Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/16/2018, 03:15 PM   #1
Redseadragon12
In Memoriam

SPS dying!

I have a large colony of paletta pink tip and the bottom around the base is blocked from light on one side and has started to STN.. BUT it isnt stopping its now STN right on up the colony even on the well lit parts of the colony. This is a very healthy piece with great polyp extension. It seems like it has just gotten some sort of infection in the shaded area that has now spreading throughtout...
Anyone else experience STN from shaded base branch of SPS colonies?

Redseadragon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 11:16 PM   #2
Mr.Fishtank
Registered Member

All stn/rtn that my acros have had was from my own stupid mistakes. Alk spike or to high of alk with too low of nutrients. I have colonies with shaded bases and none have ever gotten tissue necrosis from lack of light.

I would try dosing some kz flatworm stop to help regenerate the tissue and also try a small amount of iodine for the die off. It's always heartbreaking when a seemingly healthy coral starts to die for no apparent reason.

If you think that it is getting to the point that it will fully die. I would cut off as many frags as you can and glue them close together in a new location. Hope it all works out.

Mr.Fishtank is offline   Reply With Quote