Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2020, 08:46 AM   #1
johnstringer
Registered Member

Will it work ?

I have a 24 gallon tank with a dividing wall in the back for filtration. It has slots cut out of the wall for the overflow, and then the pump returns water after flowing through the chambers. I want to use a sump, could I put a U tube in the filtration section of the tank to a sump with a return pump ? It would be a very large overflow box, but I am just not sure the water flow would even out like with a traditional overflow box and return.

johnstringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2020, 09:25 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

I doubt it will work.
A typical over the top U-Tube arrangement has a built in section of the box to prevent siphon loss on a shut down.
You will NOT have this feature and loose siphon so it will NOT start back on its own.

Unread 01/11/2020, 11:21 AM   #3
on the spot
Registered Member

Could the tank be drilled? either through the bottom or back.

if drilling is out, you could use the U-tube option - but you would want to add the outer box similar to a typical U tube style overflow to solve the restarting problem.

HTH

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2020, 08:34 PM   #4
38bill
Registered Member

I drilled the back wall of a 29G biocube for a sump and it worked great. Actually I double drilled it so I could run one standpipe as a full shipon and the other as the emergency overflow. It ran totally silent.

38bill is offline   Reply With Quote