Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 04/13/2007, 11:28 PM   #101
NanoGurl
Moved On

Tank Update! - Sand

Okay, we were that bored and decided to open a bag of sand and place it inside the tank lol. We know how to party on a friday night

The good stuff.

40 pounds covered it between 1" and 2".

It will never ever look that clean again lol.

Unread 04/13/2007, 11:41 PM   #102
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by akbuuur
whoa! are you breeding them? i thought i had alota pets... cockatiels and my nano..
Yes, but mainly just keep them for fun. They are my favorite

Unread 04/13/2007, 11:56 PM   #103
clopez
Registered Member

I wish I had gone with a stand similar to yours. I have your previous stand design and I HATE it. Allows no room to maneuver anything. Have a 90 gallon and used a 20 gallon as the sump and really wish I had gone bigger....but now I would have to take down the entire setup to fix it.

Unread 04/13/2007, 11:59 PM   #104
Tang Salad
Algae skeptic

Looking good.

I think you'll like the Phoenix bulbs. I remember that mine seemed extra blue at first, but less so later on. I'm not sure if the color changed as they 'burned in', or maybe it was my retinas that did the burning in.

Either way, they're my favorite bulb out there, as far as looks are concerned.

Current Tank Info: TBD ADA 120-P SPS NLPS
Unread 04/14/2007, 12:01 AM   #105
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by clopez
I wish I had gone with a stand similar to yours. I have your previous stand design and I HATE it. Allows no room to maneuver anything. Have a 90 gallon and used a 20 gallon as the sump and really wish I had gone bigger....but now I would have to take down the entire setup to fix it.
Yea, I really hated the inside as well. We got a 29g in there and it was awful. I guess it worked out for us in the end. Sorry your stuck with the stand

Unread 04/14/2007, 12:03 AM   #106
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Tang Salad
Looking good.

I think you'll like the Phoenix bulbs. I remember that mine seemed extra blue at first, but less so later on. I'm not sure if the color changed as they 'burned in', or maybe it was my retinas that did the burning in.

Either way, they're my favorite bulb out there, as far as looks are concerned.
lol... i know all this UV right. With tanning and my MH's I just can't wait to see what's in my future!

Do you run anything else for accent, or just the phoenix? I was thinking about T5 actinics, but these seem to work better then I thought.

Thanks!

Unread 04/14/2007, 12:12 AM   #107
Tang Salad
Algae skeptic

Actually, I do.

I have 2 150W Phoenix, and 4 55W PC actinics. It's blue, that's for sure, but not overkill.

BTW, been meaning to ask you: I saw on your other thread that you had some Mithrax/Emerald crabs in with your eels. Did the eels eventually eat them? I'm trying to find out what happened to my Emeralds. My Zebra Moray is Suspect #1, but he insists he was out of town that day. thanks

Current Tank Info: TBD ADA 120-P SPS NLPS
Unread 04/14/2007, 02:20 AM   #108
NanoGurl
Moved On

I don't think so, I had one emerald and a bunch of blue legs. All of the blue legs surived. I found the body of the emerald crab.. i think he died from something else. He was so cool.

Zebra's are liars like that I swear :P So cool you have one too. How big is he? Got any photos?

Unread 04/14/2007, 05:20 AM   #109
guitar_lord
Registered Member

NanoGurl,

Tank looks great and I really like your flying squirells!

Quick question:
Did you wash the heck outta that sand before you put it in?
If not when you add your water you're going to have one heck of a cloudy mess! (Ive learnt from experience)

Good luck and keep up with the pics!

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef
Unread 04/14/2007, 04:43 PM   #110
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by guitar_lord
NanoGurl,

Tank looks great and I really like your flying squirells!

Quick question:
Did you wash the heck outta that sand before you put it in?
If not when you add your water you're going to have one heck of a cloudy mess! (Ive learnt from experience)

Good luck and keep up with the pics!
Thanks!

Yea, I know I hate sand storms too. I didn't pre-wash it I know what's coming. Figured I would use the test run with fresh water to help clear it out and use a power filter for the rest. I've rinced sand before many times and it never seems to stop the sand storms so i just gave up doing it

Unread 04/14/2007, 06:36 PM   #111
Mojo Jojo
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by NanoGurl
They eat fresh fruit and veggies, mealworms, baked chicken, boiled or scrambled eggs, yogurt, rasins, cornflakes
Baked chicken? Yogurt? Cornflakes? Hmm I think I should get some they may just become my food buddies .

Do you have a filter somewhere? When you fill it up with water you can run that to help clear the water up, and then take it off when crystal clear. Well that's if you are in a hurry to have it clear up. Are you going to add more sand? That stand hides some of the sand. Good job so far.

Unread 04/14/2007, 11:38 PM   #112
NanoGurl
Moved On

Thanks

Yea, I always use a power filter to help clear up the sand storms. Makes it a lot nicer but still takes awhile. No, I'm not going to add more sand, 1" to 2" is enough for my taste and I don't really want to see the side view of the sandbed anyway. Always looks bad after awhile.

Unread 04/14/2007, 11:47 PM   #113
Mojo Jojo
Moved On

Yes very dirty inded. Ever consider getting a sand sifting goby? I like mine since they have so much personality, but gosh there are some mornings where he kicks up the whole tank.

Unread 04/14/2007, 11:53 PM   #114
NanoGurl
Moved On

Never had one. I've had fish that rearrange the tank though so I know what you mean.

Unread 04/15/2007, 12:10 AM   #115
NanoGurl
Moved On

Dancing with my dog! Don't mind the mess, it was messy because of the tank.

Last edited by NanoGurl; 04/15/2007 at 12:25 AM.
Unread 04/15/2007, 12:14 AM   #116
drummereef
Team RC Member

Cute!

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
Unread 04/15/2007, 12:26 AM   #117
NanoGurl
Moved On

lol.. thnx added caption.. yes i'm THAT bored!

Unread 04/15/2007, 12:31 AM   #118
drummereef
Team RC Member

LOL! Now that makes the pic. I don't think the dog's expression is because of you, probably the choice in music.

Unread 04/15/2007, 12:35 AM   #119
kwaters
Premium Member

Nanogurl...what do mean the back half of your house as a zoo? My whole house is a zoo. I think that 1/2 of my electric bill is powering fish tanks, UVB bulbs, heaters and the like! I love the sugar gliders! My daughter wants a few (along with every other animal out there!) but we stop at the small zoo we have going now. Cute dog too!

Hope you didn't have to much of a sand storm. I did not rinse my sand either...but my Octopus cleared it up in 8 hours....awesome.

Kris

Kris Waters

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon tall
Unread 04/15/2007, 01:17 AM   #120
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by drummereef
LOL! Now that makes the pic. I don't think the dog's expression is because of you, probably the choice in music.
lol... nobody likes kenny chesney! ....

"sun tanned toes ticklin the sand.. cold drink chillin in my right hand.. watchin you sleep in the evening light.. restin up for a long, long night.. cuz when the sun goes down.. we'll be groovin.. when the sun goes down.. we'll be feelin alright.. when the sun sinks down.. over the water.. everything gets hotter.. when the sun goes down.. Yeah!"

Unread 04/15/2007, 01:22 AM   #121
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by kwaters
Nanogurl...what do mean the back half of your house as a zoo? My whole house is a zoo. I think that 1/2 of my electric bill is powering fish tanks, UVB bulbs, heaters and the like! I love the sugar gliders! My daughter wants a few (along with every other animal out there!) but we stop at the small zoo we have going now. Cute dog too!

Hope you didn't have to much of a sand storm. I did not rinse my sand either...but my Octopus cleared it up in 8 hours....awesome.

Kris
Thanks!

That wasn't my comment, it was another persons about the back half being a zoo.. but I totally understand what you're saying! Pets are so expensive but worth it You're daughter has great taste

No sand storm yet, no water.. we are waiting for the skimmer and acrylic to build a sump.. so hopefully next week we'll have everything up to test.

We went with the ASM.. how do you like the Octopus? We thought about that one as well but had an ASM before so we went with one we've had.

Unread 04/15/2007, 01:37 AM   #122
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
lol... nobody likes kenny chesney! ....

"sun tanned toes ticklin the sand.. cold drink chillin in my right hand.. watchin you sleep in the evening light.. restin up for a long, long night.. cuz when the sun goes down.. we'll be groovin.. when the sun goes down.. we'll be feelin alright.. when the sun sinks down.. over the water.. everything gets hotter.. when the sun goes down.. Yeah!"

Freakin' Kenny Chesney.

Unread 04/15/2007, 02:07 AM   #123
NanoGurl
Moved On

Quote:
[iOriginally posted by drummereef [/i]
Freakin' Kenny Chesney.
Just for you

Unread 04/15/2007, 02:13 AM   #124
Mojo Jojo
Moved On

Must have been the you save me song

Edit: Dont ask how I know ... lets just say my old HS English teacher got me into some oddball stuff

Unread 04/15/2007, 02:28 AM   #125
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Just for you

ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!! That has to be one of the funniest things I've seen in a looong time. You have way too much time on your hands, obviously.

Closed Thread