Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/30/2011, 12:05 PM   #1
marc nichols
Premium Member

Randy, vinegar dose ?

After a dsb disruption by errant pump head and resulting issues, I began vinegar dosing two months ago. 75 g water volume. Currently dosing 20 ml/day on drip during light cycle. Would you consider this to be a heavy dosage? I'm still running GFO in a reactor. tank has been running for 5 years.

The sand bed and rock look very good now. Some coral colors still a little muted. Need to clean the glass about 4 day cycle. PO4 tests .01-.03 by Hanna colorometer. Nitrates typically run .1 to .4 per AWT analysis.

I guess my bottom line is can/should I increase the dose or stay the course? Continue GFO? Other thoughts?

Thank you as always for your sage advice.

Current Tank Info: 95gal. SPS reef system
marc nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2011, 12:27 PM   #2
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

Randy's currently on vacation.

As long as you are happy with your current nitrate level and it is being maintained by your current dose rate, I see no reason to change it.

You can stop using GFO and see if your phosphate level starts to rise. If so you will need to continue using GFO or possibly reduce your fish food phosphate added (lower phosphate foods).

If after you stop using GFO and your phosphate level remains where you want it, then I see no need to continue using GFO.

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2011, 12:41 PM   #3
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

As far as coral coloring, you may try playing with the lighting by raising and lowering coral in your tank to find their best spot. Reef tank lighting including day-length, wavelength and intensity plays a lot into coral coloration.

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2011, 01:48 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

I'd continue the GFO, and consider upping the dose a bit, if I wanted to cut down on the glass cleaning and perhaps change the coloration. All in all, the tank seems to be doing well, so I'd be cautious.

Unread 07/30/2011, 02:01 PM   #5
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I do not think it is a particularly high dosage. I've been dosing vodka and vinegar for 2.5 yrs with an organic carbon amount equivalent to about 33ml of vinegar for 75 gallons. It depends on your aquariuum and things sound pretty good. I'd keep up the gfo.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2011, 05:43 PM   #6
marc nichols
Premium Member

Thanks all. I'll tinker close to my current settings. Seems when I get anxious and try too hard, things go wrong. One of the difficult things with this obsession is that things go wrong so quick, yet take a long time to discern positive changes. Patience!!

At 3-4 years, this system had a TOTM look. Now aged, it has declined some. It appears to me that most TOTM's are relatively new w/small colonies not yet in serious conflict with neighbors. I'm well past that and most of the rock isn't removable particularly with the encrusting of various corals. Pruning works for a while but the bases get very thick eventually and the colonies don't take their natural shapes. Am I wrong to think one must take cuttings and start anew every 5 years or so?

Current Tank Info: 95gal. SPS reef system
marc nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2011, 06:19 PM   #7
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

I think you can keep them going with solid parameters .flow feeding and balance overall. There are lot's of pitfalls though and crashes are common. Cuttings are always a good idea.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote