to have something a bit different that isn't so expensive. I don't see the Atlantics so much and I liked their color. Thanks for the advice - I will go do some more searching.

Glad I posted.

Unread 02/15/2018, 08:58 AM   #6
nereefpat
Registered Member

Good idea to check.

A purple tang might be a good compromise. They are prettier anyway...my opinion of course.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 09:44 AM   #7
anbosu
Registered Member

I have not kept the Atlantic blue tang, but I've heard they are very aggressive. I think a tennenti would do well in a tank that size if you want to get something that's a little less common.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 11:55 AM   #8
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Good idea to check.

A purple tang might be a good compromise. They are prettier anyway...my opinion of course.
Nothing wrong with purple and opinions are always welcome I am not a fan of the price although I have seen them on sale. So that is a option and you are right. They are pretty and have a lot of color. To be honest it was not on the list mostly due to price. That and I was going for something a bit different while not too expensive is all.

Thanks again - and it is on the list

Unread 02/15/2018, 11:57 AM   #9
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbosu View Post
I have not kept the Atlantic blue tang, but I've heard they are very aggressive. I think a tennenti would do well in a tank that size if you want to get something that's a little less common.
Ignorance on my part, but is that the Lieutenant tang? At least that is what returned when I searched. That is a pretty fish also. In fact, I'm going to add that also to the list. Tan with a blue hue and it said streamers? Thanks - I'll do some image searches on it. I like it.

Thanks.

Unread 02/15/2018, 12:01 PM   #10
anbosu
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
Ignorance on my part, but is that the Lieutenant tang? At least that is what returned when I searched. That is a pretty fish also. In fact, I'm going to add that also to the list. Tan with a blue hue and it said streamers? Thanks - I'll do some image searches on it. I like it.

Thanks.
Yes, that's the one. Sometimes people call them vampire tangs too. In my experience they are pretty friendly with other fish, and I think they look cool. I currently have one with a powder blue and purple tang in my 360.

anbosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 04:39 PM   #11
Mike Ordner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf1 View Post
Nothing wrong with purple and opinions are always welcome I am not a fan of the price although I have seen them on sale. So that is a option and you are right. They are pretty and have a lot of color. To be honest it was not on the list mostly due to price. That and I was going for something a bit different while not too expensive is all.

Thanks again - and it is on the list
NY Aquatics had purple tangs for $49.

Mike Ordner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 05:30 PM   #12
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ordner View Post
NY Aquatics had purple tangs for $49.
I saw that last night. I thought it was another site also that some said not to order from (it wasn't NY Aquatics). I've heard or read I should say on this forum people highly recommending NY Aquatics and their success rate. That is a great deal and i would probably pick one up for that price. North of 150 though is a bit out of my reach at the moment. Or not until I get a better QT process going.

Edit: ty for source btw - I've added their site to my bookmarks

Unread 02/15/2018, 11:08 PM   #13
Reef908
Registered Member

I got my regal angel from ny aquatics and it’s a great fish. However I’ve tried buying from them again and shipping is insane. They wanted $110+ for shipping on a $220 order for 3 fish. Shipping a 5” regal angel in December 2016 was farrrrrr less and he cost around the same dollar amount of fish I’m trying to order.

Unread 02/16/2018, 09:14 AM   #14
saf1
Registered Member

@Reef908 - that is what I noticed. In fact, I thought they mostly, or only, shipped on the East side for that reason. Also regal is on my list so I've been reading and staying current on the thread here for that reason.

I was looking at the Lieutenant tang and I do like it. However, it seems that it may also be too large of a tang for my 210'ish tank. I was looking at some videos last night and it looks similar to the Naso. It is pretty though and different.