Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/01/2017, 07:25 AM   #1
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Aquarium safe spray paint

I've read many sources that krylon fusion for plastics is aquarium safe once allowed to fully cure. I had some on hand and have used it however Im out and dont see this product available a my local hardware stores. I'm planning some more pvc work and need more. At home depot, rust-oleums painters touch 2x was recommended to me given its made for bonding to plastics. What I dont know is if it safe once cured. I assume so once the offgasing completes but wpuld prefer not to assume. Does anyone know if this product is safe?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w
Clowning_Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2017, 08:13 AM   #2
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Manf info with reports but im not entirely sure what im lookimg for
http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...ra-cover/matte

Current Tank Info: Custom Oak Stand | 75G FO Display | 40G Breeder Sump | MarinePure Ceramic Media Plate | Eshopps x-120 skimmer | Mag9 Return | Aqua Ultraviolet Advantage 2000+ 15w
Unread 07/01/2017, 05:00 PM   #3
krazyk148
Registered Member

I just ordered the krylon fusion off of amazon. Plenty of colors if you can wait two days for shipping haha

krazyk148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 04:33 PM   #4
lprettyman
Registered Member

I'm in the same boat. Part of me wants to try it because its over $12 for a can of Krylon online and i'm sure theres nothing wrong with using rustoleum. The other part of me doesn't because of the potential of killing everything in my tank.

However, I saw a post a while back stating rustoleum had something like 3 chemicals, whereas krylon has 15-20 iirc. Who tried it first and found out it was safe? Every hardware store used to carry krylon but now everyone has switched to rustoleum. I guess it's going to take someone trying it first and deeming it safe. Rustoleum is the new norm which krylon used to be. Maybe I'll be the guinea pig...

To answer your question, nobody really knows if it is or not because it hasn't really been tried. I've read plenty of threads asking if it is and people say "sure why not". But it's not tried and true like krylon. If you're feeling froggy like I kinda am and don't have a whole lot invested, try it. If you have a lot to lose (thousands of $$ in corals and verts) don't try it.

lprettyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 05:12 PM   #5
Clowning_Around
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprettyman View Post
I'm in the same boat. Part of me wants to try it because its over $12 for a can of Krylon online and i'm sure theres nothing wrong with using rustoleum. The other part of me doesn't because of the potential of killing everything in my tank.

However, I saw a post a while back stating rustoleum had something like 3 chemicals, whereas krylon has 15-20 iirc. Who tried it first and found out it was safe? Every hardware store used to carry krylon but now everyone has switched to rustoleum. I guess it's going to take someone trying it first and deeming it safe. Rustoleum is the new norm which krylon used to be. Maybe I'll be the guinea pig...

To answer your question, nobody really knows if it is or not because it hasn't really been tried. I've read plenty of threads asking if it is and people say "sure why not". But it's not tried and true like krylon. If you're feeling froggy like I kinda am and don't have a whole lot invested, try it. If you have a lot to lose (thousands of $$ in corals and verts) don't try it.
Well there's a better way to know if its aquarium safe than just testing it. If you look at the technical docs listed on the webpage you can see all the chemicals within. Now it's just a matter of one knowing which is safe vs potentially bad and which don't apply given they are gone after curing. Testing may prove to be a false positive or worse, it presents a long term slow leech that stars affecting things a year or several down the road and you start trouble shooting for other things in the tank with that false sense of it being proven... Given no quick answers I went ahead and ordered some but I didn't pay 12 bucks a can, I paid 6. I usually avoid Amazon for that reason amongst others. Several vendors have it for much less via Google. I just wish i could have nabbed it locally. I think orielly auto had it for 8 but i don't have any near me. I ended up using summit, I grabbed a few extras to keep for the future. I think it was HOS that had them for 5 but you had to buy a 6pk which i didnt want/need. I still would like to know about the rustoleum.

Unread 07/06/2017, 06:38 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Its fine.. Most if not all normal spray paint brands/types are totally fine/inert once fully cured.

Unread 07/09/2017, 12:06 PM   #7
GQsmooth
Registered Member

I've used Krylon Fusion to paint PVC inside a tank, but noticed that it chips quite easily.

GQsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/09/2017, 03:01 PM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQsmooth View Post
I've used Krylon Fusion to paint PVC inside a tank, but noticed that it chips quite easily.
Thats because you didn't prep properly

Proper preparation of the surface is key to proper adhesion..

Unread 02/06/2018, 02:00 PM   #9
Leviluvrr
Registered Member

Krylon fusion for Plastic or just plain krylon fusion? One is half the price of the other...

Leviluvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 03:30 PM   #10
PeteStarks
Registered Member

Prep work and full cure time is extremely important in my experience and I haven't had any issues with chipping yet.

PeteStarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 04:12 PM   #11
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

the home depot painter's touch 2x works just fine. I used it on my return line with parts under water. make sure you follow the instructions on the can and you won't get any paint chipping or coming off.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote