Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/13/2018, 12:48 PM   #1
HarveyO
Registered Member

Water Change during Cycling

I have searched and haven't been able to find an answer. When should you do your first water change for a new tank? After or during its cycle? My tank is currently cycling and the readings are
PH: 8.1
Ammonia: .5
Nitrite: 2.0
Nitrate: 40

HarveyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 12:52 PM   #2
oldhead
Registered Member

Don't change any water until you have 0 ammonia and 0 nirites. After that it's only needed to lower nitrates if they are high. A couple weeks after the cycle has ended and you start to add inhabitants you can start your husbandry.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 12:57 PM   #3
HarveyO
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead View Post
Don't change any water until you have 0 ammonia and 0 nirites. After that it's only needed to lower nitrates if they are high. A couple weeks after the cycle has ended and you start to add inhabitants you can start your husbandry.
Awesome, Thank you for a quick response

Unread 02/13/2018, 12:57 PM   #4
jlmawp
Registered Member

^ times 10

jlmawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 01:06 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
I disagree completely...

Water changes post cycle are not only for nitrate management..
They help replenish depleted elements as well as help remove excessive elements.. Nitrate is only one of those..
(removal of excessive dissolved organics/phosphate/nitrate, replenishment of cal/alk/mag/numerous trace elements,etc...)

Also I personally will recommend the use of water changes during cycling if you are starting to see an excessive level of ammonia (greater then like 3 or 4 ppm as levels higher than that have been shown to be detrimental to baceteria) or rapidly rising/excessive nitrate levels..

Last edited by mcgyvr; 02/13/2018 at 01:12 PM.
mcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 01:14 PM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Interesting, you defy the major and common thinking....but Oh...so absolutely correct under those conditions...Always enjoy reading your responses....have help me so much so thanks..

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 01:18 PM   #7
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Water changes just prolong the inevitable IME. I would just wait until the cycle is complete and then do a small water change. Test your levels, maybe add a few snails or hermit crabs and see how they do for a couple weeks. If all is well do another small water change, test your levels again and so on and so forth. GL.

Last edited by AlSimmons; 02/13/2018 at 01:25 PM.
AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 01:58 PM   #8
HarveyO
Registered Member

Thank you all. I really appreciate the feed back

Unread 02/13/2018, 01:59 PM   #9
oldhead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
I disagree completely...

Water changes post cycle are not only for nitrate management..
They help replenish depleted elements as well as help remove excessive elements.. Nitrate is only one of those..
(removal of excessive dissolved organics/phosphate/nitrate, replenishment of cal/alk/mag/numerous trace elements,etc...)

Also I personally will recommend the use of water changes during cycling if you are starting to see an excessive level of ammonia (greater then like 3 or 4 ppm as levels higher than that have been shown to be detrimental to baceteria) or rapidly rising/excessive nitrate levels..
I felt I gave a good response due to the fact that it is a new tank. Absolutely do a water change SOMETIME AFTER, the cycle has ended. It is a new tank so the things that need to be replenished shouldn't be used up so fast that he has to change the water immediately after the cycle. I also love your responses, most times they are blunt and spot on, but can be a little intimidating to a noobie sometimes.

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 02:43 PM   #10
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Interesting, you defy the major and common thinking.....
All those people are just wrong

Unread 02/13/2018, 02:47 PM   #11
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
I felt I gave a good response due to the fact that it is a new tank. Absolutely do a water change SOMETIME AFTER, the cycle has ended. It is a new tank so the things that need to be replenished shouldn't be used up so fast that he has to change the water immediately after the cycle. I also love your responses, most times they are blunt and spot on, but can be a little intimidating to a noobie sometimes.
The water change during a cycle is just a do it or don't it really doesn't matter "much".. and personally I haven't seen any proof or facts that it matters one way or the other except for there are facts about ammonia levels and bacterial health..

But the "water changes are only for lowering nitrate" is just the part that I really a disagree with and while you might have known better and just gave the "easy answer" I like to always give the "proper answer" from the start to avoid any confusion and to help then learn correctly right from the start..

All good..

Unread 02/13/2018, 04:29 PM   #12
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
The water change during a cycle is just a do it or don't it really doesn't matter "much".. and personally I haven't seen any proof or facts that it matters one way or the other except for there are facts about ammonia levels and bacterial health..

But the "water changes are only for lowering nitrate" is just the part that I really a disagree with and while you might have known better and just gave the "easy answer" I like to always give the "proper answer" from the start to avoid any confusion and to help then learn correctly right from the start..

All good..
hahahahahaa
Water changes are good during a cycle, cause it keeps you busy instead of buying fish too soon.

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, new tank, water change