Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2012, 10:20 AM   #51
saltyjo
Registered Member

Well I wont get a chance to attempt to raise batch 3. This morning I looked in on my tank and my male was playing in the anenome with my female clown and not taking care of the eggs as usual. This batch of eggs looked funny to me by the 2nd day. Usually they go from bright orange to lighter orange then brownish then black as the little fry develop inside. These ones started to look lighter orange then alot were white by the second and third day. The male abandoned them but I dont know what happened.....
Also my bucket of rotifers is contaminated!! Somehow brine shrimp got in there as I observed some adults swimming through the rots. I really dont know what to do with it now. Do I start my rotifer culture over??? Any advice anyone can give will be great.

saltyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2012, 10:57 AM   #52
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Jo, It sounds like they didn’t get properly fertilized. The white you see is mostly likely fungus. They will spawn again and you will get another chance.

As for your rotifers you have plenty of time to start a new culture. Use your sieve and sieve them out. Put them in a small container of new salt water and remove any brine shrimp with a syringe then start a new bucket.

If you do not test for it, DON'T dose it.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Sport507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2012, 10:14 PM   #53
just1327
Registered Member

clownfish

Nice what day did they hatch

just1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2012, 09:02 AM   #54
saltyjo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1327 View Post
Nice what day did they hatch

My first batch is 24 days and my second batch is 11 days. I have only 4 left from each batch. I did have a loss yesterday morning with my first batch. Batch 1 has their first stripes and looks like little tiny clown fish. Batch 2 is going through meta and I hope for no losses during meta.
My 3rd clutch did not hatch due to fertilization not taking place or something. So they were supposed to hatch tomorow night so I will be looking for my clowns to lay eggs again around the 25th through the 27th.
Thanks for following along.
~Jo

Unread 05/21/2012, 05:54 PM   #55
saltyjo
Registered Member

Unhappy The Hardest Part of Raising them is losing any!

I dont even know how to write this except to say I have had devastaing loss today and I am majorly bumming. My first batch I lost 2 today and now there is only 2 left. My 2nd batch I lost 2 and there is only 2 left. My 1st batch I have kept in the basement and after we turned on the Air Condidtioning for the first time, the temp in the house dropped too low today and the stupid heater didnt keep up. I came home for lunch to find the temp on the tank a chilly 75 and 1 dead baby. Then after I moved that tank upstairs it wasnt soon enough after work I lost another. They would have been 25 days old today. The 2nd batch is hooked to my DT and is going through meta I was hoping for no losses but when you only have 4 and you lose 2 it is even more sad.

Unread 05/21/2012, 07:31 PM   #56
Clownfishfan
Registered Member

I'm sorry I hope everything turns around soon!

Clownfishfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2012, 03:03 PM   #57
westohooligan
Registered Member

Hang in there! I only have 1 left out of my first batch. At least your clowns are spawning...mine haven't spawned in over a month. I have a batch of ocellaris about to hatch, but my onyx perc/ocellaris, original pair, never even try anymore.

westohooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2012, 03:11 PM   #58
saltyjo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westohooligan View Post
Hang in there! I only have 1 left out of my first batch. At least your clowns are spawning...mine haven't spawned in over a month. I have a batch of ocellaris about to hatch, but my onyx perc/ocellaris, original pair, never even try anymore.
Thanks for the encouragement I am still upset. I now have only 1 left from my first batch and 2 from my 2nd. My 1 is 26 days old today and dare I say he seems to be doing okay. At least he seems to be eating and swimming like normal. I did a partial water change yesterday and moved the tank to a warmer location. I do hope I get another shot at this again and my parent clowns don't decide to shut down the baby factory like yours did.
Best of luck with your ocellaris batch!!! I will have my fingers crossed for you.
~Jo

Unread 05/22/2012, 04:51 PM   #59
Lukel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyjo View Post
Thanks for the encouragement I am still upset. I now have only 1 left from my first batch and 2 from my 2nd. My 1 is 26 days old today and dare I say he seems to be doing okay. At least he seems to be eating and swimming like normal. I did a partial water change yesterday and moved the tank to a warmer location. I do hope I get another shot at this again and my parent clowns don't decide to shut down the baby factory like yours did.
Best of luck with your ocellaris batch!!! I will have my fingers crossed for you.
~Jo
If it makes you feel any better, i lost all 57 of my clowns in the last 36 hours,
worse than that, i don't even know why...

Current Tank Info: 220 gal sps dominated
Lukel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2012, 05:03 PM   #60
Sport507
~Just a Farm Boy~

Quote:
I dont even know how to write this except to say I have had devastaing loss today and I am majorly bumming. My first batch I lost 2 today and now there is only 2 left. My 2nd batch I lost 2 and there is only 2 left. My 1st batch I have kept in the basement and after we turned on the Air Condidtioning for the first time, the temp in the house dropped too low today and the stupid heater didnt keep up. I came home for lunch to find the temp on the tank a chilly 75 and 1 dead baby. Then after I moved that tank upstairs it wasnt soon enough after work I lost another. They would have been 25 days old today. The 2nd batch is hooked to my DT and is going through meta I was hoping for no losses but when you only have 4 and you lose 2 it is even more sad.
Jo....On my reef tanks, nems tank, nursery tanks and grow out tanks, every tank, I use a temp controller like this and it's ok to have a heater over what the book calls for. For me at least I go double what the minimum calls out for the tank size. This controller is cheap and effective, my tanks do not vary more than 1 degree ever unless the power goes out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Temp control.jpg (41.0 KB, 45 views)

If you do not test for it, DON'T dose it.

Indiana INDMAS Member
Sport507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2012, 07:32 PM   #61
saltyjo
Registered Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukel View Post
If it makes you feel any better, i lost all 57 of my clowns in the last 36 hours,
worse than that, i don't even know why...
Luke OMG I am so sorry. I dont feel better I feel worse for both of us. Your babies were so amazing and around 52-53 days right? This is part of the hobby that I hate!!! I dont mind learning curves and making mistakes but this really sucks beyond words. Especially when you dont know what happened.
All I can say is thank you for all of your advice and support!
So sorry for your loss.
~Jo

Unread 05/22/2012, 07:42 PM   #62
saltyjo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport507 View Post
Jo....On my reef tanks, nems tank, nursery tanks and grow out tanks, every tank, I use a temp controller like this and it's ok to have a heater over what the book calls for. For me at least I go double what the minimum calls out for the tank size. This controller is cheap and effective, my tanks do not vary more than 1 degree ever unless the power goes out.
Thanks again for the great device advice! I saw a similar one on Bulk Reef supply. Is 50 bucks about the right price? I must order one for my next batch. I am not about to give up yet.
Thanks again for all of your advice and encouragement, I really appreciate it.
~Jo

Unread 05/22/2012, 08:07 PM   #63
Lukel
Registered Member

Quote:
Luke OMG I am so sorry. I dont feel better I feel worse for both of us. Your babies were so amazing and around 52-53 days right? This is part of the hobby that I hate!!! I dont mind learning curves and making mistakes but this really sucks beyond words. Especially when you dont know what happened.
All I can say is thank you for all of your advice and support!
So sorry for your loss.
~Jo
Like you say, part of the hobby, learning curve..... my good luck streak had to end somewhere, this was only my second batch, i still have lots to learn, i should have stayed in hypo salinity, i think it was some form of parasite....
anyways.... don't want to jack your thread....

Current Tank Info: 220 gal sps dominated
Lukel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2012, 06:55 AM   #64
saltyjo
Registered Member

Todays update, the last clown from my first batch is gone this morning. He ate well for me and an hour later as I looked in to get ready to to a water change it was dead on the bottom of the tank. Needless to say tank is now empty and clean for the first time in a month. : ( I have just one left in my 16 day old tank. I put the live rock from the first tank in that one and it is still on the continuous drip system hooked to my DT. Fingers crossed breath not being held!
Advice for any of you just begining to explore the rearing part of this hobby, don't become too emotionally attached to your little fry or you will end up having some real bad days.
~Jo

Unread 05/27/2012, 06:57 AM   #65
saltyjo
Registered Member

My little guy from batch 2 still alive and kicking. 18 days old today.
In my DT my parent clowns have laid eggs in a new place. My female usually hangs out in my RBTA but my male usually only plays in the nem in between clutches. I expected my female to lay eggs on the other side of the tank in their usual spot by Monday, but last night I noticed my male has not left the nem. Under the nem in a low spot there he is guarding a new clutch of eggs.
The only thing I hate is it will be hard to watch the development of the eggs due to where the nest is located.

Unread 05/27/2012, 07:13 AM   #66
saltyjo
Registered Member

Nest Guarded by Male

Photobucket

Unread 05/27/2012, 07:15 AM   #67
saltyjo
Registered Member

Female and top of Nem

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Unread 06/02/2012, 04:44 PM   #68
saltyjo
Registered Member

One little clown fry

My sole surviving clown fry from batch 2 has made it to Day 25! I am not really sure if the clutch of eggs that was laid on the 27 is going to be very viable. Too many of the eggs looked white although some are developing and I can see eyes. Not sure if I am gonna go fish on Monday nite or not. How many hobbiest breeders will set up a tank for just a few possibles????

Unread 06/07/2012, 07:00 PM   #69
saltyjo
Registered Member

Update: my single little guy from batch 2 has made it the farthest I have gotten raising fry so far. 30 days and seems to be doing well.Eating Oto and crushed Marine Flakes.
No new batches to report on however my parent clowns laid eggs again tonight.

Unread 06/07/2012, 07:30 PM   #70
Chelle's Ocean
Registered Member

Congrats - on the single guy
It definitely is a great journey- whether you have 1 or 1000 survive, you learn alot. Great pics-

Unread 06/07/2012, 08:02 PM   #71
siobhan2086
Moved On

Glad to hear the little guy is doing good. Looking forward to hearing about your next batch

siobhan2086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2012, 11:24 AM   #72
saltyjo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhan2086 View Post
Glad to hear the little guy is doing good. Looking forward to hearing about your next batch
Thanks Siobhan,
I hope I now have enough info to get a big batch and grow them out. I think I will be excited with anything more than 10 .

Unread 07/15/2012, 07:50 AM   #73
saltyjo
Registered Member

My little clown is now 69 days old today. We have been calling him Solo cause he is the one and only one I have had sucess with. However he is doing really well and eating what ever I offer him. Flake, frozen bbs, and cyclopeeze.
My clowns parents have seemed to take a break from the baby making business. After Solo's nest they decided to host my RBT instead of laying in their usual spot on the other side of the tank. Then they layed their eggs just under the nem. At first the nests were looking different, (lots of white eggs) then they just quit laying. I thought it was because of the male was messing around in the nem rather than fertilizing the eggs. However he would take care of them for a few days until they turned all white then disappeared. It has been since the middle of June since their last batch.
I have been feeding them really well, small amounts several time a day and with a variety. I feed squid, shrimp, mysids, cyclopeeze, brine, and krill. I always add garlic to their food. I would really like another shot at raising more than just Solo, any thoughts how I can get them going again?

Unread 07/22/2012, 08:08 AM   #74
saltyjo
Registered Member

If Sucess is measured in numbers then ONE is the correct answer. Little Solo has made it 76 days and yesterday he was transfered from a bare bottomed nursery tank to a well seasoned Pico tank. I held my breath when I checked on him today but, this morning he is eating well and bobbing around in the current!
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Unread 07/22/2012, 08:19 AM   #75
acabgd
Registered Member

Congrats, this is great. Really nice success.

acabgd is offline   Reply With Quote