Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/02/2010, 02:59 PM   #1
champs215
Registered Member

Question New LTA

this is my first anemone aside from a rock flower anemone. Its a bright green middle with pink tips long tentacle anemone. He is moving around and has his mouth open. I bought it 2 nights ago and it looked really good in the LFA with a closed mouth. Any tips on how to help it find its spot and not kill anything!!!? lol, my params ph 8.1 calcium 460 nitrites and nitrates 0.

Unread 09/02/2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Newreeflady
Registered Member

sounds very stressed. Aside from the usual advice of check water parms (pH, temp, nitrates, etc), fish picking at it, flow, etc, there really isn't a lot that anyone can say to help. I would, of course, do all of the requisite testing before anything else.

A university professor went to visit a famous Zen master. While the master quietly served tea, the professor talked about Zen. The master poured the visitor’s cup to the brim, and then kept pouring. The professor watched the overflowing cup until he could no longer restrain himself. “It’s overfull! No more will go in!” the professor blurted. “You are like this cup,” the master replied, “How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup.”

Current Tank Info: 56g, 20g.
Newreeflady is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2010, 04:02 PM   #3
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

Dig a shallow depression in a low flow area,or turn off power heads and see if will attach.Did the lta come out of a tank with mhs,t5s spread out more and the lta my be stressing from the light.Just a thought.

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2010, 07:50 AM   #4
champs215
Registered Member

He was in a tank at the LFS with metal halides but he was just there for a day. so wat i did was put it all the way at the top of my tank since i only have t-5's. i would dig up that little trench but he is attached to a rock and i dont want to pull it off. should i try making it let go somehow?

Unread 09/03/2010, 10:19 AM   #5
dalston
Registered Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by champs215 View Post
He was in a tank at the LFS with metal halides but he was just there for a day. so wat i did was put it all the way at the top of my tank since i only have t-5's. i would dig up that little trench but he is attached to a rock and i dont want to pull it off. should i try making it let go somehow?
That's probably part of the problem, It may be going through light shock. I would recommend screening your tank for a few days to acclimate it to your lights. Also, M. doreensis are a sand dwelling anemone and require a nice deep sandbed to bury their foot at the rock interface. You will find once the nem starts to settle in it will probably move down to the sandbed on it's own. Because of this, make sure your powerheads are covered.

An Englishman, even if he is alone, forms an orderly queue of one - George Mikes
dalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2010, 12:48 PM   #6
champs215
Registered Member

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

this is it when i first put it into the tank. sorry for the crappy phone pic. it seems to be in the same spot since yesterday, i will try to get a pic. hopefully it found its spot for now?

Unread 09/03/2010, 01:24 PM   #7
davocean
Registered Member

Well, I agree it should have been placed in the sand bed, and that's where it will most likely go.
Also, try to give plenty of room away from other corals, they will sting each other, usually nem will win, but it may still be bothered.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2010, 02:20 PM   #8
MelloW33
Registered Member

I haven't seen any LTA's attach to the top of a rock structure, that I can remember.

Unread 11/02/2010, 12:13 AM   #9
TDesaulniers
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloW33 View Post
I haven't seen any LTA's attach to the top of a rock structure, that I can remember.
I've seen it because it was in search for stronger lighting. Ideally, it would be in a deep sand bed with sufficient lighting.

TDesaulniers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 09:50 AM   #10
BonsaiNut
Premium Member

I would recommend you put that M. doreensis down in the sand. I have never seen one look even remotely happy up in the rocks. In fact, unless their column is mostly buried, they often will contract into a ball and roll around your tank until they find a location more suitable (i.e. sandier). They are sand anemones.

Unread 11/02/2010, 11:18 PM   #11
Apercula
Registered Member

I agree that it should be on the sand, but I did have one that chose to be on my rockwork for several months.

On the rockwork.

After it moved to the sand.

Apercula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/03/2010, 08:03 AM   #12
RcToners
Registered Member

Just thought AI would share a picture of my old LTA, RIP

Perc Clowns, Mystery Wrasse, Kole Tang, Purple Tang, Diamond Watchman, Cleaner Shrimp, Tiger Pistol Shrimp, Wheelers Shrimp Goby, Bullet Goby, Purple Carpet, Red/Green Open Brains, Candy Canes, Hammer Coral, Green Orange Blue Pink & Yellow Ricordea, Orange Tube Coral, Several Multicolor Zoos, Button Polyps, & Several Multicolor Shrooms
RcToners is offline   Reply With Quote