Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/10/2018, 11:46 AM   #1
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Thoughts on a dwarf angel reef?

I’m considering blending two of my favorite things into one tank...sps and dwarf angels. Primarily having a number of dwarf angels and sps in a 120 connected to system with roughly 400 gallons total. I’ve seen a few videos of sps reefs with a number of dwarf angels in them and they seem fine. I can live with some nipping and lack of polyp extension for a trade off of cool angels in the tank. I guess my question is can I add say 5-6 dwarf angels together in a 120 with plenty of open rock work and be ok or do you think there will be death due to a number of angels in close confines?

Unread 02/10/2018, 06:23 PM   #2
Robby2782
Registered Member

a 120 might not be large enough for that many dwarf angels, but I'd say up to 3 max based on my experience keeping them together.

Robby2782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 06:25 PM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

5-6 in a 120 does seem like pushing it. I have four, but in a 450, and they mostly coexist ...... mostly.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/10/2018, 08:53 PM   #4
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Now that I think about it 5-6 might be a bit much. If I added three what would people suggest?

Unread 02/10/2018, 08:55 PM   #5
tom obrecht
Registered Member

I like multicolor, multibar and regals but know they are harder to keep. Any others that might be better options?

Unread 02/10/2018, 10:55 PM   #6
humaguy
Premium Member

I think I had 24 in my 125 qt

humaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 09:45 AM   #7
Cliving1
Registered Member

Watanabe angel would also work. What about a flame for color? Eibli dont get huge either

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 08:33 PM   #8
ntropics
Registered Member

I had a bicolor, coral beauty and ferrugata in the same 180 without any problem Lots of live rock for hiding, though.

ntropics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 12:52 PM   #9
scooter31707
Registered Member

I'm assuming the 120 is a 4ft tank. I would recommend only 2. I have a 8ft 240 and have 4 dwarf angels and they still go after each other when they see each other. I have plenty of rockwork. In a that 120, there will be plenty of opportunity to see each other. IMO, dwarf angels are very active fish swimming the whole tank (not stuck to 1 region of the tank). Trust me they will fine each other.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 09:55 PM   #10
OrionN
Moved on

I would get three of the same species. Then you have a harem and they will be fine. I have two Flame angel in a 65 gal tank without problem. They are maturing. Already I can tell one Turned male and the other is a female. I am sure they will spawn in the next few months. Mating ritual of these angels are very interesting

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 07:27 PM   #11
tom obrecht
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I would get three of the same species. Then you have a harem and they will be fine. I have two Flame angel in a 65 gal tank without problem. They are maturing. Already I can tell one Turned male and the other is a female. I am sure they will spawn in the next few months. Mating ritual of these angels are very interesting
That’s a great idea! Thanks!

Unread 02/15/2018, 07:38 PM   #12
OrionN
Moved on

Make sure you get only one male at the most. They are dimorphic so you can tell male from female (flame angels)

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 02/15/2018, 08:33 PM   #13
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Make sure you get only one male at the most. They are dimorphic so you can tell male from female (flame angels)
Or one could obtain them at a very small size ensuring they are females as most are protogynous (i.e. start out as females) aren't they?

I have paired cherubs, coral beauties, and flames this way - pairing a larger one (still young though) with a smaller one that has also not matured yet.

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 09:02 PM   #14
hotdogoramer
Registered Member

if you like flamebacks you can get away with groups of 4 or more. I have a reefer 425xl and I had 4 in there for about a year trouble free. my ac capacitor blew and I lost them all. but this spring when they are back in season im going to buy 4 or 5 more and try it again. ill be sure to post pics for everyone to see them.

hotdogoramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 09:27 PM   #15
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
I posted this sometime ago in another thread. Re-post it here. Hope this help

The coloration and the amount of blue or black stripe is not as accurate becasue these varies according to locality. The shape of the fish and the shape of the fins are constant and can be use to sex Flame angels.